Galveston Eats

zantedeschia

Gaido's Seafood on the seawall, they have a half portion lunch menu that is outstanding for around $14-$16.

The Spot is another good place to eat, very laid back, lots of bikers.

Landry's Seafood, Joes Crab Shack, Bennos, and there are several chain Mexican places, all of which are on the Seawall.

Shrimp and Stuff on 39th and O is pretty good, nothing fancy, food served on a tray at pickup station.

Galveston offers everything from fast food to white table cloth. Galveston.com has a listing of restaurants and their menus.

Walking distance from Harbor House: Rudy & Paco's - South American (the absolute best - reservations a must), Saltwater Grill - seafood (across from Rudy's), Luigi's - Italian, Palm M&M - steaks, Olympia - Greek should be open at Harbor House (under construction now) and Fisherman's Wharf - seafood.

We live on the island and eat out at least once a week.

clearlakecruisers,

Do you know if any of the restaurants in the Houston Galveston area serve fresh seafood or fish beyond the daily special or catch of the day? Please say they do. It isn't the only reason I travel from Austin to Galveston but it is one of them. All this time I was the impression I was delighting myself with fresh seafood. When my family travels down from Iowa we make a trip to Galveston so they cans see the beautiful Gulf and enjoy the seafood also.

Thanks

Julie

I have tried all of the above and they are good. If I have the time I like to take the ferry to Bolivar (great for dolphin watching) and eat at Stingaree. But a few weeks ago I was told by a local that it had burned down. She told me that there was another favorite on Bolivar called Larry's Landing, so I might try that next. She claims that Galveston restaurants do not use fresh seafood but frozen, so the locals like to go to Stingaree and Larry's Landing because they use fresh seafood. They are also on the intercoastal canal and it is fun to watch the traffic on the canal.

I do believe that Stingaree's restaurant is open because a friend of ours just ate there this week and said how great the seafood was. Also, I think the other restaurant on Boliver, is Steve's Landing, just down the road a piece from Stingaree;also a great local seafood place. BTW, you're right, the ferries are a wonderful way to see this area and watch the dolphins!

Well... the OP did ask for places they can walk to from Harbor House and we kinda got off track since there are so many good places to eat on or near the island. Tortuga's is a bit far to walk.

082502btw_prv.gif, most of my Rhapsody Roll Call met there the night before our cruise. We had a great time with good food and good fellowship! There were about 50 of us there.

The main topic of conversation was what Wilma was going to do to us that next week. As it turned out, we made none of the three ports on our itinerary but our Capitan made two others as replacements. I call it my "Boll Weevil" cruise since we were wandering all over the Caribbean "lookin' for a home"! The 15-20 foot seas were a problem for most of the passengers, but then I like roller coasters. Love a good one with lots of "hang time"!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Haven't seen Tortuga's mentioned. I guess that's not a good sign?

Rick

Hi Rick, I'm the OP and we ate at Tortuga's last time and it was awful:eek: We would never eat there again!! We are staying at the Harbor House so I'm guessing the only places within walking distance would be: Joe's Crab Shack, Fisherman's Wharf and Willie G's. Does anyone have a particular opinion about which one of these would be the best? I downloaded Fisherman's Wharf menu and it looked really good.

Thanks for your input:)

Julie Koefoot,

Well, I have heard both sides of this and, actually, I'm not sure if all the seafood in Galveston restaurants is fresh or not. I find it hard to believe that most places wouldn't have fresh shrimp as the boats come in right off the Gulf and there are numerous places in the area for the public to buy fresh shrimp/seafood.

Sorry for the poor response. I'll check with my son-in-law, a French chef, who worked in several Galveston restaurants a few years ago and see what he knows.

Hi Rick, I'm the OP and we ate at Tortuga's last time and it was awful:eek: We would never eat there again!! We are staying at the Harbor House so I'm guessing the only places within walking distance would be: Joe's Crab Shack, Fisherman's Wharf and Willie G's. Does anyone have a particular opinion about which one of these would be the best? I downloaded Fisherman's Wharf menu and it looked really good.

Thanks for your input:)

There are several places on the Strand within walking distance. Luigis' Italian is popular,as I mentioned,Yagas',there is a great(but little known)restaurant called Bistro LeCroy that serves New Orleans style seafood.I have eaten there several times.The owner came from New Orleans.It all depends on what you want.They are all casual dress.Oh,and there is a unique Fuddruckers also.

Texasfirefighter,

Where is the Bistro LeCroy located? l try to get to Galveston 3 times a year and have a few favorite restaurants but would like to try some new ones.

julie

It is on the east end of the Strand on the south side of the street.If you know where the trolley pickup is by the little parking lot,well it is across the street from there and down just a little more.It's in a neat old building.Hope this helps.Sorry it took a while to answer.

Julie' date='

Click here: http://www.galveston.com/bistrolecroy/

082502btw_prv.gif, the Kat in the Ratings & Reviews is NOT me. Never been there. However, after reading about the place, I sure do wish I had!!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

This sounds like the place to try.. I will be there in Sept. but anyone goes sooner, let us know how it is..:)

I have eaten there several times and loved it each time.I also like the building which just adds to it.

Were there any "... ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night.." in the supposedly haunted back room?

Kat 020105_emYA15_prv.gif

My first choice is The Spot! So much fun, and love sitting out watching the water and everyone on the sidewalk! But, you cant walk. So, between Joes and Fishermans Wharf, my hubby being a seafood lover, thinks FW is best. I dont like seafood, so, Im not fond of either one. We ate at Joes,and The Spot this past Feb before our cruise, and Joes was just ok, according to about 40 ppl.... the drinks are good! :) Have fun! Dot

We have eaten at Fisherman's Wharf and the food was outstanding. Granted, it's a little pricey but well worth it. Would definitely go back again. We ate outside so if the weather is nice, I highly recommend doing that. I cannot comment on the other restaurants, but we have a Joe's Crab Shack here and it's all right. We've never eaten at Willie G's. We loved Fisherman's Wharf. Travelgirl

I live in Houston but spend lots of time in Galveston and lived down on Galveston Bay for awhile. Gaido's is always the fav for us but I like Shrimp and Stuff for quick, laid back dining. Hill's was always good but it is gone now. I guess they had to make way for the chains like Joe's Crab Shack and the like. Paco's is good for Central/South American fare, Willie G's is usually good. But I do think most do use fresh seafood - I can't speak for Joe's though. But I've been in the kitchen at Gaido's and seen the proof of fresh.

We have eaten at Fisherman's Wharf and the food was outstanding. Granted, it's a little pricey but well worth it. Would definitely go back again. We ate outside so if the weather is nice, I highly recommend doing that. I cannot comment on the other restaurants, but we have a Joe's Crab Shack here and it's all right. We've never eaten at Willie G's. We loved Fisherman's Wharf. Travelgirl

Ha-ha-ha! You found me Joan!!;) Thanks for the recommendation! We'll be eating at Fisherman's Wharf on Saturday night before our cruise:)

Archived