What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

travelscrapper

I always take a highlighter. When I read the patter, I highlight the items I am interested in for the next day. Makes it easy to zoom into later.

Ditto the highlighter. Very handy for keeping track of all the activities and takes up no room.

Jackie

I picked up this tip on the boards just before my last cruise. I took a shoe bag and hung it on the bathroom door. There were three of us in a mini-suite and we used the pockets for cosmetics and other small items. It sure helped keep everything handy and left the cab in neat

We always pack two things for each cruise that are a bit out of the ordinary. Our little spray for the bath area of OUST (OH MY couldn't live without that) and our little shell nite lite. I got in big trouble last cruise as I didn't pack it well and the bulb broke in transit. DH was not too happy about that one so from now on I will pack an extra bulb (couldn't find a single bulb in any of the ports). To plug it into the bathroom area though we do need to use an adapter that we got in a 'world travel adapter kit'. But it is so handy in that dark bathroom.

I have the coolest fan, sold at Brookstone. Can't cruise without it! It is very tiny, lightweight, yet really goes like crazy! Fits into the corner of the suitcase and weighs very little. I have bought several as gifts for others who just HAVE to bring a fan with.

The other thing is a very small flash light for those 3am bathroom trips. Have you ever hit the wrong light switch and turned on all of the cabin lights by mistake!!! You only want to make that mistake once!

Janet

Janet,

Any more info you can give me on this fan? Brookstone has many fans and I can't tell which one you are referring to.

Thanks!

My sister just returned from a cruise on the HAL Zuyderdam (apologize for the spelling) and she said the night light she took wouldn't work in the bathroom, that the only plug was a two prong for a razor.

Anyone know what Princess ships require?

Thanks for the great ideas.

There are flat nightlights that don't have a bulb but rather "glow" -- they do throw off enough light when it's in the middle of the night.

I also bring handiwipes for traveling. They're great whether you're on a flight and want to freshen up or on a tour.

Plus, I bring a very small leather card-holder that I got years ago. It has a long strap so I can sling it over my shouder or around my neck and holds my cruisecard and has a zippered pocket for receipts.

Re: Charmin... be very careful what you use or throw away on a ship. I used Charmin in my older house and it wound up plugging up everything out to the street. It cost $$$ to fix it not to mention the cleaning up the overflow of raw sewage backed up from the blockage that went into my basement. My plumber yelled at me for an hour. My guess is that the TP has to be completely biodegradable and I'd hate to think what Charmin would do to a ship's plumbing.

I agree with franzi56....I had got the idea off of this board for the shoe bag, and although I haven't used it on a cruise yet, I have used it when we went to Cancun for 5 days. It was a life saver! A must to have!

And I like the idea of the the little caddy with suction cups for the shower to hold the shampoo and all. I am going to get one of those for sure.

Actually....I like ALL the ideas on here! Thank you guys so much for the suggestions!

Only 33 days! :)

A travel alarm clock that lights up when I touch it. Also small flashlight, and a walkman type radio. If I can't sleep at night (rare, on a ship), I listen to my radio, with headphones, so I don't wake DH up. AND, since we are low carb eaters, we take pecans to snack on. :) Like there isn't enough food on a ship!!!!

We take a bottle opener. We pre order alcohol and have run into ships that you have to call for room steward to come open your bottles for you.

Also I pack bathroom amenities in a plastic shoebox. When the box is unpacked it makes a great basin to use to shave legs.Added bonus if anything leaks it is in a baggy inside a box.

Travelling with 4 teens, on a 12 day cruise, I inevitably have to visit the laundry at some point during the trip. I take my own washing powder tablets, but the one thing I find invaluable are those pop-up laundry baskets. I put one in each cabin which (when they remember to throw their dirty clothes in the right direction) helps keep the mess down. They collapse flat for packing.
Laura

Snorkel and Mask (can't rent - scared)*
Sharpie Marker (for those Princess luggage tags)
LLBean toiletries organizer - has pockets, a hanger, and a small removable mesh shower hanger for shampoo/conditioner - these come in many sizes and colors AND can be monogrammed - great gift idea (I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM, JUST PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!)
Notebook and Pen to journal my trip

*At Princess Cays though I saw them sanitizing the masks and snorkels and I have to say that I was impressed. They used the same type of cleaner that we had to use when I worked at the Dairy Queen, it disinfects yet is safe for food service products, which I guess snorkels qualify as.

I have a medium-sized suitcase that is made out of parachute material.
It folds flatter than a tshirt. I always take it empty in my regular suitcase and then use it to pack dirty clothes ect for the trip home.

Saves space in my regular suitcase for souvenirs!

Don't they have a shelf in the shower to put toiletries on? If not then would someone be kind enough to attach a picture of that bin with the suction cup thing since I'm a bit slow on trying to visualize it. I definitely would need one since I have an awful bad back and would rather not bend down as much as possible.

I bring the over the door shoe holder for makeup/suntan lotion/shoes/hairbrushes, etc. Also my charger for my cell phone so that I'll be able to make a call when we get back to the states. Extra batteries come in handy for the camera too.

I bring a radio alarm clock. I hate waking up in the middle of the night not knowing what time it was. The radio is great when we are in port. We always turn it on when we are docking or leaving port. It is funny to hear some of the music that is played on the local stations. I also bring wrinkle releaser, a highlighter and a over the door shoe holder for the bathroom if we aren't in a mini suite.

Archived