Questions about Dawn from Newbie

KittyKat4

We recently did the one-nighter on the Spirit out of NYC and loved it. :) It was our first time cruising and we were so excited that we want to do the 7 day cruise to NE/Canada in Sept. 08 on the Dawn.

We're thinking of booking an oceanview balcony on deck 9 and wondered if anyone has any suggestions/problems/tips regarding these particular cabins. Which are the best? Are there any cabins that have obstructions that limit the view? Are there smoking/non-smoking rooms?

Also, is there a self-service laundry on the Dawn and where is it located?

Hi there....

The Dawn is beautiful and all the rooms ae nice. The 9th floor is a great floor for a balcony room. Try to get a room on the PORT side of the boat because when the ship pulls into the different ports, that is the side where you can see the towns and or islands the best from your room.

The starboard side faces out into the ocean. I like the port side better. We have been on the Dawn twice and we have three more cruises on her still to go. She is my favorite, big enough, yet small enough.

As far as I know there is no smoking in the rooms, but I have seen people smoking on their balconies. The pool is smoking on the starboard side and no smoking on the port side. They are pretty good about enforcing it too. I am a smoker and I am not bothered by the smoking rules. :)

There is laundry - I think it is on the 11th floor, but hey what the heck you are on vaction, use the laundry sevice inthe room, you would be surprised how inexpensive....:p

We recently did the one-nighter on the Spirit out of NYC and loved it. :) It was our first time cruising and we were so excited that we want to do the 7 day cruise to NE/Canada in Sept. 08 on the Dawn.

We're thinking of booking an oceanview balcony on deck 9 and wondered if anyone has any suggestions/problems/tips regarding these particular cabins. Which are the best? Are there any cabins that have obstructions that limit the view? Are there smoking/non-smoking rooms?

Also, is there a self-service laundry on the Dawn and where is it located?

Sounds like your are "hooked"...just takes one day on a ship;)

The Dawn is a great ship:)

Oceanview balcony on deck 9 will not have no obstructions.

At this time all cabins/balconies are smoking. If you do not smoke, don't worry. The cabins never smell smoky.

Smoking has been port-side at the pool and promenade deck.

There is self-service laundry and ironing on the Dawn. I believe on 3 different decks (I don't do laundry on vacation). Just ask your cabin steward where the laundry rooms are.

You will need quarters to buy the detergent, unless you bring your own detergent.

We've sailed Canada/New England twice. A beautiful cruise. The ports are great. September is a great time for that cruise.

We've always sailed Fwd., cabin but a recent poster said that starboard side is best for the viewing in ports on the Canada/New England itineraries.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi there....

The Dawn is beautiful and all the rooms ae nice. The 9th floor is a great floor for a balcony room. Try to get a room on the PORT side of the boat because when the ship pulls into the different ports, that is the side where you can see the towns and or islands the best from your room.

The starboard side faces out into the ocean. I like the port side better. We have been on the Dawn twice and we have three more cruises on her still to go. She is my favorite, big enough, yet small enough.

As far as I know there is no smoking in the rooms, but I have seen people smoking on their balconies. The pool is smoking on the starboard side and no smoking on the port side. They are pretty good about enforcing it too. I am a smoker and I am not bothered by the smoking rules. :)

There is laundry - I think it is on the 11th floor, but hey what the heck you are on vaction, use the laundry sevice inthe room, you would be surprised how inexpensive....:p

Hi and thanks for the info. When a friend told me about the one-nighter we couldn't pass up the price.....$99pp inside. She also told me about CruiseCritic and I've gotta say that I've learned SO MUCH from all the postings. When I posted my question about the balcony staterooms I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

Yup, it only took about 5 minutes on the ship for me to get hooked. The funniest part was my husband who had been a navy man for 8 years and had been on air craft carriers and the like. He was a little skeptical about what to expect on a cruise ship. Hmmmm......let's compare apples and oranges, shall we. hee hee

Thanks again for the info.

Archived