Galveston Eats

zantedeschia

• 4 weeks later...

We eat at Benno's every time we are in Galveston. Very reasonably priced, no frills cajun seafood. I usually get a spiced shrimp thing, but I can't remember what it's called - but Yum-O! We also like Salsa's for Mexican food. Very good, but gets crowded fast.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have tried Casey's each of the last two years and really enjoyed the food both times...could barely walk back to the car we were so stuffed...I've read other people who have said the food there isnt any good, but guess that goes to show we are all endowed with different taste..we plan on going there again next trip :)

• 2 weeks later...

Twoweeks ago, we ate at Olympia Grill, again. It was wonderful. Larry (the owner) has a lamb shank specialty that was wonderful. Two meaty lamb shanks in a tomato type sauce. The meat literally was falling off the bone. I asked him how long they have to cook it, since the shank is pretty tough. He said it takes about two days to prepare the dish. First they marinate the shank in olive oil, herbs and spices for 24 hours. Then they braise the meat. Then the shanks are boiled, but wouldn't tell me how long. Then they are baked. It was absolutely delicious, and is my new favorite at Olympia.

Larry told me that they are building a new 1.5 million restaurant, down near the cruise ship piers on the waterfront, but that they will still keep the Seawall Boulevard location open.

Hypo

• 3 months later...

We are going on our second cruise on the Conquest next February and staying at the Harbor House. I've been told Fisherman's Wharf is a good place to eat dinner the night before. (We like to be able to walk to dinner from our hotel.) Has anyone eaten there, or what restaurant would you recommend within walking distance of the port? Thanks in advance:)

Fisherman's Wharf is good, but my favorite Galveston restaurant is Rudy and Paco's. It's on the corner of Postoffice and 21st Street. It's in walking distance (5 blocks) from the Harbour House. But Fisherman's Wharf is right next door so it's your closest restaurant.

Fisherman's Wharf is good as is Mickey G's(It's owned by Landry's) next door.

It's Willie G's next to Fisherman's Wharf. Although these are OK...I still am a fan of Gaido's, but it's definitely not within walking distance of Harbor House. There's also Luigi's...an italian restaurant right down off The Strand. I've never been there but hear it's good.

Not within walking distance either but we loved it is Benno's. The food was wonderful and we sat outside and watched the ocean. Not elegant by any means but awesome food.

We love Benno's too, and eat there every time we're in Galveston. We also like Mario's for Italian and Salsa's for Mexican. None of these are in walking distance of Harbor House, though.

Not walking distance....

But there's a GREAT "Hole in the Wall" on 39th and O called Shrimp n Stuff. Very reasonably priced, fabulous seafood...and the best seafood gumbo that I've had outside of Louisiana (I'm a New Orleans native - so I know good gumbo)!

I can't wait to go eat there the night before our cruise. August 31 can't get here soon enough!

Ashley :-)

Fishermans Warf is excellent but I love to go to The Spot on 37th and seawall, you would have to drive. I mentioned in another post that the Harbor House recently added a new restaurant. Willies is very good and very expensive and you can definately walk there. Joes Crab Shack is right by the Harbor House also.

Julie

I forgot about Willie G's. It's even closer than Fisherman's Wharf! It's pretty good too.

My husband told me last night that a Greek restaurant will be open right by the Harbour House by September so it will be in full swing when you come in February. The owners of the Olympia Grill on the Seawall are opening up a really nice new place on the harbour. It should be really nice.

Fisherman's wharf is alright. I've never really found it to be worth the money when there are much better places to eat for a lot less.

The Spot left me and my party with food poisoning. I also go to school with a waitress there and she told me the only thing they make in-house is one of the desserts, everything else is frozen and trucked in.

My favorite restaurant on the island will always be The Original Mexican Cafe. Yum.

I have tried all of the above and they are good. If I have the time I like to take the ferry to Bolivar (great for dolphin watching) and eat at Stingaree. But a few weeks ago I was told by a local that it had burned down. She told me that there was another favorite on Bolivar called Larry's Landing, so I might try that next. She claims that Galveston restaurants do not use fresh seafood but frozen, so the locals like to go to Stingaree and Larry's Landing because they use fresh seafood. They are also on the intercoastal canal and it is fun to watch the traffic on the canal.

Disappointed to hear anyone say they suffered food poisoning from The Spot. I have eaten there countless time with friends and never had a problem. That restaurant is always packed!

We have friends in Houston and Galveston, according to them many restaurants in that area serve fresh gulf seafood, it would be crazy not to. I think I will check this out, would be greatly discouraged to find out differently.

Julie

I know it sounds strange, but many of the restaurants on the island don't use fresh fish (except for maybe the special of the day or something) but much of it is frozen.

As for the Spot, another thing I didn't like was that there was a filler of some kind in the meat. I like my burgers to be 100% and fresh.

I know it sounds strange, but many of the restaurants on the island don't use fresh fish (except for maybe the special of the day or something) but much of it is frozen.

As for the Spot, another thing I didn't like was that there was a filler of some kind in the meat. I like my burgers to be 100% and fresh.

Just a question. We kept a boat in the y acht basin in Galveston back in the 70's, and there used to be a place called Hills, on Seawall just west of Gaidos, I think. Is it still there? the food was tremendous and very reasonable. ( and the sea trout was fresh too_

I'd forgotten about Hill's. Actually I think it was located where Joe's Crab Shack is on Seawall Blvd. It's been gone for quite a while. It was good food. We used to go to Clary's...I don't know if it's still there, but it was good food. Been a long time since we were there!

Archived