My Heart Belongs to Carnival but . . .

Hawaii697

I put together a group cruise every other year. I would love to sail on the Liberty in 2009, but the group now wants to try RCCL. So, I'm doing some researching. Have any of you sailed on the Adventure of the Seas? .

I think you need to check the RCCL Board for that info. By the way, my traitor daughter loves Adventure of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, she is a diehard RCCL Fan, she suck.

Fred

I have 12 out of 48 cruises on Carnival. Haven't cruised Carnival since 2004. Last cruise was NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS, before that 2 cruises on Princess. But the next cruise [unless we sneak one in] is on Carnival. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd pick Carnival as a cruise line. If I had to pick a favorite cruise SHIP, I'd pick A RCL VOYAGER class ship[which AOS is]. The way Barb and I look at it is, all our past cruises are just memories, all our future cruises are just plans, but the cruise we ARE on is real, here and now. Might as well enjoy it. That attitude has worked 48 times, enjoyed every one. They are all good, as in, "The worst cruise I ever had was terrific!"

Dan

Man I love that attitude:) "all our past cruises are just memories, all our future cruises are just plans, but the cruise we ARE on is real, here and now" If that doesn't sum it up, nothing will. I'm with you 100%. You're my new hero!:D I aspire to cruise as much as you have.

I think you need to check the RCCL Board for that info. By the way, my traitor daughter loves Adventure of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, she is a diehard RCCL Fan, she suck.

Fred

Fred,

You know its ALWAYS the parents fault!!!:eek::D

Dan

To the OP, we have cruised on Adventure of the Seas and for the most part did enjoy the cruise. We were on the Aruba itinerary. I agree that you should check out the RCI board. There were a couple different slants just yeserday from two Cruise Critics that were on the same AOS cruise...one liked their experience while the other did not like their experience.

John & Shari

I put together a group cruise every other year. I would love to sail on the Liberty in 2009, but the group now wants to try RCCL. So, I'm doing some researching. Have any of you sailed on the Adventure of the Seas? I like the itinerary (Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Marteen, etc.) but I've never sailed on anything but Carnival. I look forward to your opinions and thanks for your responses.
I've been on the Adventure of the Seas. The big RCCL ships are a good choice for group cruises because they have so many things to do (rock climbing, ice skating, etc) so there is something to do for everyone. Personally, I like smaller ships but that didn't stop us from booking this cruise after already being on Voyager of the Seas and knowing what the ship would be like (tendering on a ship this big isn't fun, but there are no tender ports on this itinerary). We just didn't bother going ice skating or rock climbing this time. The one bad thing is that their hamburger grille is a Johnny Rockets which has a cover charge, so if you like grabbing a hamburger or hot dog while out on deck for a sea day, you have to pay (and who wants to go to a '50s place like Johnny Rockets without getting a milkshake or a root beer float, which also costs extra). I don't remember if these items were also available in the buffet in the Windjammer. Pizza and ice cream are both found on the Promenade instead of out on the Lido deck. As Crown & Anchor members we should have gotten vouchers to pay for the cover, but I don't remember ever seeing them. RCCL has Portofinos, which is their version of a separate cover dinner venue. The Portofinos on Adventure of the Seas was excellent.

The itinerary is great, with a lot of diversity between dry islands like Barbedos and tropical rainforest islands like St. Lucia. It didn't hurt that that was our first cruise to try a balcony -- a detail we definitely repeated on the Pride last month. RCCL doesn't have Chocolate Melting Cake... if you can live without that, everything else is pretty similar:).

I say go for it! We are cruising with Princess next year on the new Ruby Princess. It will be brand new and it's inaugural cruise. I can't wait.

I’m not a one cruise line person. I’m going with what I think is the best ship and what’s best for us at the time.

AOS is the only cruise ship I have done twice and it is one of my favorite ships. We have done both itineraries that are offered out of San Juan, the Aruba route and the St. Lucia route. I liked them both. Food is very good on this ship, it is beautiful and even though very large, it is easy to get around. You will get your exercise and work off dinner if you skip the elevators like I do!! This last cruise we also spent a few days on the beach in San Juan and absolutely loved it! As you can see from my signature, we cruise RCL a lot but one of our other favorite ships was the Carnival Pride. We just got back from the Fantasy and weren't too impressed, but it was a nice relaxing cruise, just nothing outstanding. Maybe we just like the bigger, fancier ships. Each to their own, I guess.

My website has pictures of both of our trips on AOS. You are welcome to check it out.

We were die-hard RCL fans - 12 cruises worth. Then I got a great rate on Carnival Spirit to Hawaii a couple of years ago and we absolutely were amazed at how much we enjoyed Carnival and we just came back from the Liberty last month. Originally DH didn't want to switch from RCL because we really loved cruising with RCL - BUT - if we didn't try Carnival we would have never experienced the Hawaii cruise and now can honestly say that we tend to prefer Carnival over RCL. So you won't know until you try - you may be pleasantly surprised like us or may want to go back to RCL - but honestly between the two I don't think you will be greatly disappointed with Carnival - if at all !

I have sailed with RCI a few times. I prefer CCL but I have never been disappointed with RCI. We had a family and friends group on the Granduer a few years back.

We had people from their late 60's all the way down to a 5 year old. We all loved it not one complaint from anyone.

As wonderful as CCL is I do not think you will go wrong in doing a RCI cruise. JMHO

I have cruised RCI several times and love it. I cruise on both Carnival and RC - whatever itinerary and port that works for our wants/needs at the time. Variety is the spice of life! What difference does it make which line you cruise on? Go and have fun! They each have their good points and bad points - bottom line, the trip is what you make of it. RCI is a wonderful cruise line as is Carnival.

Glad to hear you all love Carnival. We're diehard RCCL fans but got a brilliant deal on Valor for this December, so decided to take a chance. I'm sure we'll enjoy it - how can we not like cruising - but are a bit worried as we are NOT party people and I have visions of being surrounded by loud enforced gaiety:o

Is there anybody else like us out there?

friends don't let friends sail rccl:)

Then your friends are seriously missing out. :p (BTW, don't take one cruise on Sovereign and think that represents RCCL now)

Yes I say go for RCCL and AOS. But one question, you said they want to sail out of Miami? AOS doesn't sail out of Miami. Or was that your point? lol

If they want to sail out of Miami - then go on a Freedom class ship Freedom of the Seas/Liberty of the Seas.

But stick with Voyager/Freedom Class (Grandeur doesn't come close so you can't compare that one either)

And RCCL is having a one day sail next week for discounted deposits and OBC...next Wednesday. So if you can get everyone together by then, you might save some bucks too

I urge you to research a lot of reviews and opinions of those on the RCI board before booking this cruise.

I am a long time cruiser,and currently prefer RCI over anything I have ever sailed.

Having said that,the Adventure has its certain "issues".

Not saying anything from personal opinion or beliefs.But just from reading many of reviews.I know that the Carnival ships that sail from PR also recieved many of the same type reviews.

Be aware that sailing from PR,this ships sails full regularly with locals...(that would be Puerto Ricans :) ) And the ship and its staff and activites and music etc are greatly influenced by the culture and its presence on board...Some folks love this,some are over whelmed..

Again..Before I get flammed...This is not my opinion,I have never been on the ship...And I love me some PR's...:D

Just saying...make sure your group is comfortable with stepping outside the box.

I don't remember when you are sailing...But summer sailings seem to get a lot of complaints...As do Holiday sailings...And other times of years when the discount heavily to the locals.

As for doing RCI...No way you can go wrong...Just make sure you pick the right ship and itinerary for your group.

Good Luck and have a great cruise.

I urge you to research a lot of reviews and opinions of those on the RCI board before booking this cruise.

I am a long time cruiser,and currently prefer RCI over anything I have ever sailed.

Having said that,the Adventure has its certain "issues".

Not saying anything from personal opinion or beliefs.But just from reading many of reviews.I know that the Carnival ships that sail from PR also recieved many of the same type reviews.

Be aware that sailing from PR,this ships sails full regularly with locals...(that would be Puerto Ricans :) ) And the ship and its staff and activites and music etc are greatly influenced by the culture and its presence on board...Some folks love this,some are over whelmed..

Again..Before I get flammed...This is not my opinion,I have never been on the ship...And I love me some PR's...:D

Just saying...make sure your group is comfortable with stepping outside the box.

I don't remember when you are sailing...But summer sailings seem to get a lot of complaints...As do Holiday sailings...And other times of years when the discount heavily to the locals.

As for doing RCI...No way you can go wrong...Just make sure you pick the right ship and itinerary for your group.

Good Luck and have a great cruise.

HAHAHAHAHA I like the way you put that so nicely. And I agree, I have seen the same reviews and the same complaints about any ship leaving out of San Juan.

There were lots of Latin Americans on our RCCL repo cruise that concluded in San Juan. I loved it! The salsa band on the Lido deck at night was excellent. Dozens of people dancing. It was great.

I've been on CCL (1) & RCI (2) out of SJ and will admit that CCL was overwhelmingly Hispanic. However, it was shortly after 9/11 and Americans were not traveling (I got a GREAT deal on Destiny). But like you, I loved the flavor of the cruise. The music and dancing (young and old, they can dance!) was great entertainment. And we did not run into any rude or pushy people. But the two RCI cruises was a great mix of people. I'm on Adventure this February. I would not hesitate to cruise out of SJ.

Hawaii - We just returned from the destiny doing the same cruise. See my review, but I just wanted to tell you we met a travel agent in the airport who just got off the AOS from a royal seminar. She told me the ship is in very poor shape, the food was awful and the staff not friendly. Exactly opposite of what we found on the Destiny.

I think Carnival is really trying to change their image and they are doing a great job at it.

Happy sailing

HAHAHAHAHA I like the way you put that so nicely. And I agree, I have seen the same reviews and the same complaints about any ship leaving out of San Juan.

Have you heard any about the Crown Princess:confused: I have been checking and have not come across any. We will be sailing on her out of San Juan in Dec:o

Have you heard any about the Crown Princess:confused: I have been checking and have not come across any. We will be sailing on her out of San Juan in Dec:o

No sorry since I have never been on Princess I don't read their board as much. So I haven't seen anything about Crown.

It's like all ports. If you have a large part of the "local population" on the ship than people are going to complain about it if the "local population" are different from them. I have to laugh at the reviews from ships that leave out of Phillie. I have seen complaints about there being too many pushy Italian Americans (that's my people, whatsit to ya...lol) onboard. ;)

It would be like leaving on the QE2 out of England and complaining about all of the Brits...lol.

OF course ships out of SJ have lots of people from SJ. I bet ships out of Florida have lots of people from Florida...lol. :D

No sorry since I have never been on Princess I don't read their board as much. So I haven't seen anything about Crown.

Ok good. Because I have been reading the Princess boards for about a year regarding this cruise and I have seen nothing. Maybe cause Princess doesn't sail there year round, so they have no problems filling up the ship.

Ok good. Because I have been reading the Princess boards for about a year regarding this cruise and I have seen nothing. Maybe cause Princess doesn't sail there year round, so they have no problems filling up the ship.

For curiosity sake I just went and read some of the March/April cruise member reviews for the Crown out of SJ. It looks like the biggest complaint out of those that were complaining was the layout of the ship and that the staff wasn't as friendly as Carnival...lol. :D

No worries. I am sure you will have a great time. Do you get to stop at Turks/Caicos by any chance?

For curiosity sake I just went and read some of the March/April cruise member reviews for the Crown out of SJ. It looks like the biggest complaint out of those that were complaining was the layout of the ship and that the staff wasn't as friendly as Carnival...lol. :D

No worries. I am sure you will have a great time. Do you get to stop at Turks/Caicos by any chance?

Those kinds of comments I don't pay attention to:D Why? because you can have bad service or unfriendly crew on any ship. It has nothing to do with the cruiseline lol! We have encountered that ourselves on Carnival but it didn't ruin our cruise. We have been on the Star Princess so I know Princess ships layouts are alot different then Carnival and RCCL. Just ready for something different.

We won't be going to Turks/Caicos we are going to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola and St. Thomas. I can't wait to try the anytime dining:D

Archived