Snorkel Excursions in Belize

On the RCCL website there are "power snorkel", "catamaran snorkel", and other options available. Many include time at a beach. Rendezvous Caye and one other location are mentioned as snorkeling sites.

Does anyone have any personal experience with these excursions and can guide us in making a decision?

When my wife and I were in Belize we went cave tubing!! It was a great time. This was not with RCCL but a private operator.

David.................................:cool:

My husband and I also did the cave tubing and it was fantastic. It was relaxing and fun.

Michele

We did snorkeling in Belize last year...it was great. We didn't cruise RCI, we did an NCL cruise, but our experience was great. My 1st time ever snorkeling. Our NCL trip was a catamaran/snorkel with a visit to an island. Wonderful trip:D

In Belize on our Grandeur cruise my wife and I took the Shark/Ray Alley tour. It was great and one of the best excursions I've ever done anywhere. They pick you up at the ship and take you out to the reef which is about a 40 minute boat ride. They suppled all the snorkel gear and we got to swim with sharks (mostly nurse sharks) and stingrays. It's also on the barrier reef so there's lots of that to look at too. It was very safe and well worth the trip out there. After the snorkeling, they took us to a resort on Ambergris Caye for a nice lunch at the restaurant and a freshwater pool to swim and relax for an hour or so. If they still have this excursion on the list I highly recommend it.

If you want wonderful snorkeling choose an excursion that goes to Shark/Ray Alley or Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Shark/Ray Alley is exactly as it sounds. You will snorkel with nurse sharks and rays. Hol Chan is the reef and it is spectacular. Another good snorkeling area is Mexico Rocks/Tres Coco. All are fantastic snorkeling experiences.

Shark/Ray Alley was not mentioned in any of the excursions offered on RCCL's website for our cruise...:confused: Most go to Rendezvous Caye area.

Has anyone "power" snorkeled? Would that be preferable over traditional snorkeling?

If you want wonderful snorkeling choose an excursion that goes to Shark/Ray Alley or Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Shark/Ray Alley is exactly as it sounds. You will snorkel with nurse sharks and rays. Hol Chan is the reef and it is spectacular. Another good snorkeling area is Mexico Rocks/Tres Coco. All are fantastic snorkeling experiences.

I hope someone answers your question. All I can tell you is I took the bannister island excursion two weeks ago. Later at dinner, my tablemates told me that they had done a snorkle/beach excursion. the beach part was to bannister island (they arrived at 3, right after I left). They said they were sorry they didn't just do that. The snorkling wasn't that great, they dumped you out of a boat in the middle of nowhere. Bannister also offered snorkling equipment that I saw many people use.

Bannister island was a really nice relaxing excursion.

We did the Rendezvous Caye snorkle on Legend in January. It's an amazing location with a huge varitey of corals and sea life. A guide was leading the group in the water and other guides were following along in sea kayaks. They were very careful to make sure no one touched the coral which I was thrilled to see. Some of the corals I snorkled around were hundreds of years old. As snorklers tired they were led to the Cay for beach time, swimming, drinks and snacks. I was in the water with the guide for almost the entire time, we were the last ones snorkeling. She was great and didn't try to rush me out of the water, it was as if she was having as much fun as I was, we were showing each other interesting things we found. Although newbies to snorkeling would be safe with the crew, the location does have current and the less strong swimmers quit and hit the beach soon after starting. It's a wonderful location and tour for experienced snorklers and strong swimmers. One of the best locations i've been to. ;)

I appreciate everyone's input! Thank you!

I think we are leaning toward the power snorkeling...

I REALLY should NOT have watched my son's "Shark Week" DVD last night...BAD IDEA! :eek: REALLY bad idea. :eek:

Now I am being a bit scared about the whole thing...but am determined to do it anyway. :)

We had a Holland America snorkeling excursion to Goff's Cay last December. We were picked up at the ship. It took about 30 minutes to get to the cay. There were about 20 of us with one guide. The coral and fish were great, but it was tough snorkeling with that big of a crowd. There were other groups and a bit of current to contend with. The cay had limited shade and a rocky walk to snorkeling depth.

I am sorry to sound so negative. We had a great time. I would do it again. There were five ships in Belize and everything was packed.

• 11 months later...
I hope someone answers your question. All I can tell you is I took the bannister island excursion two weeks ago. Later at dinner, my tablemates told me that they had done a snorkle/beach excursion. the beach part was to bannister island (they arrived at 3, right after I left). They said they were sorry they didn't just do that. The snorkling wasn't that great, they dumped you out of a boat in the middle of nowhere. Bannister also offered snorkling equipment that I saw many people use.

Bannister island was a really nice relaxing excursion.

We are doing the catamaran snorkle and had thought about doing the Bannister Island excursion but could not get info on the cost of renting the equipment. When I looked at the cost of everything it seemed it might be more expensive renting the equipment. Any one have an idea of the cost at the island? PS - I'm glad the thread was opened back up!!

Archived