what do you pay for

Fyly

hello,

I am still pondering between going on a cruise or doing a AI resort.

I'd like to get some clarification on a few cruising points.

- What do you pay for on your last day?

(tips, per day, per passenger - drinks other than coffee/ice tea - purchases - spa - is there anything else?)

- what is free?

- When you go to an alternative restaurant you pay a cover charge, and then? do you pay per item on the menu?

- Is it worth it to splurge on a suite versus a regular veranda room?

- is it worth it to travel on a holiday cruise if you can go a week earlier and save a bunch?

Thanks,

Fyly

I can answer some of your questions. You pay for gratuitues, spa treatments, alcoholic beverages, some drinks like soda, any photography that you choose to buy on the ship.

What is free? Room service is free. Although it is customary to tip the person who brings you room service. Food is free except for the specialty restuarants.

Some holiday cruises are cheap. One cruise around Thanksgiving is real cheap on Carnival because everyone will be out of town. A reg stateroom is $475-$569.

- What do you pay for on your last day?

(tips, per day, per passenger - drinks other than coffee/ice tea - purchases spa - is there anything else?)

On the last day it is customary to give EXTRA tips to the maitre'd, room steward, wait staff. Of course tipping is up to you above the auto-tip amount.

Other things you pay for: auto-tips, soft drinks, alcoholic drinks, specialty non-alcoholic drinks (virgin dacquris), souviniers, tips for room service, service charge for the supper club (but not usually per item, just a flat service fee), spa treatments & tip

- what is free?

Food, entertainment, water (not bottled), juice, tea, normal coffee (not starbucks-like coffee drinks).

- When you go to an alternative restaurant you pay a cover charge, and then? do you pay per item on the menu?

Generally, you pay just a per person service charge. The items are not charged per item. Tip your wait staff in the specialty restaurants.

- Is it worth it to splurge on a suite versus a regular veranda room?

That's a very personal decision. MY fiancee is a much more experienced cruiser than myself. He doesn't like any cruise OTHER than a suite. I love the suites. To US the suite makes a huge difference in our experience and we only cruise in a suite. If we can't afford a suite, we don't cruise. But I know plenty of people who will cruise in anything from an inside room up.

Some of it depends on the cruiseline. Cokes are free on Disney, but you buy a soda card on most cruises (or you can drink the free stuff like lemonaide, which btw is very good on RCI). Tea is available on almost any cruiseline for free, its just soda, bottled water or bar drinks you pay for. Juice is free at breakfast but there may be a charge later in the day from room service.

Room service is free, but you are expected to tip a couple of dollars.

I love the lobster night, even if I have to dress up some.

You can not pay for anything except tips if you want....we dont pay extra for much, except we spend in the ports and buy too much JUNKS.

Id say it depends on you. You can spend nothing (except tips) and stay in the cheapest cabin or splurge.

I've been on AI vacations, as well as cruises. I believe I get more 'bang for the buck' on cruises. This, of course, depends upon which cruiseline you select.

Carnival, for instance:

You can either pay your automatic tips of $10 per passenger per day before your cruise and get them out of the way....or they will be the first entry on your Sail & Sign account.

During the cruise, if you think you need to tip someone for doing something special for you, it's your call. I always tip extra on the last evening to my cabin steward - and sometimes to the dining room waiters, but rarely to the Maitre d'.

All alcoholic beverages will have a built-in tip, which is charged to your S&S account, so no need to tip the servers.

***Edited to add: This is something I posted earlier that may give you an idea of the included food/beverages:

Beverages included in the cost of your cruise:

Lido buffet area - Iced tea, hot water & tea bags, coffee, decaf, hot chocolate, juice varieties, water, lemonade, fruitpunch. On buffet, milk, skim milk, chocolate milk.

Dining room - Iced tea, hot tea, coffee, water, decaf, milk, chocolate milk, juices, espresso and cappuccino.

Room service - MOST of the beverages that are available on Lido, but not lemonade or fruitpunch.

Food included in the cost of your cruise:

All meals in the dining room, Lido buffet, as well as the pizzeria, deli, salad bars, ice cream and frozen yogurt machines, room service.

Pizzeria and room service available 24 hrs. a day.

Sometimes they have a MakeYourOwn Sundae bar on Lido Deck.

'Tea Time' on sea day afternoons has hot tea, coffee, tea sandwiches, scones, petite fours, etc.

The Captain's Cocktail party has hors d'oeuvres, as well as cocktails.

No extra charge for any of the above.

Thanks to all of you.

I am eyeing the dec 16 caribbean cruise on NCL Jewel (5 nights). the price for a mini suite is very attractive.

My other choice would be a 4 nights on Celebrity Century around the same time, but i am not crazy about the itinerary.

I need to present all the facts to DH now.

thanks again!

Fyly

Archived