Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Excursions

chewbacca

My DH & I are cruising on the Freedom March 2008 and have started to plan our excursions. My question is in Grand Cayman should we book through Carnival for the 7 mile beach excursion or can we just take a taxi to the beach? We were hoping to go to the beach for a little bit then go do some shopping.

In Ocho Rios we wanted to do the Dunn's River Falls excursion but are only in port from 8:00-3:30. Most of the excursions are at least 4 hours long. Should we book this from Carnival also or is there a private company that someone recommends?

TIA!!!

Grand caymen 7 mile beach is like 5 miles really, but you do need a taxi, the hilton or mariott has a great beach with the chair rentals, last time I was there they were recovering from IVAN and all was destroyed. the sea grape is a longer taxi drive at the peak of 7 mile and catching a taxi takes a bit more time, but $$ less per drinks and chair. I like the middle with the hilton or mariott, forgot which is which, been a bit, but they were the first hotel at the time almost done with the remodel.

The beach is short enough to get dropped off closest to the pier and physically walk it if you are in basic health, it's sponge sand and beautiful, then pick your place to stay and rent a chair or throw down a towel.

I wish I could remember where, because the snorkeling, even after the hurricaine was fair off the sand. I'll try to link a picture of the building. Either way, in fair health, just walk it and decide, any hotel can call a cab for you from the front desk, just don't share that you don't stay there. okay it worked, the yellow building, mid beach had the best deal at the time we went, but again, you can see it was post hurricaine, but snorkeling was still there and the prices were good.

IMG_6610.jpg?t=1192115025

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/nimbex1970/Grandeur%20repositioning%20RCI%202005/IMG_6609.jpg?t=1192115239

link to view from ship

My suggestion would be to take a taxi to Dunns Falls. You don't want to miss this!! We made the mistake last time of walking to the falls. It is further then you think and kinda scary. That's a whole other story. ;o) Anyway when you get there you can pay to go in and climb the falls by yourself. If you would prefer to go with a group then check out the group excursions however if you are trying to save time go ahead and take on the Falls yourself. My DF and I are HUGE Jimmy Buffett fans so my absolute favorite part of Ocho Rios is Margaritaville, in fact it is my favorite Margaritaville and we have been to a lot of them even Grand Turk. We are going on Carnival Freedom Dec 8th! I can't wait!!!

Have you started to plan the excursions for Grand Cayman?? Do not miss Stingray City. It is absolutely amazing. Do not book with Carnival. Wait until you get off the ship. There will be people holding signs for Stingray City. It is usually $10-$20 a person cheaper then the one offered by Carnival. A few more great adventures in Grand Cayman are the Turtle Farm, Hell, and of course Margaritaville!!!! If you want to check out the 7 mile beach there are people at the dock that will take you there as well. Do not book with Carnival. It is a lot more expensive.

You will have fun!!! Let me know if you have any other questions. This is our 4 time to Grand Cayman in a year and our 2nd time in Ocho Rios!!

Talk to you soon

P.S. If you decide to do The Falls in Ocho Rios go to a local Wal Mart before you leave and buy some water shoes. They are only $5 or so. This is what you are going to pay to rent them at the falls. I would not use the ones at the falls because they are all falling apart and you will get rocks and sand in your shoes. Climbing up a huge waterfall, you dont want to have any distractions.

Just a tip!

In Caymen I booked through an independant company, for Stingray island, then we went snorkeling, it was awesome, and I booked online so it cost me 5 or 10 $ less per person, it was very well ran, it was Moby Dick tours, they meet you on shore right by where you get off the boat. For Ocho Rios, I wish we had booked our Dunns River Falls through carnival, but we had booked an independant company who never showed, but we found a cab that took us there and back, but we got roped into doing this other bus ride thing, but we would have much rather went to the beach, for Jamaica, go through Carnival, at least I would this time.;)

Archived