Children in Hot tubs

In2why

It is my understanding that the Legend has both an adults only hot tub and at least 1 other that anyone may utilize.

Many resorts have the same restrictions.

As for out of control kids running rampant, perhaps some of the them are taking a cue from the adults they observe.;)

Yes the Legend does have an adults only hot tub and an adults only pool in an Adults Only area. :p We were on the Legend last year and also the Miracle this year (sister ship) and on our sailing we saw a couple kids in the adult pool on the second day and security went over to them and asked them to leave. The kids left...no problem. Never saw kids in that area the rest of the week.

Has anyone actually told the children in the hot tubs that I am getting in now and this is an adult hot tub so you need to get out? If so what happened?

The more I read about the problem and Carnival not doing anything to enforce it I think that is what I will do. Point out the sign and ask them to leave so I can enjoy the hot tub. I figure the worst that could happen is that some drunk parent yells at me and then security will have to get involved.....and the best that could happen is that the kids go somewhere else and I enjoy the hot tub.

I have before and will do it again. Have not had their parents approach me but if they did I would just ask them to talk to security.

Has anyone actually told the children in the hot tubs that I am getting in now and this is an adult hot tub so you need to get out? If so what happened?

The more I read about the problem and Carnival not doing anything to enforce it I think that is what I will do. Point out the sign and ask them to leave so I can enjoy the hot tub. I figure the worst that could happen is that some drunk parent yells at me and then security will have to get involved.....and the best that could happen is that the kids go somewhere else and I enjoy the hot tub.

Yes i have.. after asking staff to remove them and being ignored i asked the children nicely and was told, quote "Shut up and i will get my mother after you".. Coming from like a 7yr old. nice right? So i said Go ahead get your mommy, i would like to have a talk with her... Kid never budged.. neither did the staff

Next time i think i will have to fib and report a butterfinger in the pool;)

For those of you who have been on carnival, is the water in the hot tubs hot or very warm? Just wondering also, if the temp in the adults hot tub is kept any warmer. I know the adults only are for the peace and enjoyment of the adults, but would also pose a health hazard for children. Signs are usually posted in any resort area with a hot tub not to allow children for this reason.

NO! Victory they were like 64 degrees... never understood this

I only saw kid in a hot tub (I didn’t notice if was adults only or not). He was just sitting there so I didn’t mind at all.

You know, i am the same way. I never let my little one's in because they are small, but the last cruise I was on a mother and her 12 year or so daughter was in the hot tub. I joined them and didn't have a problem. The daughter was getting the "cruise" experience and was a doll. There was no problem and no one seemed to mind. Like someone else said, "pick your battles." That is one that I felt was unnecessary.

To each his own....

Well, that's a separate issue, but the reason the hot tubs are kept below a certain temperature is so that Carnival dosen't have problems with folks staying in too long and then collapsing on the way out. A true hot tub should be somewhere around 135 -145 degrees, but the Carnival ones are kept at around 75-80 degrees or basically the temperature of the Atlantic in August.

BnB

I'm sorry but that is not correct. A hot tub should NEVER be higher than 104 degrees. I own a hot tub and most newer hot tubs actually have a fail safe on them and the heater will turn off automatically once the water reaches 104. Anything higher then that and you risk definite injury (and for those with high blood pressure even 104 is too high and you shouldnt be in one above 98-100 degrees)

Laura

I've had problems with kids in the hot tubs on the Sensation. I don't care if well behaved older children/teens are in there, sitting, relaxing, and being respectful. But being dangerous, splashing, horseplay, etc is a quick way for me to get upset and get in touch with a staff member. I shared the hot tub several times with a Mom and daughter (possibly 12-14 years). Mom was relaxing, daughter had a magazine. I had no problem at all with THAT! But the next day with a group of tween/teens splashing, pushing ,etc - yep I DO have a problem with that.

I would go to security and ask THEM to remove the children, this way, you don't have to deal with parents, and the chances of the kids trying to sneak back in later in the week are lessened.

this is VERY good advice. i wouldn't do it myself...get a neutral party to do it. :D

Maybe I've been on the wrong ships, but I don't recall ever seeing any security anywhere!

I don't really do hot tubs, but it seems like every one I've ever walked past has been full of adolescents.

No, I wouldn't have a problem with a well-behaved kid with and adult. It's the hoards of loud, obnoxious teenagers that would bother me, and those are the ones I've always seen on my cruises.

Yes I have told children in the hot tubs that it is for adults and shown them the sign. The mom yells across the deck to just get in and not to listen to the lady.

The kids did not go somewhere else and security did not get involved!!

I agree with evryones post one hundred percent 100% parents aboard these ships should have better control over their kids I have neven cruised before but I have seen how kids have bhaved while I have been on various vacations and to say the least their behavior has been appalling.

I just hope that I don't run into any children like that on my upcoming cruise I don't have any children but I have 2 nieces 1 nephew 1 minor age sister and three minor age brothers 4 god children and a host of other children who are apart of my life in some sort of fashion. I using this time as a break from them until I return I hope I able to do just that:) :D :cool:

I had a very odd experience in a hot tub on board Carnival......There were three of us and a child I would guess 6-8 years of age got into the hot tub. No one said a word and the kid keeps staring at me and moving closer never loosing eye contact with me. I had no idea what was going on when suddenly he grabbed my prescription sunglasses off my face and start to leave the hot tub. *****.........man I got mad and caught him and wrestled my glasses back. He gave me a dirty look and left. I could have threw the brat over board I was mad enough to crack a nut to say the least.

I'm sorry but that is not correct. A hot tub should NEVER be higher than 104 degrees. I own a hot tub and most newer hot tubs actually have a fail safe on them and the heater will turn off automatically once the water reaches 104. Anything higher then that and you risk definite injury (and for those with high blood pressure even 104 is too high and you shouldnt be in one above 98-100 degrees)

Laura

Good point Laura.

And I own a pool... at 75-80 degrees (F) it's waay to cold to sit in. Barely OK for laps or swimming. The water will suck the warmth right out of you.

Most domestic hot water heaters are set to 120F, and there's still a danger of scalding ... above 130 and you can get scalded in a few seconds.

I had a very odd experience in a hot tub on board Carnival......There were three of us and a child I would guess 6-8 years of age got into the hot tub. No one said a word and the kid keeps staring at me and moving closer never loosing eye contact with me. I had no idea what was going on when suddenly he grabbed my prescription sunglasses off my face and start to leave the hot tub. *****.........man I got mad and caught him and wrestled my glasses back. He gave me a dirty look and left. I could have threw the brat over board I was mad enough to crack a nut to say the least.

What a nasty little brat- Where were the parents MIA??

I would have been mad also.....what nerve!!! :mad:

Well, that's a separate issue, but the reason the hot tubs are kept below a certain temperature is so that Carnival dosen't have problems with folks staying in too long and then collapsing on the way out. A true hot tub should be somewhere around 135 -145 degrees, but the Carnival ones are kept at around 75-80 degrees or basically the temperature of the Atlantic in August.

BnB

135 degree water will scald you. I think your numbers are off. Most H2O heaters are dfaulted to 120 degrees for this reason. the numbers you give would not be tolerable in any hot tub.

I avoid the deck hot tub issue altogether and go to the hot tubs in the gym area. They are usually empty! My DH and I take books and relax inside - nice and quiet.....I don't want to go in a hot tub when children have been in them - it's like swimming in a toilet. :eek:

I avoid the deck hot tub issue altogether and go to the hot tubs in the gym area. They are usually empty! My DH and I take books and relax inside - nice and quiet.....I don't want to go in a hot tub when children have been in them - it's like swimming in a toilet. :eek:

What a weird thing to say. There are a lot of kid-haters on this board.

What a weird thing to say. There are a lot of kid-haters on this board.

Just because she said that she doesn't want to be in a hot tub filled with kids doesn't mean she is a kid hater. :rolleyes: I don't want to be in a hot tub with kids either and I have two children of my own and I'm far from a kid hater.

Archived