Anytime Dinning

Ra58

You can just show up, however, depending on the time it may be busy and like any restaurant, they will take your name and give you a pager. You can also make reservations. I just got off the CB. Upon getting on the ship I called the concierge and made reservations for four at 8 PM. When we arrived at the DR there were two lines, one for reservations and one for those without. We went in and were seated immediately. The next day I made reservations for 8 PM for every night and requested the same table, which we got. Nevered waited any night.

The first night tends to be hectic as many passangers haven't decided when and/or where they want to eat.

Hope this was helpful.

just off the grand, and i hated anytime dining. we were not allowed to make reservations later for a table between 5:45 and 8:15. sometimes we showed up at 7-7:30 and had a short wait, sometimes long. after 8 days of complaining we were able to get a standing reservation for 7:30 but not at the same table. never again.

I have noticed that Princess has been referring "Anytime Dining" as "Personal Choice Dining". My T/A said it is because "Anytime" has been misconstrued so that if hordes of pax wanted to eat at 6:10 PM, many would be upset because the dining room could not accomodate everyone at the same time, so people would have to wait, hence the complaints about the word "anytime".

As for "Personal Choice" dining, I like the flexibility, but I have to sacrafice having regular tablemates whom I get to know throughout the cruise for the choice in eating at a time most convenient for me.

Since the advent of Anytime Dining, "Personal Choice" has referred to the ability to choose between Traditional, Anytime, Specialty or buffet dining. Personally, I think "anytime" is a bit of a misnomer because it implies that you can walk up at any time and be seated, which isn't always the case. Many people are confused or have expectations that aren't met.

YOu you have confirmed early traditional, can you opt to go to Personal Choice dining on a particular night if you get back late after being in port? Or does your card identify you as a Traditional diner and excludes you from accessing the Personal Choice dining room.

YOu you have confirmed early traditional, can you opt to go to Personal Choice dining on a particular night if you get back late after being in port? Or does your card identify you as a Traditional diner and excludes you from accessing the Personal Choice dining room.

After the first night, nobody checks your cruise card in the anytime dining rooms.

I have read elsewhere on CC that if you give up your traditional seating you will be transferred to "anytime". Traditional times are usually at a premium on most cruises, so there are wait-listed passengers waiting for seats to open up.

We used anytime for a large group of 9 and were able to make a standard reservation for the same time and table every night. Once we found a waiter that we really liked, I called and booked the table for 7:30 each night. They were happy to get our group settled - our waiter told us to let the dining room know if we were going to do something different. Assigned time and table also let us make friends with the head waiter and put in special orders.

The next cruise there were just 2 of us so we joined with different people - and CC groups - each night. We never had to wait longer then 10 minutes before we were seated. If you are 2 or 4 people, you may have to wait longer for a table. Try to make a standard reservation when you find a waiter that you like.

It took 15 - 25 minutes to make a reservation each day, so you want to either get a set time or eat outside of the "prime" times. We did enjoy meeting different people at dinner - although you give up the attention you get when you are with the same waiters for 7-10 days.

This was the first time we chose anytime dining and it will be the last.

I had to wait a few nights in long line ups. Reservation line kept putting me on hold and then hanging up on me. (16 times).

You could walk to restaurants and make reservations earlier in day which we did for the Alternative restaurants.

For traditional, you only explain who you are and where you live, once to your tablemates. Your waiter gets to know your preferences and your special days get celebrated with people you've come to know abit.

Traditional and Alternative Dining from now on. :)

Ok...I'm confused. I have been reading posts that say reservations are accepted after 6:00 and I have read other posts that say no you can't make reservations for the busier times such as 6:00 to 8:30.

Also we will be going on the CB, eastern route. I want to for sure make reservations for formal nights, even if we have to eat later. Is formal night Tues and Friday?

Also, In regards to the shows..What is a good time to eat to still have time to see the shows?

Unlike some of the other posters, I love personal choice dining. It was what drew me to Princess in the first place. The idea of being able to show up whenever I like, to me, is preferable to having to show up at a given time. Also, it gives us the option of sitting at a table for two when we don't feel like eating with a group, or sharing a larger table when we are in the mood to socialize. To each their own I guess :)

I will admit that yes, there are times when we have had to wait for a table. This does not bother us, however. They give you a pager, so you can go have a drink, sit, relax, whatever, until your table is ready. I have also run into the situation where they do not take reservations between certain times, but that doesn't mean you can't be seated. You simply have to wait in line if there is one. The longest I've waited on any cruise, however, was 20 minutes.

I've tried traditional dining, and quite honestly, its not for me. Someone can gladly have my spot :)

Unlike some of the other posters, I love personal choice dining. It was what drew me to Princess in the first place. The idea of being able to show up whenever I like, to me, is preferable to having to show up at a given time. Also, it gives us the option of sitting at a table for two when we don't feel like eating with a group, or sharing a larger table when we are in the mood to socialize. To each their own I guess :)

I will admit that yes, there are times when we have had to wait for a table. This does not bother us, however. They give you a pager, so you can go have a drink, sit, relax, whatever, until your table is ready. I have also run into the situation where they do not take reservations between certain times, but that doesn't mean you can't be seated. You simply have to wait in line if there is one. The longest I've waited on any cruise, however, was 20 minutes.

I've tried traditional dining, and quite honestly, its not for me. Someone can gladly have my spot :)

I'm with you on this one!

Ok...I'm confused. I have been reading posts that say reservations are accepted after 6:00 and I have read other posts that say no you can't make reservations for the busier times such as 6:00 to 8:30.

Also we will be going on the CB, eastern route. I want to for sure make reservations for formal nights, even if we have to eat later. Is formal night Tues and Friday?

Also, In regards to the shows..What is a good time to eat to still have time to see the shows?

I was on the Star a few days ago. Some made reservations for anytime dining and some did not. It didn't matter what time on the Star. It must vary by ship.

I could not get through to dining reservations on the phone. Not a good experience for me trying to make a reservation.

Others found it was easy to get through and had a set dining time each night.

The pager worked okay and the wait wasn't more 15-20 mins.

In traditional dining there is no wait.

We choose late dining and still get to the shows, but I believe early dining would be better if you don't want to miss out on any of the entertainment.

Archived