Can I take my desert to go?

LolaBunny

Just got off the Elation. One of our tablemates was not feeling well one night, and her travel companions asked to take something back to her and was told no. They were told to order room service for her.

Marie

wow. That really surprises me. I have never had a waiter say no to any request we've had....

I had a horrible migraine once and was trying to get fruit from the buffet during the short period of down time (just my luck) - a waitress going in asked me if I was ok and not 5 minutes later brought me out a heaping plate...

I was just curious, as a first time cruiser, can I take my desert to go out of the dining room. I am guessing this wouldn't be an issue, but thought I would ask anyway.

Alot of times, I enjoy my cheesecake at 2am :)

yessss you can, even eat one at dinner and take one to your room. how awsom is that? enjoy

pat/sisters two

I was just curious, as a first time cruiser, can I take my desert to go out of the dining room. I am guessing this wouldn't be an issue, but thought I would ask anyway.

Yes you can. The waiters will even give you a cover for it. I've done it many times. :D

I would order it and ask that it be wrapped to go. If the waiter says no you can check out the buffet desserts.

Who wouldn't like cheesecake at 2am?

Payd:)

Just curious - To those who are discouraging the OP and others from asking for dessert to go, could you explain why you think they shouldn't? I swear I'm not trying to be snotty, but it just seems to me that it wouldn't affect anyone else, and I don't know why anyone would be bothered by it. So, what's wrong with taking food out of the dining room?

Agreed. I'm getting the impression that some people on these boards think the cruise line is their own personal transportation system. Anything that you can get away with shouldn't be allowed if they don't think it should be. I believe I'm going to ask for whatever I want and let the chips fall where they may. Certainly nothing unsafe about that, is there? That seems to be the biggest complaint by some.

Frankly, I think that the desserts on the buffet are better than what you get in the dining room. It would be easy to swing by the buffet after the meal in the dining room and take something back to your cabin.

I agree with you on that, most of the time i just get a capaccino for dessert in the dining room.

Those examples of taking food from the dining room are the exception, not the norm.

It's very rare to see anyone w/covered plates leaving the dining room. Not something they would encourage.;)

I just came home from the Fantasy and I saw people carry out covered plates a few times. The lady at the table behind us said her mom did not want to miss the lobster but was sea sick. The server fixed a plate for her to take.

I'm excited to hear that most of the time this isn't an issue - i have this aweful problem of being a small eater - so when i eat out I always miss dessert because I have trouble just finishing a very small single course most of the time - no way I could squeeze in dessert - i keep threatening that one day when I'm eating out with friends, I'll just order dessert instead of a regular meal LOL.... but to be able to eat a small meal, and then take one of those awesome looking desserts out with me sounds just glorious - of course, if they wont' allow it, I'll just have to do what I keep threatening, and one or two nights, skip the meal and head straight for dessert :D

Another alternative is to swing by the buffet dinner and dish up one of the many dessert offerings there for your room. Not as uncommon..... :cool:

DID THAT ON MY LAST CRUISE!!!!:rolleyes:

But I will add in that our tablemate's DH was sick one night and opted to stay in room, and our server asked if she wanted to order him something to take back to the room...

This was on the Conquest...

I'm excited to hear that most of the time this isn't an issue - i have this aweful problem of being a small eater - so when i eat out I always miss dessert because I have trouble just finishing a very small single course most of the time - no way I could squeeze in dessert - i keep threatening that one day when I'm eating out with friends, I'll just order dessert instead of a regular meal LOL.... but to be able to eat a small meal, and then take one of those awesome looking desserts out with me sounds just glorious - of course, if they wont' allow it, I'll just have to do what I keep threatening, and one or two nights, skip the meal and head straight for dessert :D

I had to look at your name, i thought i wrote this becausee it sounds just like me...usually i just order 2 of the shrimp cocktail appitizers and i'm good, on formal night i just order the lobster and can't finish it.

I guess were both cheap dates;)

Thanks for all the replies folks!! I am now super excited to check out the deserts at the buffet too!! Heck, I might have a desert at dinner, take one to go and hit the buffet sweet table hahahaha, I have a total sweet tooth.:D

and order room service later, too!!! :D

My upcoming cruise will be my first on Carnival, but I've had a couple of cruises where a small occasion cake was given to me, aside from the regular dessert, and they've asked me which I wanted to eat now, which to pack up for later, or if I wanted to take both!

If you went to a restaurant that had a price fixe menu for dinner, and didn't have room for dessert, they would gladly wrap it for you. I can't see the difference between this, carrying food from the buffet, or the dining room. Hey, there was the night my son (age 17 at the time) along with his friend, carried a humungous plate of chocolate desserts from the Midnight Chocolate buffet on RCI back to their cabin! :rolleyes: And they ate it all, too--I've seen PLENTY of adults do that!

Robin

I remember one night in the dining room , I just couldnt make a dent on my dinner plate ( had just finished mine & my sons shrimp cocktail appetizers :D ) and the waiters insisted that I take my plate back to the room with me ! They even brought the Maitre De over to let me know that it would be OK:)

I ended up with my dinner and 3 different deserts all wrapped up on seperate plates with LIDS !

I didnt ask for any of it mind you ,

everyone insisted that we take them.

So , I do not think that they really discourage this . Just my own experience and opinion

On one of my cruises, my husband, knowing that I loved the baked alaska, went back to the dining room and asked if it was possible to get another serving for me. They tld him yes, and he brought it to me and it was a great surprize. :D

On my last cruise, I loved the chocolate melting cake so much, that I think for this cruise, I may order it but take it back to the cabin to have on my balcony. That would prevent me from getting to full and eating it just to eat it. :p

And yes, I know I could go to the buffet and / or order room service and have already done this - but, they dont offer chocolate melting cake. ;)

As a matter of fact I asked that my daughters chocolate melting cake be placed to go. She ordered and after it arrived she realized that she was too full to eat it.

Since melting cake is not on the room service menu, we took it to go!

YEP, well, it seems, it depends on the ship etc... I have seen it done many many times, including at the table I was sitting at. The HW did not even flinch. Ok, now that I think about it, once I did hear the HW say no, but that was for lobster/shrimp/seafood, so the woman ordered a steak, and several chocolate deserts.. and, this was after having dinner at the table. She and her husband carred out 4 or 5 covered plates….

All you need to do is ask and the WORST that can happen is you will be told no. (If they do tell you no, demand a free cruise!)

Archived