What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

travelscrapper

[quote name='isabellmybell'][font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i]I'm in Ok City, OK and we have Super Wal-Marts just about every 2 miles here. Think there are over 20 in the area I live in alone! I love um! [/i][/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_18_4.gif[/img][/i][/color][/size][/font][/url] [font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i]Just needed to know what part of the store you found those things, I looked all over for them the other day. Thanks[/i][/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Gee, I don't quit remember. New store. New placements for everything. I think it was in the bath section.

[quote name='Shirleya53']Gee, I don't quit remember. New store. New placements for everything. I think it was in the bath section.[/QUOTE] [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_1_14.gif[/img][/url][i][size=4][color=blue]Thanks Shirley, I'll start there.:D [/color][/size][/i]

I love the idea of a toothbrush holder - even just to put on the counter (not suction). It has always bothered me to just lay my toothbrush on the counter after I've used it. Not that it kept me up at night, but what a simple, practical solution!

[quote name='Lady Jag']Can't live without 2 over-the-door shoe organizers - 1 for us, 1 for the kids' cabin. Also:

a travel corkscrew, lanyards for cruise cards, music CDs, my own soft pillowcase, Banana Boat #4 suntan oil, my own conditioner, and most of all, a travel mirror that suction cups to the desk mirror and telescopes out for putting make-up on comfortably.[/QUOTE]
could you describe that telescoping mirror a little better for me?? Sounds like an excellent idea!

[quote name='Shirleya53']Gee, I don't quit remember. New store. New placements for everything. I think it was in the bath section.[/QUOTE]
[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_13.gif[/img][/url][size=4][color=blue]Ok guys, I found them:D They are in the hardware department of walmart, next to the thingys you would put up to hold towels. About $5 for a small basket.[/color][/size]

I'm paranoid about germs, so anytime I go to a hotel or on a cruise I bring antibacterial / sanitizing wipes. The first thing I do upon arrival is wipe down the phone, the light switches, the door handles, the toilet flusher, etc, anything that I may touch that I know doesn't really get disinfected very often. I worked in a nice hotel as a teen, and I know these things didn't get cleaned (at least 25 years ago they didn't!). I've never experienced a "dirty" ship before, but germs are things you just can't see!

I also bring a waterproof fanny pack that I ordered on line from Magellans. Great for when you are snorkeling or just wading in the ocean and don't feel comfortable leaving money or charge cards near your beach chair.

• 6 months later...
One thing I did learn to bring for the next one is an Extension cord with 3 recepticals attached to it, these Cabins only have 1 outlet, and its across the room from the bed, I had to unplug my Battery charger to use my Cpap at night, The Purser will give you a Cord with a 20.00 deposit.

We pack a small ionic breeze (sharper image). It really freshens the air.

I really like the baby powder idea. I'm going to pack it and take it to the beach with us and surprise my family. They'll think I am so smart. I'll give Donna credit after I enjoy the oohs and ahhhs.

I am thinking about bringing a night light for the bathroom for our trip on the Grand next month. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned something about an adapter for the bathroom outlet. Is this necessary? If so, what do I need to get? Could someone please confirm this?

Thanks for all of the great ideas! :)

[size=2]Does anyone know if Clorox / sanitizing wipes come in a package similar to Kleenix that a person would carry in a purse? The round tubs that I have found have more than I think I would need and would take up more space.

Also I have heard alot about 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags and have not been able to find any in the Phoenix area. Does anyone in the South West area have any ideas? Thanks

[/size]

I posted a note a few weeks back about nose bleeds but I just got around to reading this thread. So this is for your son. It also concerns the unique thing I pack for any trip.

I used to have bad nose bleeds frequently and still have minor one occasionally. My ENT had me get his OTC nose bleed kit for home and for my travel kit. Now I never leave home without it.

1. Neo-senephrene (extra strength)
2. Neosporen (or carmax or vasoline)
3 Q-tips

Every day during nose bleed season (forced air heat or any time in the southwest) swab each nostril with the jelly whether you are bleeding or not. This keeps the skin moist and prevents the cracking which is the ultimate cause of most minor nose bleeds.

If bleeding occurs, soak the swab in the neosenephren and swab the nose. This will constrict the blood vessels in the nose and, in most cases stop the bleeding in less than a minute. Usually it stops things with one swab. If this fails, go to the dispensery. I have not been to the emergency room for a nose bleed since buying my first load of supplies.

I figure q-tips have cotten on both ends just for this reason.

Finally, some doctors are fairly ignorant about treating nose bleed. The ultimate emergency procedure is to pack the nose with sterile cotten. Never Ever let anyone put cotten in your sons nose without liberally coating the cotten with some form of jelly. One did that to me and I had to have my nose cauterized with silver nitrate when the doctor pulled the cotten out.

Just finished reading the entire thread of wonderful hints and to help us all with packing here are my final thoughts to date.

Go to Alaska

Don't need a fan - just open the door to the balcony and snuggle in.

Don't need the babey powder (no sandy beaches)

Of course do bring rain gear, comfortable walking shoes, polar fleece, something for the ears if you go over the summit in May (temps at 30+, winds at 30+) etc. We have the LL Bean toiletry organizers and take them everywhere.

[b]After reading this great thread last summer I purchased some suction cup hooks for the back of the bathroom door to hang additional items. I tried everything and could not get them to stick--any advice?[/b]

[b]Also, where exactly do you hang those over-the-door bars with hooks on them?[/b]

[b]Thanks![/b]

[quote name='CheapCharlie'][size=2]Does anyone know if Clorox / sanitizing wipes come in a package similar to Kleenix that a person would carry in a purse? The round tubs that I have found have more than I think I would need and would take up more space.

Also I have heard alot about 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags and have not been able to find any in the Phoenix area. Does anyone in the South West area have any ideas? Thanks

[/size][/QUOTE]
Yes, they have a flat pack sort of like a refillable baby wipe pack. It's about 9" x 4" and 1" thick....I slip it in a ziplock so when I open it , it won't dry out.

We always pack a squeegee and small sponge to keep the balcony doors clean from salt spray as well as the glass below the railing. I know it is up to the room steward to do this, but most of time it gets overlooked. It is always nice to gaze out at the views through clean glass:-)

Archived