Olympus Stylus 770 SW

Ryffian

Just wanted to chime in here. I also have the 770sw, there is a newer version out now, but for what it is worth, I just love this camera - it's small, rugged, takes great pictures, pretty good video (even underwater), and well, we all know - it's waterproof!!!

I purchased the camera, case, and 2 xd memory cards - battery life is quite decent - so that's it.

I upgraded from a sealife underwater digital to the 720 SW - it was our X-mas present last year. We dive, so went ahead and bought the underwater case as well. I think we paid about $500 for both (including a 1G card), and another $40 in a 2G memory card.

I have been really stunned at the difference in the photos.

You can take a look at our trip and dive photos here: http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

While you're looking at these - please remember that we had a lot of surge on these dives, which doesn't make for good photos, and I spent most of my time playing with the macro settings. New toy...

Also, unless you're in a big hurry, there will probably be some good specials coming out shortly before the holidays.

Have a great trip and enjoy your new camera!

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

ahoy,

I'm interested of buying the 770SW for my March 1, 2008 cruise just for the fact that it mentions waterproof and shatterproof.

One quick question - Do you need a separate card to take videos. The video I just watched on youtube went on for a quite a while. it was great.

Krysy - The underwater pictures are amazing:eek: - Did you zoom in for the blow fish? Congratulations - great pictures.

Take care all,

Sophia

Sophia,

You can use the same card for video and pictures. My 1 gig card will hold aprox 45 min video from the 770. I took some video underwater, wicked cool :cool:

Thanks for the compliments on the pics! No zoom on the puffer he was an inquisitive little fellow! He followed me around for about a half an hour, swam next to me, checked me out as I checked him out. I put my hand out (of course away from his nasty beak!) and he came up and floated onto it and let me tickle his belly. He rubbed on my hand like he was a cat! :) I was beyond excited, I used to have one quite a bit smaller in my aquarium at home, they have one heck of a personallity.

ahoy,

Thanks for all the great info Krysy!! One more question. My ship "Crown Princess" will be going to Bonaire and St. Kitt. Have you ever been to those islands for snorkerling? Can you recommend anything? Oh! and where did you go to take those great pictures of the puffer? He is a cutie patutie!!!:p

Thanks,

Sophia

ahoy,

Thanks for all the great info Krysy!! One more question. My ship "Crown Princess" will be going to Bonaire and St. Kitt. Have you ever been to those islands for snorkerling? Can you recommend anything? Oh! and where did you go to take those great pictures of the puffer? He is a cutie patutie!!!:p

Thanks,

Sophia

I've heard Bonaire is a great place to go snorkeling. We were intially going to book that cruise for our honeymoon, but decided on the Adventure of the Seas instead. Darnit, at one point I had done a lot of research on Bonair and snorkeling, but I can't seem to find it... like I said, I have heard it's a wonderful place for snorkeling, it's a desert island, but the aquatic life is outstanding. I think we were going to rent a car and drive around to beach snorkeling locations. Check the Bonair forum I got a TON of information there. St. Kitt's I honestly have no idea about, haven't been there yet! Sorry I can't be of more help!!

The puffer was in Belize at Shark Ray Alley. I wanted to put a leash on him and take him home, he was awesome (kidding OF COURSE)! I can honestly say that was one of the most amazing days of my life. We booked a private tour with Tsunami Adventures, and I will never ever forget it. I saw my first spotted eagle ray which was gorgeous, and I was dying to see one. We had dolphins ride the bow of our boat all the way back to port. I had the most amazing authentic island food I have ever had, and our tour guide was out of this world. He knew I had my underwater camera, and was constantly pulling me up front to make sure I got pictures of everything, and if I missed, he would find something else for me to get pictures of. He explained what everything was etc. When he realized I swim well (former swimmer), he would take me down to see the things that not everyone could get to. It was freakin awesome! Highly recommended if you ever go western carib!

Roatan too was beyond words! :)

My son bought the Olympus Stylus 770 SW this past summer. He absolutely loves it. It even takes great short videos. He and my husband did some dredging for gold and you should see the pictures and videos. We can't wait to take pictures of our up coming cruise.:D

• 2 weeks later...
I saw that Host Star just returned from her cruise with her new 770 ... anyone else out there have any more/new experience with this camera to share?

I took great photos in roatan snorkeling!!.. but when i tried to upload them here they came out the size of a postage stamp:(...if you click on my profile you can see a small pic as my avatar... altho its not showing up under my Host screen name :(

I took great photos in roatan snorkeling!!.. but when i tried to upload them here they came out the size of a postage stamp:(...if you click on my profile you can see a small pic as my avatar... altho its not showing up under my Host screen name :(

You should upload them to an online photosite (Webshots.com or photobucket.com, etc...), then insert the picture as a linked picture (click on yellow box with mountain "insert image")- you'll then be able to display the picture in its original size.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 720SW when it came out. Actually, I had to get it in Canada because it was not yet for sale in the US. This camera has been in Alaska and dropped on a glacier, as well as snorkling and diving in the southern carribean and in Florida. All I have ever done is rinse it off with bottled water. The camera is fantastic! The 770SW is newer so I would not hesitate to buy it. A word of advice...check prices online by doing a Google search. There is an Olympus dealer on EBAY. There prices are great!

Have fun and enjoy!

I bought the 720SW on the Constellation a few weeks back. I was passing by the photo lab and saw it setting on a table. It was a spur of the moment screaming you need me. You need to buy me type thing. I wasn't looking for a camera at all.

I'm glad to see this urge was a good move!

Ok, so Olympus finally got back with me. The waterproofing replacement cost is $165.85. Hmm. Just an FYI about this cool little camera.

Ok, I'm not so sure I'd purchase this camera. If they are saying you need to do the waterproofing replacement annually @ $166, that's nuts. You can get a housing for $300 or less for these point/shoot cameras and spend less money. Is there maintenance for the housing? Of course, but not $166 annually worth. I rinse it after use and make sure the O-ring is lubed. I don't pay any annual fee to maintain the camera. The lube comes with the housing. If you take care of it right, it's low maintenance. Personally, I think this is a rip off of making you pay this fee each year. It sounds like a great camera but it's the annual maintenance I have an issue with. I have the Olympus Stylus 600 and love it... But I use a housing.......Just my 2 cents worth

Had mine for just over a year and never sent it out for maitenence. Just take REALLY good care of it. Washing it out keeping the o-rings clean and in proper condition.

However, we did purchase a warranty from Best Buy with it. So I am not too worried should something go wrong.

I've never had a problem with best buy warranties (believe me I've busted my fair share of electronics, and usually through my own stupidity oops!), and if something does happen related to not having the rings replaced etc and they don't honor it, oh well... that's my problem since I didn't listen :). If I feel the maitinence is necessary of course I will do it. But if everything is in good condition and the seals are not cracked or dried out, no sense in spending the $ every year. I think it's slightly absurd. A risk I, personally, am willing to take, it's not like I spent a fortune on the camera. :)

I have been following this thread with great intrest..but the maintenance is turning me off a bit...quite a bit.:eek:

We used disposable cameras on our last cruise, and as far as snorkeling goes (and that is all we do) we were quite pleased with our results.

Suba..of course I realize "not"..and there is no video, but for snorkeling photos.... maybe???:rolleyes:

Cokibeachunderwater.jpg

Archived