Have you done the rock climbing wall? Need advice please

We will be sailing on Grandeur of the Seas (October 2008). I would love to try the rock climbing wall and have plenty of time to get in shape for it. I would love to return with a picture from our honeymoon with me on the rock climbing wall and perhaps some pictures taken from up there. :D I was wondering if anyone could recommend some exercises / tips for getting in shape to 'conquer the rock climbing wall'. I don't know anyone personally who has done any rock climbing. All information greatly appreciated!

Best bet - find a local rock gym and go climbing!

The wall is "easy" enough that if you are already in fairly good shape you should be able to make it. I climb frequently, but my wife who climbs rarely and my father who never climbs but is in good shape both made it up with no trouble. Make sure you keep breathing :)

They probably would not let you bring a camera up, but you could ask I suppose. I would not bother if it's a nice camera because there is the potential for it getting banged around.

But you can (and should) get pictures taken from the ground. Tip - if you don't have a zoom lens, if you have someone take a picture from close range while you're close to the ground, no one can tell how high you are anyway :)

As the other poster indicated the rock climbing wall is "easy". Once you sign up for the wall you can come back and do it as many times as you want. I would imagine that if you did it several times your thigh muscles might be sore the next day. If you did anything to prepare for it I would recommend squats or lunges.

Basically your legs do 95% of the work. Your hands/arms are used mainly for balance. I don't know where you would find the opportunity to take a picture while climbing but maybe at the top or on the way down. When you get to the top you ring the bell and then put both hands on the belay rope. Then they lower you down. May be a good picture time there.

Good Luck

Jimmers

Maybe some upper body work with weights would help too. While your legs do most of the work, I found that I use my arms to help pull me up too. As mentioned, squats and lunges would really help those quads.

I have done the rock wall on the Vision, the Mariner, and the Serenade. They have an easier section and a harder one. Start with the easier one first.;)

My hands always hurt a bit after climbing - maybe because I am gripping too hard!:o

I don't think you are allowed to have anything around your neck or waist when you climb. I always give my little shoulder bag to someone else to hold. I even feel afraid to take one hand off to ring the bell, let alone both to take a picture!:rolleyes: I know I am not going to fall, but my self-preservation instinct kicks in. My family/friends take pics from the ground.

Have fun - nothing quite like it!

The wall is a blast. It is realtively easy as exercise or sports go. As mentioned earlier there are several different routes up the wall and each is a bit more or less difficult than the others.

I wouldn't have a huge lunch right before the climb...but generally just go sign up and climb...no need for special exercise to do before or during the climbing.

Go have fun!

on the rock wall many, many times - total fear of heights. Six months ago I joined a rock climbing gym and I am ready to go for it in 36 days!! The guys are the gym were so nice to me. The first few lessons they didn't even let me climb - we went over all the basics they showed me how to tie the ropes so i knew they were safe. Then they climbed and I held the rope for them so I could see how easy it was for the person on the ground. The 3rd lesson they had me climb around the room so I was never more than 8 inches off the ground and once I got used to how to place my feet and balance we started climbing. It was a lot of work but it was fun. I hope I can do it on the ship - wish I could bring the guys from the gym with me!

Kathy

When you first climb it they have you do the easy section first, you also have to wear socks when you climb, you use their shoes but need socks I only mention this because I only had one pair of sports socks with me. Like the other replies said try and use your legs to push you up as much as possible, I was watching a survival show and the person also pointed out try not to have your arms over your head for a long time the blood rushes out and they get weaker faster. Later in the cruise they even have a rock climbing competition for youths and adults.

Here's something important that nobody else has mentioned: If you're particularly short, take the path they send the children up on. The holds are closer together. I ended up stranded about 1/3 of the way up last summer because there was nothing else I could reach:( ...bummer. My quick thinking (and very sweet:o ) DH took a picture of me up there with no perspective and even though I was probably only 8 - 10 feet up I look like Iron (wo)Man! One for the album for sure!

Happy Sails,

Annette

All good advice here! Another tip is to just keep going!! If you hesitate and start thinking about the climb you can expend a lot of energy just "hanging on". Most people I saw who failed did this. They would climb a few feet and then pause and try to think about what to do next and would soon get tired. To steal a phrase "Just do it!!" :D

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I know I need to work on hand and arm strength. My legs are VERY VERY strong and I have no worries there. I am also terrified of heights and thought of this as a conquer your fears kind of challenge.

Good for you!:D

I tried it once and failed on a past cruise. I felt like a bit of weenie, because most everyone else was making it up. :o Granted, they did put me on a more difficult section that went a bit beyond vertical. I got in a bad spot, where I had to use my arms too much to support my weight, and your arms can give out pretty quickly in that situation.

As others said, finding a place where you can try a climbing wall would be the best preparation. That will give you a sense of how to do it and how not to get in a bad spot like I did. That was the only time I tried on a ship, but I've done several other climbing walls since, and not had much trouble.

Archived