Motion sickness medication

cruise junky joan

Has anyone ever heard of a medication that sounds like "globalmine or globamine"? This is used by the military for their "vomit rocket" to control the effects of motion sickness but i can't find anything about it on the web nor did my local pharmacist recognize the name. We are planning a whale watching and flightseeing trip for our Alaska vacation but since I suffer so badly from motion sickness, even with 2 Bonine in my system way before departure, I may not be able to go. Any help or referals offered would be appreciated. Joan

Did you know you could go to the medical center and get a shot for your motion sickness? I have a friend who was terribly sick on our cruise and I finally talked her and her husband into going in for the shot. They felt so much better for the entire cruise. You can also try the Transderm Patch, or the Scolpace Tabs. Did you know that Dramamine is just an anithistamine? Some doctors recommend taking Benedryl for motion sickness.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.

I haven't heard of the one you listed, but I swear by meclazine. It is now over the counter. and quite inexpensive if you ask the pharmacist for a bottle of 50. It's on the shelf with 6 or 8 in a pkg for basically the same price. It used to be prescription only for inner ear problems. I have problems even reading a map in the car, so, I use it anytime we go on any trips whether water is involved or not. One every 12 hours and doesn't make me sleepy. Have fun!!

Meclazine is same as BONINE..I have been on 5 cruises and used it every time. I start 2 days before we leave and continue one pill every night before we go to dinner. Works like a charm and even continue to have a few cocktails and never a problem. Have also used Ginger Capsules for the kids and that works great also.

Not sure if I would get seasick or not..but not willing to chance it. Bonine for me.

Bonine works fine on the ships and large planes but on small boats and puddle jumpers it doesn't do any good at all. I haven't tried the "patch" yet so I don't know how that might work but I may give it a trial run. I know that scopalomine also comes in a pill form that will allow you to take more than one at a time but i am worried about the possible side effects.

My dh and I are just off the Golden Princess cruise to Alaska. I started taking Bonine two nights before we embarked and felt ok the first day, but by the next day I was miserable.

At the tolietries area in one of the store shops they had ginger capsules for sale right by the cash register. I bought some, took them immediately and felt fine very quickly. I used up the box on the cruise and bought another box on the second to the last day since I ran out. I would highly recommend them. No side effects, drowziness, etc

I know that scopalomine also comes in a pill form that will allow you to take more than one at a time but i am worried about the possible side effects.

Drop the bottle and step away from the pills!!! Don't take more that one at a time; one will be more than enough. At least try taking just one, before upping the dose to two. The side effects tend to be minimal but can build up if you take the regular dosage of 1 every eight hours for a full week and can get worse if taking two. The benefit of the pills is you can skip a dose while on shore. The pill starts to work within an hour so you can schedule around departure times. I often just take a ½ pill for moderate seas. This will cut down on the side effects.

Plan ahead, you will need a prescription and a lot of drug stores won’t already have Scopace in stock. Chances are you doctor may not have heard of the pill either so you may want to go to Scopace’s website and print off some of the information to take with you to the dr’s. (www.scopace.com) The upper right had corner has a link to information for drs.

* This is not medical advice. I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Has anyone ever heard of a medication that sounds like "globalmine or globamine"? This is used by the military for their "vomit rocket" to control the effects of motion sickness but i can't find anything about it on the web nor did my local pharmacist recognize the name. We are planning a whale watching and flightseeing trip for our Alaska vacation but since I suffer so badly from motion sickness, even with 2 Bonine in my system way before departure, I may not be able to go. Any help or referals offered would be appreciated. Joan

Sorry if this has been answered as I didn't have time to read the posts. It's scopalamine (sometimes in patch form). We use a compounding pharmacy's version that they put in a gel form in a syringe (without needle) that we just rub on our inner wrist once a day. Some people have ill effects but we have had no problems and would advise using it.

Love your log in name! I wouldn't be using the scopalomine(sic?) for anything other than the boat tours and the flight seeing. The bonine works fine for me while on the cruise ship and most of the time then I don't need it. Although that being said, should I come out of our cabin and see the airsickness bags stacked up next to the elevator I make a beeline back to the cabin for a second dose.

I haven't heard of the one you listed, but I swear by meclazine. It is now over the counter. and quite inexpensive if you ask the pharmacist for a bottle of 50. It's on the shelf with 6 or 8 in a pkg for basically the same price. It used to be prescription only for inner ear problems. I have problems even reading a map in the car, so, I use it anytime we go on any trips whether water is involved or not. One every 12 hours and doesn't make me sleepy. Have fun!!

I too swear by meclazine! It works great for me, and doesn't make me sleepy either. I take it the morning before embarkation, and then one at night before bed and I have never been sick, and I get motion sickness pretty easily! Someone on here said it is the same as Bonine, but Bonine knocks me right out, and meclazine doesn't, so I am guessing that there is another ingredient in Bonine that makes me sleepy.....

Jeepgirl

Love your log in name! I wouldn't be using the scopalomine(sic?) for anything other than the boat tours and the flight seeing. The bonine works fine for me while on the cruise ship and most of the time then I don't need it. Although that being said, should I come out of our cabin and see the airsickness bags stacked up next to the elevator I make a beeline back to the cabin for a second dose.

Thanks. The name explains why I use Scopace so much. Your mention of airsick bags rings true; sure sign of a bad night. The first thing we do when boarding a plane is making sure there is a bag in the seat pocket in front of me.

Archived