Help me I want to defect...

We have cruised on Princess and loved it (our latest was Caribbean Princess) but since the birth of our 3rd child, 5 weeks ago, it has put a crimp in our cruise plans as most lines only let you have 4 to a cabin.

I was overjoyed to hear that Carnival offers some ships that have cabin that hold 5 (and I am NOT a cruising snob unwilling to cruise other lines and I do not bash), here is my dilema,

Having cruised on the newer Princess ships, I am concerned that my husband will not enjoy an older/smaller ship and will be expecting something similar to our previous cruise, so I was hoping to get some advice on:

1. Is there a ship comparable to what we have already sailed on?

2. Do they leave out of Port Can, Port Everglade or Miami?

3. Has anyone stayed 5 to a cabin (please keep in mind that we have 3 children under the age of 8)?

4. Were you happy with the kids club?

and lastly any advice for a defecting Princess cruiser?

Thanks,

Only problem with your plan of 5 is the new Carnival ships are limited to a max of 4 per room.

If you must have your heart set on being on a newer ship look at the possibility of getting a connecting room.

Port Canaveral

Carnival Glory

Sensation (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Port Everglades

Depending on date of travel

Non will hold 5 in a room.

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Splendor

Port of Miami

Fascination (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Imagination (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Carnival Destiny (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 1996)

Carnival Triumph (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 1999)

Carnival Victory (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 2000)

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Valor

Added:

Best bet if you are willing to have connecting rooms would be a ship from the Conquest Class or Splendor Class. I would think this would the closest match the newer Princess Ships.

We have cruised on Princess and loved it (our latest was Caribbean Princess) but since the birth of our 3rd child, 5 weeks ago, it has put a crimp in our cruise plans as most lines only let you have 4 to a cabin.

I was overjoyed to hear that Carnival offers some ships that have cabin that hold 5 (and I am NOT a cruising snob unwilling to cruise other lines and I do not bash), here is my dilema,

Having cruised on the newer Princess ships, I am concerned that my husband will not enjoy an older/smaller ship and will be expecting something similar to our previous cruise, so I was hoping to get some advice on:

3. Has anyone stayed 5 to a cabin (please keep in mind that we have 3 children under the age of 8)?

Thanks,

Other than booking a suite, you may consider leaving baby with grandma? You don't see too many infants onboard. Carribean Princess offers so much more to do, better food, more pools, that you will notice the difference. We certainly did and we are not cruise snobs. :D

Only problem with your plan of 5 is the new Carnival ships are limited to a max of 4 per room.

If you must have your heart set on being on a newer ship look at the possibility of getting a connecting room.

Port Canaveral

Carnival Glory

Sensation (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Port Everglades

Non will hold 5 in a room.

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Splendor

Port of Miami

Fascination (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Imagination (Will hold 5 but is an older ship)

Carnival Destiny (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 1996)

Carnival Triumph (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 1999)

Carnival Victory (Will hold 5 but is an older ship, 2000)

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Valor

Added:

Best bet if you are willing to have connecting rooms would be a ship from the Conquest Class or Splendor Class. I would think this would the closest match the newer Princess Ships.

I dont know much about the different classes but I know the ones with "one name" are going through a dry dock period and upgrading facilites. We go on the Imagination in December this is what I found on the upgrades they are doing:

While in dry dock, the hulls of the ships will be repainted with the new names. The major enhancements include the addition of children's water parks, new features in the pool areas, and an adults-only deck area. The ships will also receive new stateroom bathrooms, remodeled cabins with flat-screen TVs, atrium lobby bars, coffee bars, mini-golf courses, New York-style delis in the Lido restaurants, and conference facilities.

While this is a smaller class of ships than your last Princess cruises, it sounds likey they are adding some exciting items to the list of ships that will hold 5 people per room.

Actually, yes, I think its any ship built before 1997 you can have 5 to a cabin. That being said that means its only on the older ships that were grandfathered in that you can have 5, not the newer ones with bigger OVs for instance.

The people telling you that you cant have 5 to a cabin are correct on the newer built ships.

I loved the Caribbean Princess. I really think it was my favorite ship. We had a forward looking cabin on the Lido deck where you woke up and the new port the ship pulled into was spread across the horizen. Loved that cabin.

I would do a newer ship and get two cabins if you want something comparable or a newer Royal Caribbean ship. The older ships the regular cabins are too small. Some of the newer RCI ships are also terriffic and beautiful. Carnival has the best mattresses and pizza imo. And food around the clock.

Also, the longer Carnival cruises have less of the party crowd if you want something akin to Princess.

Did the Caribbean Princess last year. Where to start?

Well, I'll give an opposing view on the food. Food tends to be better on Carnival, at least it is cooked better. I had never been disappointed in the dining room fare until last year. Service levels in the dining rooms are comparable.

I think your husband might like the ship board activities on Carnival, since the average age on Princess tends to be higher and I thought the Princess ships seem much quieter in the evenings as compared to Carnival. (Which could be a plus if you are trying to get the kids to sleep!)

As far as 5 to a room, the older Carnival ships would not compare to the larger Princess ships. However, they are doing some major upgrades on the Fantasy class which the kids should really enjoy.:cool:

Get the best of all worlds:

Go Carnival, on a Spirit class ship, get a balcony room, with a connecting inside room for the kiddies, which will also net you two bathrooms!

:) :) :)

I agree- Legend, Miracle (the pride and SPirit dont leave from your requested ports) have a balcony cabin that attaches to an inside cabin.

check out the deck plans. look at the area around 5108 / 5106 (on the other side of the ship and on each deck above.

On deck 5 this is conveniently located to the kids club. Kids MUST be 2 years old by sailing to particiapate. (so your baby will not be using it except for after 10pm for a fee)

other older ships hold 5 people. We did an inside with 5 of us (me, 19,17,15 & 13) very doable since it saved us over 700. for the week.

Thanks,

Hate to say this on the Carnival board, but...in your particular situation, I'd go on the Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral in a Family Oceanview. The Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas have family oceanviews, as well as a Family inside (even a family promenade view) that would be an alternative out of Miami. The rooms are 300 square feet and sleep 6. DH wouldn't have to give up any of the size or amenities.

Many of the newer Princess ships have family suites that hold 5 or more, but there are only a couple per ship. You need to get them early. Another option would be to see if any of the ships have adjoining cabins--2 cabins that have a door between them.

Hate to say this on the Carnival board' date=' but...in your particular situation, I'd go on the Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral in a Family Oceanview. The Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas have family oceanviews, as well as a Family inside (even a family promenade view) that would be an alternative out of Miami. The rooms are 300 square feet and sleep 6. DH wouldn't have to give up any of the size or amenities.[/quote']

when comparing prices though for two cabins vs these family staterooms- dont they cost a lot more money per day then getting two cabins or putting all 5 in one cabin??

when comparing prices though for two cabins vs these family staterooms- dont they cost a lot more money per day then getting two cabins or putting all 5 in one cabin??

It depends. When we had one booked, the Family Inside with Promenade view was about the same as a regular oceanview room. Last time we were looking at prices, the family inside was more than a balcony room, and almost as much as adjoining insides.

Personally, I dislike Princess. We have sailed on Princess twice and after all of the hype, about it being a "step above", we were disappointed on both cruises. We also found the food to be less than wonderful and the staff just not as friendly as those found on Carnival.

As to the rooms, and PLEASE understand I could be very wrong here, when I last booked a cruise for our daughter (who was a single mother of 4....married now) I vaguely remember being told that if the child was under three that a family cabin (cat. 6E), on the Conquest class, could have a crib added to it which would bring the occupancy up to five. However it all became a moot point when she became pregnant again and decided she wanted to remarry. I wish I could verify that today but my PVP is not in on Saturdays. However it might be something worth checking on. If not, I suggest adjoining inside cabins.

As far as the children's programs are concerned, Camp Carnival is outstanding. They, consistently, have one of the highest ratings in the industry. Our grandchildren (we now have five....that girl needs to learn how that happens) love all of the activities. Our two grand daughters, once they got over the bloody temper tantrums....YES those were my screaming grandchilren, I am so sorry.....didn't want to come back to the family. They counselors are terrific and they keep the kids very occupied. Our eldest grandson (who will be old enough to attend the "teen club" on our next cruise) enjoyed everything as well....but he likes to eat with the adults so didn't pitch a fit when it was time to get ready for dinner. You are given a beeper, just in case....but I have rarely heard of anyone being paged.

I think you would truly enjoy Carnival, as someone else has said the beds are to die for, the food is excellent, the service is great, there are activities for all age groups (we're in our fifties and don't find anything too "over the top") and it is a VERY affordable vacation.

I have sailed the Ecstasy, and Elation with 5 to a cabin. All of my children were younger and we did not have any problem at all. There was plenty of room in the room and one bathroom for us was not a problem. Again, my children were younger. We are booked on the Triumph out of Miami in January and we have our family of 5 in one cabin.

We have also sailed Conquest and brought my DB along. I had to put 4 in one cabin and two in the other. All five of my family still slept in one cabin and my lucky brother got a room all to himself. We did have the luxury of using his bathroom but I cannot say that it was that big of a deal. I think we may have needed it once or twice the whole week.

We never used the camp carnival program although I did do my research on it and would not hesitate to do so. The programs they had looked like lots of fun and they were always well organized and supervised.

Hate to say this on the Carnival board' date=' but...in your particular situation, I'd go on the Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral in a Family Oceanview. The Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas have family oceanviews, as well as a Family inside (even a family promenade view) that would be an alternative out of Miami. The rooms are 300 square feet and sleep 6. DH wouldn't have to give up any of the size or amenities.[/quote']

I don't know anything about the different class ships... all I know is my husband books em and I sail em. lol. But... we have done 5 in a room on Celebration and it was crowded, but do-able. Of course I understand that you want to avoid the older ships.

As for the Mariner of the Seas, we had really nice connecting rooms with a view of the Promenade. I liked the connecting rooms alot. I liked the Promenade view alot. The thing I didn't like was the live music directly underneath until 2am. So, if you get a Promenade view connecting room make sure you check out the deck plans and don't accept a room over the lounge. ;)

Thanks,

I think RCL has cabins that require a min of 5 people.

It's on their site but no price . Need to book direct or thru a TA.

We are booked on the Triumph out of Miami in January and we have our family of 5 in one cabin.

Thanks everyone for your help.

DreDay I would LOVE to hear your thoughts about your crusie and cabin after you sail....

I guess we have more options opened now and I will have to do more research before we decide.

Thanks again

You may want to also consider, if you sail on a Fantasy class ship such as the Sensation out of Pt. Canaveral, a Category 12 (suite). Having 5 in a larger cabin such as this will be a big plus. The couch folds out into a bed, and they can also bring in a roll-away if desired.

On many of the Fantasy class ships, these have been renovated.

Here are a few pictures of a Cat 12 cabin on the Sensation:

92580279-M.jpg

92580280-M.jpg

92580281-M.jpg

Just something else to consider!!!

Tom

Thanks everyone for your help.

DreDay I would LOVE to hear your thoughts about your crusie and cabin after you sail....

I guess we have more options opened now and I will have to do more research before we decide.

Thanks again

No problem!! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you too!!

Archived