Galveston Eats

zantedeschia

Ha-ha-ha! You found me Joan!!;) Thanks for the recommendation! We'll be eating at Fisherman's Wharf on Saturday night before our cruise:)

Donna, you can't go wrong with Fisherman's Wharf and - remember - for us it will be Valentine's Day! What better time to splurge!

We have a home on the Bolivar Peninsula and spend time in Galveston. Unfortunately, the ferries are having difficulty finding staff so, the trip from Bolivar to Galveston can now take as long as 1-2 hours or more, even though the trip from ferry landing to ferry landing only takes 15-20 minutes. There are no taxis in Bolivar but, you can drive down to the ferry landing in Galveston, park and walk on to the ferry. You can take the ferry across and watch the dolphins swim alongside and feed the seagulls (from the back of the boat). It's free!! Bring some bread and hold it above your head and they will take it out of your hands. You just stay on the ferry, wait for them to load the cars on the Bolivar side (about 15 minutes) and ride back to Galveston. Your kids will LOVE it! (Make sure you bring a camera and take pictures of our lighthouse! It sheltered people in the 1900 hurricane.) Notice that each of the ferries is a different color. They are the colors of the alma mater of the person they are named for. ie, maroon and white, Texas A&M; orange and white, University of Texas. If you don't care about the time, Steve's Landing is an excellent bet for dinner in Bolivar (Crystal Beach). They are on the bayside and they have much better seafood than you will find in Galveston. http://www.eatatsteveslanding.com/

Stingarees did recently have a fire but, they are open again and better than ever. They are also on the bayside. http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2147.asp I couldn't find a direct link to Stingarees. Just make sure you arrive at either one by about 5:30 or you may wait for an hour or more for a table. Yes, they are that good! I personally find Steve's to be more consistent in their offerings. Crystal Beach is a sleepy little community that is growing faster than many of us want to see but, it still is really not commercialized. We have several stores, two traffic signals and a strip mall now but, the grocery store is still known by the locals as The Big Store. If you stay in Galveston and enjoy Mexican food, you can't beat the Original Mexican Cafe'! They are on Market and 14th street in an old house just a few blocks from the Strand. Their guacamole is wonderful! It is the oldest continually operating restaurant on the island and is very popular. They also have a Rainforest Cafe on the Seawall that is a lot of fun. I really don't care for most of the seafood I have had in Galveston. Especially in the tourist areas. It seems like they feel as though they don't have to try very hard. Kemah, which is across the causeway( I-45 N, exit at Texas City) toward Houston also has many fine restaurants and a boardwalk with rides and a section with games of chance like you find at a carnival. They have The Aquarium, good seafood and wonderful displays of fish; The Cadillac Bar for Mexican food, not as good as the cafe' mentioned above and Landry's seafood. Be aware that these are chain restaurants owned by the Fertitta family and, while they are good, they are chains and fairly expensive. They also have a Crab House that is really good. The atmosphere there is wonderful because you can look out most of the restaurants and see the yachts in their slips. Even so, you can't beat Galveston for atmosphere and history. They have beautiful homes to tour (The Bishop's Palace is one), a large cemetery with really old grave sites, the Hotel Galvez, the Seawall, I could go on & on. Have a wonderful trip and I hope you enjoy our little corner of the world. My husband and I are sailing on the Conquest 11/30/2008. We finally got tired of watching the cruise ships go out without us!!!

I have just returned home from a wonderful dinner at Gaido's. I can assure you that the seafood is fresh. If you sit at the bar while waiting for your table, you can watch a man (via ceiling mirror) filet FRESH fish. I can assure you that many of the smaller restaurants on the island serve fresh as well. Try Saltwater Grill or Rudy and Paco's. I have watched them shuck FRESH oysters at Oyster's cafe. That being said, as an Islander, please try the locally owned restaurants, not a chain that you can get at home. The quality of food, and the atmosphere will be unique, and you may just get to meet an Island Character or two. The trolley stops about 2 blocks from Harbor House, and for 1.25, it is a unique way to see the Island. A good way to make plans is via the website : www.Galveston.com.

A key for getting around the Island. The streets are set up in a grid, starting at Ave A (also, named Harborside) and progressing towards the beach. If you are in town and your street has a name, look on the same sign for a letter or a number. The numbers start towards the East end of the Island, and the numbers get higher as you travel west. Harbor house is at 21st street. It is quite close to many restaurants, art galleries and shopping, as well as clubs and coffee shops. It is fun to just get out and walk! There is a large area downtown, form Ave A (harborside, to Ave E (Post office St), bounded by 25th street on the west and 20th street, with Post office and the Strand (Ave B) having the biggest concentration of places to do/see/spend. I have lived down town for almost a year, and am never lacking for some thing to see/do.

I am so happy, pabs4 & mojo boogie, to see some Galveston boosters speak out. We live about 30 minutes north of Galveston and it is perhaps our favorite place. We love the Strand, the beach (it's not the Caribbean but it's ours!), the historical district, the restaurants. If you can't find something you like in Galveston, you're just not trying hard enough!

Thanks for all the info!!!! I love going to Galveston, wish I could get there more often. I just knew I was getting fesh seafood, it was to delicious not to be. There is still many more places for me to check out and I am looking foward to it. Please continue to post reviews of the restaurants you enjoy, locals and travelors.

Thank You

Julie

On a recent trip to Galveston I asked the Captain of the boat for the Harbor Tour which restaurant she recommended. She said that the ones on Galveston Island use frozen seafood, but that Stinagree in Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula and another one there, I believe it is Larry's Landing, used fresh seafood. But she said that Stingaree was closed due to a fire. Well, we are going to Galveston Friday before our Saturday cruise, so I just called Stingaree and they are open for business now. Just take the ferry (and watch the dolphins) to Bolivar Peninsula and drive to Crystal Beach. It is on the Intercoastal Canal with fantastic views of the ships and an outstanding sunset. We watched hundreds of pelicans flying in to nest at sunset on one visit. The food is terrific, too. Can't wait to go back.

Well, I will be in Galveston at the Harbor House on Friday before our Saturday departure on Ecstacy. If we have the time and energy, we will take the ferry to Bolivar. If we are pooped and it is late, it will be Fisherman's Warf or Willie G's next door, or if we feel like driving a short way, then Gaido's or it's adjacent sister restaurant, Casey's.

To all of you above who are cruising soon: Have a wonderful time and enjoy Galveston! Our water has been sooo pretty this summer but Dolly is making a mess of things right now. Hope your trip is WONDERFUL!!!!:)

I wish I was there staying at my favorite hotel [ The Commodore ]. It would be dinner at The Spot on the patio even in the rain. I would get up bright and early and go shelling.

To all of you about to sail, I am jealous, still have a little more than a year to go before it is Bon-Voyage for me. Have a lovely cruise everyone.

Julie

Just about 6 and 1/2 months before we cruise....that's still too long:(

But on the bright side, :) we are looking forward to staying at the Harbor House for the first time and checking out Fisherman's Wharf......

Galveston is a great place and I'm glad we have such a nice town and port to sail away from.......:)

My DH, kiddos and I tried Fish Tales @ 37th ish and Seawall..........great seafood. I always eat at the Spot but decided to try some place new and really enjoyed their food. The menu is very good. Wait staff was very fast and friendly.

On a recent trip to Galveston I asked the Captain of the boat for the Harbor Tour which restaurant she recommended. She said that the ones on Galveston Island use frozen seafood, but that Stinagree in Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula and another one there, I believe it is Larry's Landing, used fresh seafood. But she said that Stingaree was closed due to a fire. Well, we are going to Galveston Friday before our Saturday cruise, so I just called Stingaree and they are open for business now. Just take the ferry (and watch the dolphins) to Bolivar Peninsula and drive to Crystal Beach. It is on the Intercoastal Canal with fantastic views of the ships and an outstanding sunset. We watched hundreds of pelicans flying in to nest at sunset on one visit. The food is terrific, too. Can't wait to go back.

When we were in Galveston last March, we ate at Gaido's one night. While waiting for our table we watched a fishmonger filleting about 400 pounds of a redfish (probably snapper) they were definitely fresh.

hypo

$$$

Shearns at Moody Garden Hotel

Steakhouse at San Luis Hotel

Rudi and Pacos

M&M Palms

Other:

Olympia Greek

Saltwater Grill

Mosquito Grill

Original Mexican

Seaside Bistro

Bennos

Marios

Di Bellas

Luigi's

Ski Bar - Sushi

Spot - Family Hamburger and separate Biker Bar

Lecroy - Cajun

Gaidos - Historical

Speculoos

Sunflower Bakery

I like Stingaree at Crystal Beach. 409.684.2731

Take the Ferry to Bolivar and drive to Crystal Beach.

Unfortunately Stingaree's is closed due to a fire, found this out after taking the boat all the way over there from Clear Lake a few weekends ago.....:mad: Really wanted a Stingarita

I think Landry's is closed down.

Landry's is not closed. It is very much open on the Seawall and always packed in the Summer...:(

Fisherman's Warf next to the cruise terminal on Harborside Dr. is good, plus the view is great. You can watch the ships and boats.

Fisherman's Wharf is really good and the view is great. Willie G's is good also and also has a great view.

Benno's is our favorite. My dh loves that place, the portions are huge and the service is great.

The Original Mexican cafe is another one of our favorites, on the corner of 14th and Postoffice. Great mexican food and big margaritas. There is also a bakery right acrose the street.

Yaga's cafe on the Strand is fun and has great food and margaritas:)

Gaidos and Fishtales are our least favoritse and I think they are slightly overrated and overpriced.

Give Bennos a try for some really good reasonable priced seafood.

The only thing that I can think about this post is that the Harbor tour person was being sarcastic..as in "ask a stupid question..." Awww c'mon, this is an island with a good supply of fresh seafood. If you go to a locally owned place, you will get fresh. If you go to a chain place you will get whatever supplies them.

Stingaree is open and Original Mexican is at 14th and Market.

The bakery is Sunflower Bakery at 14th and Post Office. Another favorite is Mosquito Cafe on 14th down the street from Sunflower.

Glad to hear Stingarees is open again.

Didn't care for Mosquito Cafe.

Original Mexican cafe is on Market and 14th but you can take Postoffice, turn left and then left into the parking lot which is in the back. :)

Archived