Deposits etc.....

In2why

So as I mentioned in another post I cancelled our cruise we were booked on through a group because it was the wrong ship at the wrong time....for us. I have found another cruise and I am looking into the best prices and situation. My question is about booking and deposits. If I book through a PVP do I pay it all at once or are the payments somehow broken up. I know with the group cruise it was in 3 installments. Also is that how it usually works with a TA as well. I see posts on final payments so I would imagine so?

Also if I choose to go with an online TA and the price is reduced do I still get the reduction? Are there any other benefits to booking with a TA versus a PVP that you can think of? Thanks in advance.

So as I mentioned in another post I cancelled our cruise we were booked on through a group because it was the wrong ship at the wrong time....for us. I have found another cruise and I am looking into the best prices and situation. My question is about booking and deposits. If I book through a PVP do I pay it all at once or are the payments somehow broken up. I know with the group cruise it was in 3 installments. Also is that how it usually works with a TA as well. I see posts on final payments so I would imagine so?

Also if I choose to go with an online TA and the price is reduced do I still get the reduction? Are there any other benefits to booking with a TA versus a PVP that you can think of? Thanks in advance.

If you book your cruise thru the regular reservations deposit, it will be a two step payment i.e. DEPOSIT and FINAL PAYMENT. It works a little differently with a group booking as you have already seen. As far as price reduction, this is something you will want to ask any TA's you are considering using as well as possible cancellation/change fees they may charge.

I am not going to get into the booking with a TA vs. PVP controversy as I am a TA and feel I willl be considered biased on that issue that has been beat to death with all the different opinions.

YOu make your deposit amount is determined by the legnth of your cruise. Then you can pay as you see fit up until the final payment is due. (booking through Carnival by phone or by website that is!):) I don't know about TA's as I have not used one

It also depends on how far in the future you are sailing. If its within a couple of months you have to pay the entire amount at the time of booking.

Yes good point.

I remember what we did on three of our sailings...

Pride - Booked a year in advance = $500 deposit ($250PP), and final payment due approx 60 days before sailing. Or you can pay a little bit as you see fit every so often from the time you make your deposit up until the point final payment is due. That way its not such a big hit at once.

Freedom - Booked 16 months in advance - $1000 deposit ($500PP EUROPE), and final payment due approx 90 days before sailing. Or you can pay a little bit as you see fit every so often from the time you make your deposit up until the point final payment is due. That way its not such a big hit at once.

Fascination - Booked 2 months before sailing - 100% payment due at time of booking since it wasnt far off, less than 60 days. Had to pay entire amount in order to make reservation.

Note that if you book a cruise and you cancel before final payment date, your full deposit amount is 100% refunded. A lot of people will make a deposit on a cruise they think they might go on so they can guarantee the space and price. Like I said, if they cancel before the final payment due date, they dont lose anything.

If you book your cruise thru the regular reservations deposit, it will be a two step payment i.e. DEPOSIT and FINAL PAYMENT. It works a little differently with a group booking as you have already seen. As far as price reduction, this is something you will want to ask any TA's you are considering using as well as possible cancellation/change fees they may charge.

I am not going to get into the booking with a TA vs. PVP controversy as I am a TA and feel I willl be considered biased on that issue that has been beat to death with all the different opinions.

Actually, that is not true. Yes you make your deposit, but you can also make payments up until the day your Final Payment is due. When the price of your cruise goes down, call your TA or PVP and they will reduce your cruise down to the amount it has gone down. I booked our cruise in late June, and the price went down the end of July. I called my PVP and she changed it when I was on the phone. They will do this up until the day you sail.

Actually, that is not true. Yes you make your deposit, but you can also make payments up until the day your Final Payment is due. When the price of your cruise goes down, call your TA or PVP and they will reduce your cruise down to the amount it has gone down. I booked our cruise in late June, and the price went down the end of July. I called my PVP and she changed it when I was on the phone. They will do this up until the day you sail.

No, I am not incorrect in my statement... I advised what the NORMAL PROCEDURE is if booked thru regular reservations PVP , etc., however guests are welcome to make payments along and along as long as it is paid in full by the final payment date. Regarding if your cruise fare has been reduced, it is at the disgretion of the cruiseline or TA you have booked with to either refund, offer an upgrade or possibly a shipboard credit, but are not obligated to do so, but usually it does occur when applicable.

No, I am not incorrect in my statement... I advised what the NORMAL PROCEDURE is if booked thru regular reservations PVP , etc., however guests are welcome to make payments along and along as long as it is paid in full by the final payment date. Regarding if your cruise fare has been reduced, it is at the disgretion of the cruiseline or TA you have booked with to either refund, offer an upgrade or possibly a shipboard credit, but are not obligated to do so, but usually it does occur when applicable.

I am only going by what my PVP told me when I booked our cruise. She said that we would get the "deals" up to the day we sail.

actually this is not entirely true. Friends of ours are booked on the same cruise as us in February. They can only get one price reduction at no charge. After that if the price goes down again there is a $50 administrative fee each time.

This is with one of the BIG online agencies.

Bill

actually this is not entirely true. Friends of ours are booked on the same cruise as us in February. They can only get one price reduction at no charge. After that if the price goes down again there is a $50 administrative fee each time.

This is with one of the BIG online agencies.

Bill

I have gone with a Carnival PVP so that may be the difference.

That honestly makes no sense, charging for a price reduction. Isn't that an oxymoron :confused:

It causes them more work and can affect their commission. So some TA's dont even offer price adjustments.

See this is where I am unsure as of yet. The online place I found has our cabin for the same price as the Carnival website....but they pay our tips which saves us a $120 based on a 6 day cruise. Yet I like the idea of being able to contact the PVP directly with any questions so I am not sure if the savings or the hassle of trying to get price reductions if they come along is worth the initial savings. I think I am going to call the PVP and see whether they will match what the agency is offering....do they ever do that?

See this is where I am unsure as of yet. The online place I found has our cabin for the same price as the Carnival website....but they pay our tips which saves us a $120 based on a 6 day cruise. Yet I like the idea of being able to contact the PVP directly with any questions so I am not sure if the savings or the hassle of trying to get price reductions if they come along is worth the initial savings. I think I am going to call the PVP and see whether they will match what the agency is offering....do they ever do that?

If you already have a agency, they will not talk to you, so do not even mention it. They will not compete with each other. My advice to you, go with a PVP, you can get the price declines up until the day you cruise. And you can talk to them all the time. This is the first time I have chosen to work with a PVP and I will do on all my other cruises.

I booked our cruise directly with Carnival online. Am I eligible for any reductions/refund if the price goes down, and if so, how do I do that?

Or, since I booked it directly on my own, am I not eligible for something like that?

Keep watching prices If it goe down, call CCL and let them know that you have seen the price drop. Ask for a shipboard credit or an upgrade.

They will give it to you. This is why I now book directly with CCL. Of 16 cruises, TA was used on the first three. Now,I always book direct.

don't know about groups, but w/ CCL and a TA alike, you shld pay the deposit on booking (a TA may allow a courtesy hold), and then nothing more until final pymt is due.

now, if you want to make a pymt in btwn you always can, but you shldn't be required to do so.

Online TA's are not allowed to ADVERTISE lower prices than CCL has on their website. If you call or email an online TA MOST will give you a better price by rebating some of their commission.

You have to weigh one against the other and decide if you want to have a cheaper price or do you want to be able to contact the PVP anytime you want.

Bill

Archived