Cartagena walking tour question

GrayKat

I can tell you our experience in this beautiful city, and that of our friends.

We were on the Oosterdam several years ago and stopped in Cartegena. I was a bit worried but wanted a beach day, DH wanted to chill on the ship and our friends took an all day ship tour.

Since I was on my own, I booked a half day beach trip to a small island through HAL. That was horrible...but the official guide was very good taking care of people and at the end of the tour asked if anyone would be interested in a tour of the city. I was the only person (out of 15 on the boat) and went up to get my husband for the tour. This was a wonderful experience. Our guide took care to show us whatever we wanted to see, and when approached by vendors we followed his example of just walking away. The city was one of the most beautiful I have seen, similar to Old San Juan--but much more beautiful. We did stop at an emerald factory--but we did not have to stay and there was no pressure to buy. Although we were not pleased at first, it was interesting to see some of the ships officers buying trinkets there, so compared to the ship stop this was probably the real deal.

The luxury of being able to stop in a tack shop that we passed, and the experience of having Marguez's home proudly pointed out--along with a discussion about why I as a North American had trouble understanding Hundred Years of Solitude was priceless. It was also nice that on every street people waved and greeted our guide. At the end we tipped both him and the cab driver more than the price of the tour ($15pp was asked for the tour)

Our friends took the bus ship tour. Everywhere they went they were surrounded by vendors who even got on the bus, they saw much less than we did and hated the city.

So since this got long you can tell that we loved it. The HUGE disclaimer is to be careful to get a good guide, I picked mine because HAL picked him. I looked at the site and I would double check some of the people listed, compare with Conde Nast etc, to see who has been used and has a good reputation. The site looks good, if this was me, returning to Cartegena I personally would probably go with them. We were with a guide, I did not feel threatened in the city when we were there, the only problem were vendors, and I have been much more uncomfortable in Jamaca.

AGAIN, this is not a port to just bob out and pick up a taxi tour...but I personally would do what you are doing and research a private guide.

I can tell you our experience in this beautiful city, and that of our friends.

We were on the Oosterdam several years ago and stopped in Cartegena. I was a bit worried but wanted a beach day, DH wanted to chill on the ship and our friends took an all day ship tour.

Since I was on my own, I booked a half day beach trip to a small island through HAL. That was horrible...but the official guide was very good taking care of people and at the end of the tour asked if anyone would be interested in a tour of the city. I was the only person (out of 15 on the boat) and went up to get my husband for the tour. This was a wonderful experience. Our guide took care to show us whatever we wanted to see, and when approached by vendors we followed his example of just walking away. The city was one of the most beautiful I have seen, similar to Old San Juan--but much more beautiful. We did stop at an emerald factory--but we did not have to stay and there was no pressure to buy. Although we were not pleased at first, it was interesting to see some of the ships officers buying trinkets there, so compared to the ship stop this was probably the real deal.

The luxury of being able to stop in a tack shop that we passed, and the experience of having Marguez's home proudly pointed out--along with a discussion about why I as a North American had trouble understanding Hundred Years of Solitude was priceless. It was also nice that on every street people waved and greeted our guide. At the end we tipped both him and the cab driver more than the price of the tour ($15pp was asked for the tour)

Our friends took the bus ship tour. Everywhere they went they were surrounded by vendors who even got on the bus, they saw much less than we did and hated the city.

So since this got long you can tell that we loved it. The HUGE disclaimer is to be careful to get a good guide, I picked mine because HAL picked him. I looked at the site and I would double check some of the people listed, compare with Conde Nast etc, to see who has been used and has a good reputation. The site looks good, if this was me, returning to Cartegena I personally would probably go with them. We were with a guide, I did not feel threatened in the city when we were there, the only problem were vendors, and I have been much more uncomfortable in Jamaca.

AGAIN, this is not a port to just bob out and pick up a taxi tour...but I personally would do what you are doing and research a private guide.

What great advice and insight. Thanks for taking the time to write all that you did. This was very thoughtful and well appreciated. Kathy

Archived