Clelia II

seagoingJLW

She was originally Renaissance's RENAISSANCE IV, one of the original eight "yacht-sized" Renaissance ships built from 1989 through 1991 (not to be confused with the much larger R ships built from 1998 through 2000).

She is owned by the Haji-Ioannou family who bought her from Renaissance in 1996. She is used both as the family yacht as well as chartered to various companies for cruises.

Stelios Haji-Ioannou is famous for being the founder of easyJet and the other easy companies. These will soon include easyCruise - really more a foot-passenger-only ferry than an actual cruise product - which will ironically use the former RENAISSANCE II, sister to CLELIA II, though the easyCruise vessel will be refitted in a completely different style than CLELIA II which seems to be basically as she was when Renaissance used her in the 1990s.

Aside from her history and basic particulars I don't know all that much about her; as a small and relatively low-key vessel I haven't seen a tremendous lot written about her.

Hope this helps.

The 2003 edition of the Berlitz Guide to Ocean Cruising has a review of the Clelia 11.

Briefly,4007 tons,rated 4*,suites range from 210-538 sq.ft.,carries 84 passengers.

Thanks for your info. Unfortunately I have the 2004 edition of Berlitz (I get it every other year.) The Clelia II is not in it.

Joan

Archived