Olympus Stylus 770 SW

Ryffian

Ok, this little waterproof, shock proof, and freeze proof camera seems too good to be true. I've read dozens of reviews on various websites, most of them speaking its praise. I understand that it's not a fancy digital SLR and I don't expect the image quality to match. But it seems like a great little point-and-shoot that can go anywhere and do anything.

So where's the catch?

From my "research" on waterproof housings, it's important to keep the o-ring lubed and "conditioned" to preserve its waterproof-ness. How do you maintain waterproof-ness with this little camera? There must be several latches and doors and things to open to house the battery, memory card, output jacks, etc. How do you keep them waterproof over the long run?

Since this camera is relatively new, no one has had any real waterproof issues, but what happens a couple of years from now?

I'm really falling in love with this camera and want to buy it, but don't want to spend the money if it won't live up to its promises in the long run!

Help? :(

... the manual that comes with the camera recommends getting the waterproofing elements replaced by Olympus annually. Is that enough to maintain waterproof-ness?

Sorry if I seem picky, I'm just concerned about long-term usage from this cool camera! :D

There are several independent digital camera rating sites on the web. One of the best that I have found and one that I use frequently is Steve's Digicams. Here is the link to his website: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

The Stylus 700 series cameras will produce very good photos but possibly not quite as good as some of its predecessors. I use a Stylus 500 housed in Olympus' PT-026 underwater housing when I go diving. I also use a pair of Helix arm mounted strobes with this camera & housing. Even a single arm mounted strobe will greatly greatly improve the quality of your underwater pictures.

Hope this helps.

Andrea

We purchased the Stylus 770SW before our Tahitian cruise in August since we were doing a lot of snorkeling. The housing for my husbands Olympus C740 was discontinued and we were not happy with the disposables.

We were thrilled with the 770. It is very small and lightweight. We bought the rubber sleeve to go over the camera to protect it from scratches, scrapes, etc. It is approved for depths of 33 feet, however in Bora Bora a couple of the native guides that we were snorkeling with took it down 60 feet to capture pictures of the lemon sharks on the bottom. It worked just fine and we never had any issues.

The doors to the batteries and memory cards do have rubber seals and we will make sure that they are maintained since waiting too long could ruin the camera. We are taking scuba lessons for our upcoming cruise and will be using this camera again. Everyone in our CC group wanted this camera even if they had one with a waterproof housing if for nothing more than the convenience. Obviously there are better options for higher quality pictures, but we were all pleased with the outcomes from the 770. If you would like to see some examples from our Tahiti trip, just let me know and I can email some to you.

Marcia

Andrea

We purchased the Stylus 770SW before our Tahitian cruise in August since we were doing a lot of snorkeling. The housing for my husbands Olympus C740 was discontinued and we were not happy with the disposables.

We were thrilled with the 770. It is very small and lightweight. We bought the rubber sleeve to go over the camera to protect it from scratches, scrapes, etc. It is approved for depths of 33 feet, however in Bora Bora a couple of the native guides that we were snorkeling with took it down 60 feet to capture pictures of the lemon sharks on the bottom. It worked just fine and we never had any issues.

The doors to the batteries and memory cards do have rubber seals and we will make sure that they are maintained since waiting too long could ruin the camera. We are taking scuba lessons for our upcoming cruise and will be using this camera again. Everyone in our CC group wanted this camera even if they had one with a waterproof housing if for nothing more than the convenience. Obviously there are better options for higher quality pictures, but we were all pleased with the outcomes from the 770. If you would like to see some examples from our Tahiti trip, just let me know and I can email some to you.

Marcia

i would love to see some pictures taken with this camera as i'm in the market for one before my cruise .. i had bought the pentax w20 which leaked on the first use.. i returned it and they sent me a new one which i haven't tried yet but do not trust it..

I was able to post one picture underwater in Bora Bora on the CC Photo Gallery spot. I had issues when I tried to add others, but will try to figure it out and get some others posted today. You can view at least this one under my name. I'm learning, sorry:(

ok.. I've ordered this camera and will take it over thanksgiving to belize and roatan snorkeling... hope it does better than the Pentax did.. they did replace the pentax so i'll take both cameras and compare...altho the pentax is only supposed to go to 5 feet and it leaked just at surface use..

The word on the street is that it costs around $150 for Olympus to replace all the seals, etc ... which, again, they recommed doing annually to keep the camera waterproof. I have yet to speak with an Olympus person about this. Hmm.

Hi,

I have the Olympus Stylus 720 SW. I bought it in January 2007 and I absolutely love it. I have a big kodak camera that I use first if there is no water involved, but whenever it may get wet or if I just want to throw it in my pocket I use this camera. I used it snorkeling twice in our cruise in May and had it in the rain a couple of times this summer, and put it in the bathtub last month to make sure it still works. I bought a good tightening wrist strap online so that i don't have to worry about it when snorkelling.

The pictures while snorkeling were incredible. I was reviewing pictures while snorkeling, please couldn't believe it. In the past I have missed interesting things because the cheap underwater cameras didn't work, but this time I saw the pictures and new they were good.

I tried to attached photos to this posting but it will not work because they are too big.

I love the camera, but have only had it for a year, so I am not sure about the long term. I wouldn't give it up now. The pictures not in the water are good as well, but the zoom is smaller then my Kodak, so I still think my Kodak is a bit superior, but not half as durable.

I have this camera and LOVE it. Just be careful how deep you go as it is only waterproof to 10 ft! The only thing I suggest, is be very careful about rinsing it after salt water, and drying out all of the comparments, lense etc after getting out of the water. You will live to regret it if you don't. Fiancee forgot to rinse it once after saltwater and we always have to clean the lense now before we use it. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Here are some pics we took with it last year on our Valor cruise! Sorry so many but I was a little excited to share! The underwater pics were only edited by some minor correction in photoshop (ie: levels, contrast, color balance)

PC130474.jpg

PC100110.jpg

PC130489.jpg

PC130499.jpg

PC120254.jpg

PC120258.jpg

There's an octo hangin out in this pic ;)

PC120374.jpg

PC120382.jpg

PC120390.jpg

PC130429.jpg

It also takes great non water photos as well!

PC140558.jpg

I have TONS more if your interested. Send me a message! I can also help with advice on cleaning them up in photoshop.

OMG.. those pics are incredible..thanks for sharing...were those taken with the 720 or 770... I ordered the 770.. I hope it takes as good pics.. says its waterproof up to 32 feet.. but i'm only snorkeling so it won't be going anywhere near that...

I have the 720. Man, I might have to upgrade to the 770 if it goes to 32 feet! I love to free dive and the whole time we were passing the camera back and forth between my fiancee and I when I wanted to go down far to anything I thought close to 10 ft.

I forgot to mention.... You will get swarmed by the little guys at the first sight of the camera, they think you have food! I had like 15 fish on me at one point when I first hopped in the water, made for some GREAT pics.

krysty,

the directions with the camera says to soak in fresh tap water for 10 minutes after being in the salt water.. is there anything else you do for care and maintenance right after snorkeling?.. thanks so much for all the info

I just follow the directions exactly. We purchased 4 yr extended warranty with it at Best Buy so we make sure we do everything the book says(other than that one time we didn't rinse it).

Usually since we can't soak it on excursions we rinse it where we can, or dump fresh water over it, and then open all the compartments (battery/memory card, AV ports etc). Make sure you open them so they are down towards the ground in case any water is on the seals so it doesn't drip into the ports. Wipe them out with a towel just in case. We clean the lense a little more regularly with a lense cloth. Other that that, nothing else really! :)

Enjoy it, we love ours. I can't wait to see some of your pics!

What is the rubber sleeve for this camera, referred to by a previous poster? Is it an additional item purchased separately? Or is it included when you buy this camera? We are seriously considering purchasing one and want to be well informed.

Thanks

It is just a silicone covering to protect the camera body from getting scratched or dinged. They are made for specific cameras. It doesn't do anything special and is definitely not required. I paid $15 for it simply because we were investing money in the camera and we wanted to protect it. My husband just removed it to rinse it and doesn't leave it on always.

What is the rubber sleeve for this camera, referred to by a previous poster? Is it an additional item purchased separately? Or is it included when you buy this camera? We are seriously considering purchasing one and want to be well informed.

Thanks

One thing that I've read (elsewhere) about that rubber sleeve thing is that you have to remove it to take out the memory card, battery, etc; and it's a tight fit so it's not exactly "easy on easy off." Maybe those of you who have this camera can comment?

Yes, you do remove the sleeve for taking out the cards or battery. You are able to use all of the functions with it on. However, it goes on and off easily and we take it off and put it back on frequently. Besides protecting the body of the camera, the silicone sleeve also allows for better gripping of the camera particularly in water. A nice option piece IMHO, but certainly not necessary.

We don't have the rubber sleeve. While it might be a nice thing to have, I am not too concerned. We bought it because it was shockproof and waterpoof, perfect for the kinds of thing we like to do, so we pretty much expected it to get dinged at some point. It's been dropped, carried around by our puppy, and maybe has 2 or 3 dings in it, but that doesn't bother me, so if you're not worried, then I don't think you *need* to get it. We just keep it in a nice camera case when it's not being used, unless the puppy grabs it and takes off!

What other accessories would those of you who have the camera recommend getting? What did you end up leaving the store with, were you convinced to buy too many extras? Anything a salesman sold you that you found out you didn't really need? Thanks!

Andrea,

We actually purchased the camera and sleeve online. I paid $292 for the camera and $15 for the sleeve. The only other thing we purchased was an extra battery and large capacity memory card. We have been completely happy with the photos from this camera and the fact that we could take it snorkeling or shallow diving is fantastic. We know that there will be maintenance issues with seals, etc. but even using one of the waterproof housings for another digital camera requires some maintenance. It's just really convenient not to have to do the set up with a separate housing. Just take it and start snorkeling! Good luck with your decision. There are many good choices out there.

Marcia

Archived