Galveston Eats

zantedeschia

Been eating in Galveston a lot from making weekly runs down there. Thought I'd post my opinions on the places we've been eating at.

Queen's BBQ 3428 Ave S - I thought it had some serious flaws so I won't be returning but if you're an out-of-stater wanting to experience true Texas BBQ, it's authentic enough for that.

Saltgrass Grill 1502 Seawall - Good for a steak and salad. Went back a second time but their penchant for overseasoning will probably make me look elsewhere next time. A plus is they cook their steaks on the rare side which may be a downside to others. A bit pricey for lunch.

Hooter's 2227 Seawall - Hey, it's Hooter's. I wanted a draft beer. They provided. Nifty location on a pier that extends into the water. Favourite Hooter's pasttime - counting the typos on the menu.

Olympia Grill 4908 Seawall - Excellent Greek food. Been twice and plan to go again. Good selection of Greek wines and beers. A bit pricey for lunch.

China Island 6028 Heards (@ 61st) - Some of the worst Chinese I've had in I don't know how long. Buffet style. The fish in the fish dish was very fresh, even tho I wasn't surprised, I found that amusing given the quality of the rest of the buffet.

Cajun Greek 2226 61st - More Cajun than Greek. Was good but nothing impressive to cause me to go back.

Gaido's 3802 Seawall - Aside from some terrible gumbo, everything here was simply superb. I'd go back but it was $$$$ for lunch! (around $75 for 2)

Casey's - next door to Gaido's, part of the family. Hated it. My broiled seafood was burnt, tough and dry, the rice mushy. Maybe I should have stuck to the fried seafood platter type stuff but everyone does that competently and I try to stay away from fried these days. My daughter got fettucini alfredo with chicken on top and she said the chicken was overdone as well.

Marble Slab Creamery - yum! (in the Randall's center on 61st, don't feel like looking up the address :p )

My bf says he's burning out on Galveston but everytime the week rolls around, he suggests going. So possibly more reviews to come.

This is great of you to post. Even though I have been down there alot too, I usually dont eat at a bunch of places. Try The Spot. I hear it is really good. I love McCallister's Deli!! It is a new chain down here and there is only a few in the whole Houston area. Fantastic cheese soup and great iced tea! My kids love Rainforest Cafe, but I think it is overpriced subpar food. I do like the coconut curry sauce they serve with the chicken strips. Let us know where else you eat. Even as a "local", I enjoy reading the info and am sure other travelers would too.:)

We're in Galveston and leaving on the Ecstasy tomorrow. The staff here at the Quality Inn recommended Shrimp and More. If you don't mind ODing on fried food, they have great food - DW had the crab stuffed shrimp and loved it. Great hush puppies, too. It's located on the corner of 29th and O.

We're in Galveston and leaving on the Ecstasy tomorrow. The staff here at the Quality Inn recommended Shrimp and More. If you don't mind ODing on fried food, they have great food - DW had the crab stuffed shrimp and loved it. Great hush puppies, too. It's located on the corner of 29th and O.

DW corrected me. It's Shrimp and Stuff, not Shrimp and More. Either way, it was very good. And lots of people for a Sunday nite. Sorry for the mistake... icon11.gif

It's luck pretty much at any restaurant when it comes to a good meal. Once in awhile there's one that never fails your, but they are oh so rare. We ate at Casey's and I had the broiled seafood (shrimp, scallops and fish). It was wonderful - not dry at all. Perhaps yours was the "luck" of the draw; the restaurant was packed and I judge a business by the number of patrons (locals particularly).

Casey's - next door to Gaido's, part of the family. Hated it. My broiled seafood was burnt, tough and dry, the rice mushy. Maybe I should have stuck to the fried seafood platter type stuff but everyone does that competently and I try to stay away from fried these days. My daughter got fettucini alfredo with chicken on top and she said the chicken was overdone as well.

I had an awful experience, too! I LOVE shrimp, but this shrimp was just all-around disgusting... it was obviously not fresh. I also made the mistake of trying one of their own salad dressings, which was equally gross. I would never go back to this restaraunt, and let me tell you... I am NOT a picky person!

• 2 weeks later...
The Spot is awesome.

Was down in Galveston yesterday. Saw Ecstasy! :) Was driving down Broadway and looked down a cross street, saw the red funnel and zipped over to Harborside to wave hi! :)

Anyhow, tried The Spot when we were there. First of all, there's no table service. You have to go to a counter to order, then no one brings your food, you have to go pick it up when it's ready. Was going to get a salad and then changed my mind and got the special which was described as pan sauteed crab stuffed tilapia. My companion got a fried shrimp poboy. Tried to order a beer but was directed to the bar in a separate building, said they still had happy hour going.

Went to get a Blue Moon on tap. The bad part came when no one behind the bar would wait on me. It wasn't me, my bf stood with me for about 5 minutes before he decided to go check on the food and grab a table. I got really pissed about this, the bartender wouldn't look at me but waited on everyone else; other employees would walk behind the bar, do something, then leave, again without ever looking at me. I lost it when a man came up to the bar, stood right next to me and the bartender went right up to him - he wanted to close his tab. By this time I stood up on a chair and still got ignored but one of the people that kept wandering back behind the bar finally saw me and asked if I needed something. I was pissed, I yelled. Got my Blue Moon for $2, didn't tip. I shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes to get a beer, sheesh.

Found my bf, he had the food. Between being really thirsty and rather irritated, I downed my beer in 2 swallows, which filled me up and I got full after a mere few bites of my fish. It came with red potatoes and julienned veggies, was a nice presentation. However, the fish was breaded so it soaked up the grease, plus the crab stuffing was a bread stuffing, not the crab I thought it would be. It was tasty but too heavy from the grease. My bf's po-boy was nothing to write home about tho he said the onion rings were really good. He wished he had ordered a burger cause he said they looked good.

On the plus side, it wasn't very expensive. I was unimpressed, too many other places in Galveston to try.

We discovered Benno's when we were in Galveston a couple of weeks ago. They serve Cajun seafood and it was WONDERFUL!! Everything was excellant. While you do go to the counter to order, they brought our food to us when it was ready. They were more than happy to keep our drinks refilled etc. They have indoor or outdoor dining and the cost was very reasonable. They have some awesome bread pudding. They were also most hospitable about packing up our to go boxes and getting us plastic ware (to eat bread pudding at hotel). Needless to say--she got a big tip.

I thinkg the address is 1200 Seawall which is about 12th and Seawall.

Where would be a good place to go for Thanksgiving dinner? We will be getting off the Ecstacy that day.

You might call some of the nicer hotels and see if they are offering a special for Thanksgiving. The Galvez, The Treemont, and the San Luis might all be doing something.

• 1 month later...

When in Galveston, we always eat at least once at the Olympic Grill. Great greek food and usually have lamb chops on the grill every evening. Good selection of greek wines imported from the old country.

Hypo

We have also eaten at the Olympia Grill...it's in a strip center on Seawall Blvd. It does have good food and also offers American as well as Greek.

Another good place to eat seafood is Clary's. You'll have to ask directions from a local or look it up on Mapquest. It's been in Galveston for many, many years.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm thinking of trying Cafe Madrid while there. Has anyone here ever eaten there? I think it's relatively new. I've been to tapas restaurants just a couple times, and enjoyed them both. I thought it might be good, since it's not something I get the chance to try most of the time.

Yagga's (sp?) Cafe, walking distance from the Harbor House. Don't remember exactly what street, but we had some of the best sandwiches and salads there. Hoping they will bring some ships back like the Rhapsody as not everyone likes the Mega line :eek:

Yagga's (sp?) Cafe, walking distance from the Harbor House. Don't remember exactly what street, but we had some of the best sandwiches and salads there. Hoping they will bring some ships back like the Rhapsody as not everyone likes the Mega line :eek:

Yaga's is located right on the Strand (2314 Strand St) close to the ships. I like Gaido's on the Seawall for seafood. It's been around ages and has a good reputation. I am like you, I really miss the Rhapsody. We had some great times on her and I was sad to see her leave!

Archived