Have you sailed out of Norfolk?

pcs15

We are considering a HAL cruise out of Norfolk but are concerned about the long trip down the coast. For anyone that has done this - was the first day rough seas? Or is it similar to sailing out of Florida?

Any other information about sailing out of Norfolk would be appreciated. We can drive to Norfolk from Baltimore, but don't know whether it would be better to fly to FL as we have done in the past.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry that I cannot give you personal experience regarding sailing out of Norfolk. I have a BIL that lives in Norfolk and he has said on numerous occasions that the sail out of Norfolk is great. :)

We have a two-fold outlook on cruising, one is to visit exciting new places, the second is to relax and have fun. Sailing from Norfolk gives you a day at sea to start (unwind), a few stops to explore new places, and then a day at sea on the home trip - to chill-out... a great beginning and ending to a cruise vacation... Pebbles and I will probably sail out of Baltimore or Norfolk for our next cruise FOR THIS VERY REASON...

As for the rough waters, its no rougher here in Virginia than in Maryland or NYC, besides, with the size of the ships today, you are not going to feel much anyways, unless you are sailing next week and will meet Francis on the way... :eek:

From baltimore, you are about 4+ hours out of Norfolk, an easy drive down and back on 95/264/64. Enjoy!!! :D

We sailed out of Norfolk in March on the Maasdam. It was a bit rough both going out and coming back because of the Outer Banks, which slowed us down, so we missed the party island. However, since they were late so many times leaving and coming back, they changed the itinerary allowing more time to reach the first port, so this was not a problem after we were on. We drove down from DC suburbs in MD in 3.5 hours and my husband parked in the public lot after dropping me and my friend off with the luggage. We had lots of time to look around at the museum, have the free lunch provided by HAL which was in the hotel down the street. I enjoyed seeing the Navy yard and ships on the way in and out of port. There is a webcam of the port at

http://www.wvec.com/cams/norfolk.html?1 More info on the port at

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/

I haven't been on here much lately so may not get back to you if you have any more questions. Hope you decide to go and have a nice trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Not from port of Norfolk, but have sailed twice from Baltimore to Caribbean so we pass by Norfolk exiting/entering Chesapeake bay. We have had no bad experiences with rough water in June & August, but I was concerned that the Atlantic, particularly along the Outer Banks with it's history of shipwrecks, might be a problem. Turned out to be smooth sailing all the way. Have a great trip!

Archived