Taxis-- Know the Fare Before You Go

Arubalisa

http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html Please print this list and take with you or know the price you will be expected to pay when hiring a taxi in Aruba. Most all of the drivers are knowledgable and courteous. HOWEVER, like with everything and everyone else, there are a few "bad apples". Today I spoke with yet one more person who was overcharged by an Aruba taxi driver who "made up" the fare. All fares are set by the Aruba Government and are a set fee. Agree to the fare before you step into the taxi and make sure it is in line with the fares listed at the link above.

There is a surcharge on Sundays and holidays and after midnight detailed at http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html

The above website is no longer active. Fares did increase as of September 1, 2009. New fare rates are listed at

http://www.arubabound.com/transp/taxi_fares.htm

Aruba Taxi Condition on Taxi Tariffs

Monday through Saturday the fare is $11 each way from the cruise terminal in Oranjestad to the high rise resorts on Palm Beach. Fares are per ride, not per person. Taxis by law may take a maximum of 5 persons and there is an addtional charge of $3 each way on Sundays.

Taxi fare to Eagle Beach (Amsterdam Manor) is $10 each way.

• 2 years later...

Another reminder for cruise ship passengers. :)

Taxi fares are for a maximum of 5 people.

Fares are per ride, not per person.

There is an additional charge of $3 each way on Sundays and holidays.

Wet swimsuits are not permitted.

From the cruise terminal, one way, the fare is as follows:

Eagle beach $10

Palm beach $11

Boca Catalina $18 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

Arashi beach $20 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

Baby beach $38 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

Another reminder for cruise ship passengers. :)

Taxi fares are for a maximum of 5 people.

Fares are per ride, not per person.

There is an additional charge of $3 each way on Sundays and holidays.

Wet swimsuits are not permitted.

From the cruise terminal, one way, the fare is as follows:

Eagle beach $10

Palm beach $11

Boca Catalina $18 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

Arashi beach $20 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

Baby beach $38 (make arrangements for return pick up or take the bus)

We want to go to Baby beach, Charlies Bar and Hollywood smokehouse. THinking of getting a cab to the beach and bus back to ttown. Can we walk from the beach to Charlie's? It looks like there's a bus stop right near Charlie's to get back to town. Thanks!

We want to go to Baby beach, Charlies Bar and Hollywood smokehouse. THinking of getting a cab to the beach and bus back to ttown. Can we walk from the beach to Charlie's? It looks like there's a bus stop right near Charlie's to get back to town. Thanks!
The walk from Baby beach to Charlie's is well over 4 miles.

• 1 year later...
The above website is no longer active. Fares did increase as of September 1, 2009. New fare rates are listed at

Taxis by law may take a maximum of 5 persons and there is an additional charge of $3 each way on Sundays & holidays. Fares are one way, per ride, not per person.

Monday through Saturday the fare is $11 each way from the cruise terminal in Oranjestad to the high rise resorts on Palm Beach.

$10 each way from the cruise terminal in Oranjestad to Eagle Beach (Amsterdam Manor) or MVC Eagle Beach.

Take the bus! it's only $1.30 per person and they are easy to catch.
Bus fare is now $2.60 round trip. Have exact change handy or you will get your change in Aruban Florins. Edited by Arubalisa

So, ArubaLisa, the way I interpret the chart 4 of us could take a taxi from downtown, (Renaissance) to the Marriott for $11 on a Monday. Is that an accurate interpretation? We will have luggage.

Thanks

Mike

So, ArubaLisa, the way I interpret the chart 4 of us could take a taxi from downtown, (Renaissance) to the Marriott for $11 on a Monday. Is that an accurate interpretation? We will have luggage.

Thanks

Mike

Yes! Exactly!

Public buses are perfectly safe and the bus terminal in Oranjestad is only a block away.

I would suggest a taxi if you need to converse your time. Also the public bus does not go everywhere. It will get you to both Palm and Eagle Beaches. It will get you to Baby beach as well, but that is a longer ride and I believe it involves a change of buses in San Nicolas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22174862&postcount=26

Monday through Saturday the fare is $11 each way from the cruise terminal in Oranjestad to the high rise resorts on Palm Beach. Fares are per ride, not per person. Taxis by law may take a maximum of 5 persons and there is an addtional charge of $3 each way on Sundays.

Taxi fare to Eagle Beach (Amsterdam Manor) is $10 each way.

• 1 month later...

the last time I was in Aruba (2009) taxi's were available to pick you up virtually as you stepped off the ship. I found out later that if you walked through the Visitor's Center out to the main street the fares were lower. I don't remember that the original fares were terribly high, though.

We have a Jolly Pirates excursion at 9:00 AM. They want us there at 8:30 AM. Our ship docks at 8:00 AM, according to our itinerary. Jolly Pirates asked us to switch to this time frame as they cancelled the afternoon snorkel tour we had originally booked. I am thinking we will be in a huge rush to get there in time and will need to take the first taxis available. What should we expect to pay for the taxi's closest to the ship to go to Palm Beach where we board the Jolly Pirates boat?

We have a Jolly Pirates excursion at 9:00 AM. They want us there at 8:30 AM. Our ship docks at 8:00 AM, according to our itinerary. Jolly Pirates asked us to switch to this time frame as they cancelled the afternoon snorkel tour we had originally booked. I am thinking we will be in a huge rush to get there in time and will need to take the first taxis available.

Sorry, but just the idea of attempting this makes me break out in a nervous sweat! :eek:

Taxi fares are regulated by the law. Know the fare before you go and if a driver tells you that the fare is more than it is supposed to be, ask to see their fare sheet. They are required by law to show you the fare sheet. Their story will most likely change. Been there, done that. :(

Worst comes to worst, just move on to the next taxi in line. If you are one of the first ones off the ship you should be fine. The biggest advantage of walking outside the terminal to get the taxi is that there will be less traffic for the taxi to get through to take you to your destination. ;) The fare though like I said, should be the same.

Never step foot into a taxi in Aruba without first verifying the fare. :)

Sorry, but just the idea of attempting this makes me break out in a nervous sweat! :eek:

Well, since they are the ones who asked us to switch our time knowing that we are on a cruise they had better wait for us! There are 11 of us on our Roll Call who switched, so it should have an impact. I have an e-mail into them verifying this. It's not like trying to catch a plane after a cruise. If I remember right we had a tight time frame the last time I went with them, also and we made it with no problem.

Thank you, Lisa. You made a good point about the traffic. Are there usually plenty of taxis lined up outside the terminal? I remember the driver telling us that they had to pay an extra fee to pick up inside the terminal, hence the higher price. Was he handing us a line of bull?:rolleyes:

Well, since they are the ones who asked us to switch our time knowing that we are on a cruise they had better wait for us! There are 11 of us on our Roll Call who switched, so it should have an impact. I have an e-mail into them verifying this. It's not like trying to catch a plane after a cruise. If I remember right we had a tight time frame the last time I went with them, also and we made it with no problem.

I didn't realize there were so many of you and that you had cleared it with the company. I shouldn't have commented, sorry. :o

Thank you, Lisa. You made a good point about the traffic. Are there usually plenty of taxis lined up outside the terminal? I remember the driver telling us that they had to pay an extra fee to pick up inside the terminal, hence the higher price. Was he handing us a line of bull?:rolleyes:

Okay I asked and found out that there is an extra fee of $3 for a taxi to pickup inside the gates of the terminal.