Princess Cruiser Considering Celebrity

TeacherSus

Thanks again, to everyone, for their replies. WE'VE BOOKED! We'll be sailing on the Century (Panorama deck) in February and are VERY excited...This is a totally unexpected vacation, but we just couldn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to trying Celebrity!

Now we just have to figure out shore excursions! :)

What ports? If you haven't already, check out the Roll Call.

Question: Princess charges for ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, breakfast in your room and deck chairs??? We are going on Celebrity but thinking of Princess in the future because of very good itineraries through the Panama Canal. Deck Chairs? Are you serious?

Like many cruiselines, Princess tries to keep its prices lower by charging more for things that not all cruisers will want to get. All of the above are free, UNLESS:

1) Ice cream is free in the dining room for lunch and dinner, and in the buffet between 3:30-4:30. If you go to the "sundae bar", to get a sundae, during other hours, there is a fee.

2) Pizza is available at the pizza stand during it's hours (differs from ship to ship, on most large ships I think it's open all day until late in the evening). If you choose to order a whole pizza from room service (instead of getting it yourself), Princess charges $3.

3) The "hot dog" charge is for those ships sailing from New York. If you want a special sailaway treat, you pay $7 and you get a "Nathan's" hot dog (famous in New York), and a beer. I think they actually do bring them from Nathan's.

4) Room service breakfast (and lunch and dinner) is free; just tip the waiter. If you want an "ultimate balcony" breakfast or dinner, you end up being served on white linen by a waiter (who stays during the dinner, I believe), and you get special things - I think the breakfast includes champagne, and the dinner includes steak/lobster. These meals have a charge.

5) Deck chairs are free everywhere on the ship. To get into the Sanctuary on the newest ships (Crown, Emerald, Ruby, and the Caribbean after it's dry dock), you pay $10 for 1/2 day. The Sanctuary is a secluded adults-only place with it's own servers, special deck chairs, and a special menu. It was originally free on the Crown for the first two sailings, but adults hogged the chairs and there were lots of complaints. Therefore, they started charging a minimal fee (I wish it were a little less), and now it's as quiet as it was meant to be.

6) You didn't include sushi in your list (Brad originally did). Sushi from "vines" (I believe) on the Crown/Emerald does have a charge, as do SOME of the items at the International Cafe right near Vines.

Some people seem to have problems with Princess. Don't believe everything you hear - find out for yourself on the Princess boards.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Princess, and find I can have a wonderful experience without paying for "extras" - except for soda/pop and "adult" beverages, of course!:D

I have travelled on both lines, always in the inside lowest price cabin.

If the ship size, itinerary, etc are identical, I would choose Celebrity, the cabins are more comfortable (better seating), the Cova cafe is far more inviting - and far better selection of "snacks" -which are free by the way than on Princess pastry cafe.- which IMHO is a miserable hole.

Theatre, this on Princess Sapphire was impossible, far too small for the number of passengers who tried to see the show. You had to get there at least 30-45 mins EARLY in order to get a seat - at my dinner table no one ever got to the show , our waiter service was so slow, by the time we left the dining room, the theatre was full.

Do not like the Spa on either line, too pushy, both spend 10 mins pushing their products even with a firm "no thank you" they still go on and on and on.

After 6 cruises with Celebrity, we were making a lot of comparisons on our first Princess cruise this past February.

The bathrooms on Celebrity were bigger with shower stalls that were more rectangular in shape and height adjustable shower heads. Celebrity also had dispensers on the walls in the shower with shampoo and conditioner. Princess had all the bath amenities in cardboard containers on the vanity.

Celebrity had robes in the room. We had to ask for them on Princess.

There was bottled water to purchase in the room and an ice bucket in the small fridge but no pitcher of ice water changed twice daily like on Celebrity.

We had 3 sets of towels in the bathroom on Celebrity but only 2 sets on Princess.

The trash baskets had plastic liners on X but not on Princess which made you hesitate to throw anything messy in the container.

But these were comparisons we made among ourselves since our last cruise had been on Celebrity’s Summit to Hawaii. Our cabin steward Anthony was very efficient and took care of any special requests. There were no announcements on Coral Princess as well as X. If you wanted to know what was going on, you looked in the daily paper, the Princess Patter.

The freshwater pools on Princess were great with plenty of deck chairs. Only one day did we have to go searching for a place to stretch out in the shade.

Celebrity also had unlimited pool towels out on deck. On Princess the pool towels placed in your room doubled as your beach towels.

Beach towels were separate on X and were bigger and thicker.

I thought the food on Celebrity was more upscale. I was surprised to see plain white rice served with some of our entrees. This was not something you would ever see on Celebrity. I wonder if this is a new development since Carnival bought them? It seemed to cheapen the meal.

We liked that the alternative meal selections on Princess were printed on the menu and you did have your option of white rice, French fries or baked potato with your entree.

On Celebrity you have to depend upon your waiter to mention them to you and he usually only does it once at the beginning of the cruise. The salmon in butter sauce was excellent and we all had more than one shrimp cocktail.

I LOVED the dessert soufflés. Even if I was stuffed, I managed to choke down a few tastes of those. I just had to try the Princess Love Boat Dream after reading about it and it was almost too pretty to eat.

The dining room service is more formal on X. If my DH chose not to order an appetizer or soup, they brought his salad out while we were eating the other items. On X, he would be served the same course with everyone else.

The bus boy acted as your wine steward, no sommelier making suggestions. The wine list on X is much more extensive.

Some other differences we noticed was that hot cocoa was free on Celebrity whereas you pay for it as a specialty drink on Princess. Of course it is served in a tall glass with whipped cream and sprinkles on top.

You also had to pay for ice cream when you finally found the counter by the Spa pool. I had read somewhere that it was free at certain times in the buffet but we never found it.

DH liked the dispensers for the hot beverages which came out very hot. This made for a nice cup of tea. The cups were also bigger than on Celebrity which offers a barely 4 ounce cup. Princess had a decent sized cup for coffee or tea.

Celebrity does have nice trays with cloth placemats in the buffet and waiters to carry it for you instead of just large platters that you have to juggle with your drink.

They also have a sandwich station all during lunch but Princess only had it from 3-4 PM in the buffet. I didn’t see it as a food option in the Princess Patter. Maybe it was only for those coming back from a late shore excursion.

The pizza on the Coral Princess was very good with an excellent crust. I do have to hand it to Princess for the continuous buffet even if I don’t see the need for it to be 24 hours. Celebrity would shut down breakfast an hour before lunch where on Princess they would close one side of the buffet to get ready for lunch and continue serving breakfast on the alternate side until lunch was up and running. We never tried the buffet for dinner as we really liked the dining room experience for that meal.

Celebrity has better room service menus. You can get a full breakfast from 6 AM-10AM and only continental breakfast starting at 7:30 from Princess. Their other snack and meal choices are better also. You can order room service pizza hot from the oven.

Princess really shines on the shore excursion experience. The choices were many and varied, with some unusual items. You could be as active or sedentary as you liked. Celebrity’s excursions are rather humdrum with more of an emphasis on shopping.

Coming back from shore excursions on Celebrity though, there would a tent set up on the dock for X passengers where you could get a drink of cold water and/or fruit punch and a cold cloth for your fevered brow when you are coming back from excursions. There was nothing like that on Princess.

The production shows were terrific on Coral Princess and except for the "banjo guy" most of the entertainment was very good. But the theater only had a capacity of 600 on a ship with 1980 passengers. The sightlines were excellent but this was not set up as a "show lounge" like the Universe Lounge. If you were not sitting on the aisle, you could forget about that after-dinner drink as the theater was stadium seating and the poor drink servers would have to crawl over several people to serve you.

Because we had early seating and the age demographic of this cruise was leaning into the high 80's we found ourselves racing to the theater if we wanted to get 4 seats together. This was a 1/2 hour before the show time.

Celebrity's theaters will hold 1/2 the capacity of the ship and has wide aisles and small drink tables w/loveseat-type seating.

We did like the Princess dress code of Smart Casual most nights. Since Celebrity has an “informal” night, it requires the men to bring a sports jacket.

DH likes to rent the tux for formal nights as is is one less thing to have to put in the suitcase.

We had done the automatic tips on our account so there was nothing to be done for that except to say good bye to our waiter and busboy.

On Celebrity they gave you a little card to hand to your waiter and busboy indicating that you had added the tips to your account. Here I guess they had to wait to find out if we had stiffed them or not.

All in all it was a very nice cruise. Princess did a nice job with the shore excursions and the rooms. The ship was lovely and comfortable, except for the theater which was too small.

We have just booked the Grand Princess for Feb, '08 with our 2 children and their spouses. Celebrity does not offer a 7 day Western Caribbean at that time of year. So we were satisfied enough to go again.

Just read a thread that deserts were an extra charge in the main dining room on the Connie. So there is a plus for Princess.

My thread and I don't agree Brad. I like Princess but I LOVE Celebrity. Princess is one of the best lines, but Celebetrity is the BEST line. I will gladly pay $5.99 for tirmasui and cruise on celebrity or better yet, I have a great recipe, I will just make it at home.

John, I don't know what Celebrity ship you sailed in Alaska, but when we sailed on the Mercury last fall, the naturalist (Brent Nixon) was on the PA the entire time we were at the Hubbard Glacier, on our approach to Juneau where we were likely to encounter whales (and did, in fact, have them breaching right in front of the ship), and at other times when there was interesting wildlife around. I thought Celebrity did an excellent job with announcing that which was interesting (wildlife sightings) and not announcing that which one could read about in the dailies (bingo, for example).

I was on the Summit Aug 24-31. I understand there was commentary at Hubbard Glacier (the only place the entire cruise) but it could not be heard from the helipad, where I was. But other than that day, nothing in the way of announcements or commentary except the last day and that announcement was in error (made about 11am-noon that we would be passing orcas at 6pm, but we were early and passed them at 5pm. No follow-up announcement about being early).

John

momofmeg,

I agree with you, I like Celebrity better as well.

The majority of my 38 cruises have been on RCI, Celebrity and Princess, but I like Celebrity the best. Im upset with Princess and have held off future curises with them for now. I think they have way crossed the line with the extra charges since the Crown came out.

Question: Princess charges for ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, breakfast in your room and deck chairs??? We are going on Celebrity but thinking of Princess in the future because of very good itineraries through the Panama Canal. Deck Chairs? Are you serious?

Princess has pizza in the lido restuarant and also in the lido between 3 and 4 every afternoon you can have all the ice cream you want-but if you want it 24 hours a day and go to the station by one of the lido pools you pay for it.

You can also have a roomservice lobster dinner for 2 people for $50.

There are things you can order to eat with room service that is not an extra charge-there is just a few "gourmet" type items that has a charge-I forget what was on the pizza that there was a charge for on the menu, my daughter had one- not me-but I think it was artichokes or something like that-not a "Pizza Hut" pizza.

momofmeg,

I agree with you, I like Celebrity better as well.

The majority of my 38 cruises have been on RCI, Celebrity and Princess, but I like Celebrity the best. Im upset with Princess and have held off future curises with them for now. I think they have way crossed the line with the extra charges since the Crown came out.

I like Princess fine-they are just not as nice as Celebrity-I don't care for the RCI food much or the voyager class ships-but I would still cruise the good ole Sovereign again and I hope to try out a radience class ship also.

As far as Princess charges for food, I only ordered coffee from room service and I had the free icecream every day at 3:30 PM in the lido resuarant, I never bought the Hadgen Dauz they sell by one of the pools in the corner area and I certainly never felt "deprived".

Brad,

Where did you get the idea that you pay for dessert in the main dining room? We have been on Celebrity over 20 times and have never paid extra for food in the dining room. Wine. Yes. Food. No

Princess has pizza in the lido restuarant and also in the lido between 3 and 4 every afternoon you can have all the ice cream you want-but if you want it 24 hours a day and go to the station by one of the lido pools you pay for it.

You can also have a roomservice lobster dinner for 2 people for $50.

There are things you can order to eat with room service that is not an extra charge-there is just a few "gourmet" type items that has a charge-I forget what was on the pizza that there was a charge for on the menu, my daughter had one- not me-but I think it was artichokes or something like that-not a "Pizza Hut" pizza.

Thanks!

Unless paying for dessert on X is a brand new policy which I've neer experienced - dessert is free - and they try to get you to eat more than one.;)

I can't speak to a comparison between Princess and X because I've never sailed Princess. I guess I'm just not 'fun';):D. After reading this thread, I would say BOTH lines have much to recommend them. I find it interesting that some posters seem to be surprised that on the X Boards there is a tendency to prefer X. Conversely, I would suspect that on the Princess Boards posters prefer Princess...and on the HAL Boards posters prefer HAL, and on the Carnival Boards posters prefer Carnival, and so on, and so on. Comparisons are difficult and very, very subjective. I have to say, I have a better opinion of Princess after reading this thread - except all the nickel and dime charges - I HATE that.:rolleyes:

I see the OP booked on X. I hope the cruise is wonderful!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

NPB, someone posted that on the Connie there were extra charge deserts in the main dining room for $5.95 on a separate menu

Let it go, Brad. it was explained to meonly the tirmasui that is made with the expenisve liquers is there an extra charge. I wish I had never posted asking that-but Lois SAID on her recent cruise she paid ZILCH for tirmasui.

You know since you badmouth both Celebrity and Princess both for the things they charge extra-may I suggest you stick to land vacations staying at the Motel 6, and eating at Bob Evans, waffle House, and Cracker Barrel. I do believe you would be happier doing that.

NPB, someone posted that on the Connie there were extra charge deserts in the main dining room for $5.95 on a separate menu

Brad, if you go back to that thread where I made that post, you will see tirmasui is still offered at no extra charge, it is only on formal night that one is offered for an extra charge that is made with very expenisve liquers. Now that I know that I wish I bought it.

You know since you badmouth both Celebrity and Princess both for the things they charge extra-may I suggest you stick to land vacations staying at the Motel 6, and eating at Bob Evans, waffle House, and Cracker Barrel. I do believe you would be happier doing that.

I would suggest going in the other direction and traveling on Silver Sea, Seabourn, or Regent which are far closer to being all inclusive. From my experience on mainstream cruise lines, Celebrity and Princess included, splitting hairs about who charges for what doesn't alter the fact that they all nickel and dime their passengers. Paying a little extra here and there will seem a lot less onerous after paying the freight for a nearly all inclusive cruise.

I would suggest going in the other direction and traveling on Silver Sea, Seabourn, or Regent which are far closer to being all inclusive. From my experience on mainstream cruise lines, Celebrity and Princess included, splitting hairs about who charges for what doesn't alter the fact that they all nickel and dime their passengers. Paying a little extra here and there will seem a lot less onerous after paying the freight for a nearly all inclusive cruise.

Do you think he would actually spring for the extra cost if he is that worried about paying extra for things that are fairly inexpensive? I got the impression he wanted to save every penny he could. That is why I said that. he seemed to feel he was being "ripped off".

Its not that I am trying to save every penny. My upcoming Independence cruise in June 08 on RCI with cruise, air pre hotel and excursions will be around $20,000. If the price was $18,000 or $23,000 really does not matter. I do like the major cruise lines. I probably spend around $40k plus a year or so on vacations. I have never said anything negtive about basic pricing for a cruise or hotel. Its worth it for me to get away from my job.

I am against $5.95 for this or $3 for that. Its not like its breaking the bank. It takes away from the enjoyment I get on cruising of having a few things included if you want them. As others have said they cruise for different reasons.

As long as I can voice my opinion, when ever there are extra charge items, I will be against them.

Its not that I am trying to save every penny. My upcoming Independence cruise in June 08 on RCI with cruise, air pre hotel and excursions will be around $20,000. If the price was $18,000 or $23,000 really does not matter. I do like the major cruise lines. I probably spend around $40k plus a year or so on vacations. I have never said anything negtive about basic pricing for a cruise or hotel. Its worth it for me to get away from my job.

I am against $5.95 for this or $3 for that. Its not like its breaking the bank. It takes away from the enjoyment I get on cruising of having a few things included if you want them. As others have said they cruise for different reasons.

As long as I can voice my opinion, when ever there are extra charge items, I will be against them.

Beware Brad! RCI charges extra for the Ben and Jerry's! But all is not lost-there is no extra charge soft serv by the pools on the lido!

Brad, I relate very well to your issue with paying extra for the seemingly endless number of things the cruise lines can think of to increase their yield. Back in my early years of cruising (nearly 40 years ago) one of the things that made cruises so exceptional was their mostly inclusive nature. Many of the things that are extra charges today did not exist as options back in those days so I supposed the cruise lines have a case for charging for the additions.

Brad, I was thinking about what you said about what you paid for your vacation and I guess you must have several kids. My husband and I just

got back from doing a 12 day transatlantic with 3 days precruise in England. Now we used our skymiles to fly there so we did not have a big expesne for plane tickets but we spent around $5000 total. We stayed in decent hotels in England-not 4 star but not shabby and yes food was expensive there,I think one lunch, just a sandwich, coffee and pie cost us $50 for the two of us but we still spent nothing like you say you are spending-heck even if we added another $1200 for plane tickets (the cost I found them for, we could have flown there for $600 a person) we still would have spent nothing like you are talking about.

We took several tours also-the Versailles alone was $179 aperson and another tour we took precruise to Bath and Stonehenge cost us $150 a person. I had what I wanted on ship, I don't drink much and I never gamble, although I do usually buy a couple of expressos a day and we went to the specialty restarant once. Are you sure your cruise would cost you that much?

Maybe you should do what that previous poster said and go for one of those all inclusive lines. You would come out cheaper if you spend that kind of money on a cruise.

Some of the "premium" lines appear a bit stuffy, we have never gone on them.

On the Independence its $16,900 with air for 3 (one son) for mini suite. As you said, those european excursions are a lot, compared to the much cheaper caribbean snorkeling at $40 each. Figuring $3,000 for pre maybe 4 - 5 nights, excursions, souvenirs, tips, on board purchases etc. The 5 night hotel will be alll Starwood points so no cost there.

I do have $250 credit for being stock owner and $200 diamond discount.

Those euros seem to disappear. I can put $400 euros in my pocket, count to 10 and I will only have $50 left.

I keep checking prices, so far no drop. Our past 3 european cruises there was about a $2000 price drop several months before, we still have a ways to go to June.

Ben and Jerrys is strickly off limits. haha

Some of the "premium" lines appear a bit stuffy, we have never gone on them.

On the Independence its $16,900 with air for 3 (one son) for mini suite. As you said, those european excursions are a lot, compared to the much cheaper caribbean snorkeling at $40 each. Figuring $3,000 for pre maybe 4 - 5 nights, excursions, souvenirs, tips, on board purchases etc. The 5 night hotel will be alll Starwood points so no cost there.

I do have $250 credit for being stock owner and $200 diamond discount.

Those euros seem to disappear. I can put $400 euros in my pocket, count to 10 and I will only have $50 left.

I keep checking prices, so far no drop. Our past 3 european cruises there was about a $2000 price drop several months before, we still have a ways to go to June.

Ben and Jerrys is strickly off limits. haha

well Brad, instead of a mini suite, you could pick a balcony room, you could also go off season to the caribbean, as many do. we have plenty of room in a balcony room with our adult daughter-three of us. I think that ran us around a $1000 per person last year on the Caribbean Princess.

Our daughter ofcourse paid her own tips, excursions etc. but for my husband and I, we had probally another $1000 on our Princess account. Now we live in GA and we decided to drive down this time and spent the night at a Hamton Inn ($140 which icluded a little continnetal breakfast) in Melbourne FL going down and parked our car at the dock for $12 a day for the 7 days. After the cruise we drove to St. Augustine and got a beach APT for the night, right on the beach, I think it cost us $150 for the night.

We drive a camry, so even though gas was $3 a gallon, we only spent maybe $100 on gas both ways. We ate at places like Bob Evans driving down and we had breakfast once at good old MacDonalds, though we did have dinner at 2 very nice restuarants in the evenings of the nights we stayed in the hotel and beach apt. so maybe we spent a total of another $1000-not sure, probally less, as our daughter bought her meals and chipped in on the hotel room and beach apt.- we did pay for her cruise fare though.

but still I know we did not spend over $5000.

I would think also, this far ahead you could get a better deal on flying. Did you book your flight through RCI?

Another thing Brad, my husband scuba dves and that runs around $150 in the caribbean- so about the same price as going to Versailles which was a 3 hour bus trip both ways-so hense the cost. This was also true of the Stonehenge tour, we were gone all day from 8 AM to 6 pm on a bus so $150 a personw as not out of line.

Last year on our Princess cruise we also went to Dunn River Falls in Jamaica which was around 4 hours total and we paid $75 a person for the tour. I hated that and prefered my "Riverdance" show at the Dublin pub which cost about the same price(we booked both of these tours through the ship so we got the cost in US dollars) and had no Jamacians trying to get me to buy crap I had no interst in.

From cobh-we took a train to Cork (5.25 euros each) and then a bus to Blarney (5.25 euros each) and went to Blarney Castle for 8 euros each- so even with the exchange rate at $1.40 that cost us less then $30 a person-so cheaper then your snorkling.

Archived