Ideas for Corfu

I'll be interested in the reply's you get for Corfu. We were there in July 2006 and just took a taxi from the port - to downtown (about 2 miles or so) had a drink at one of the outdoor cafe's of which there are many and took our time walked back and just enjoyed the scenery. It was blazing hot. There were quite a few who rented cars and said scenery was wonderful. This was not one of my favorite cruise ports so I'll be anxious to see if anyone out there has suggestions - we're going back to the Med in June and this is one of our stops. May just go to the beach...

Renting a car is definitely the way to go on Corfu--we used Sunrise and were very pleased. I didn't see much "spectacular" stuff, but the beaches at Paleokastritsa were nice, the surroundings (especially up the hill to the monastery) were beautiful, and there were a couple of decent-looking restaurants (we picniced).

Les

You really do want to rent a car and go to Paleokastritsa. The scenery there is spectacular. Corfu was one of our favorite Greek Islands, other that Santorini. It's the only green island. The rest are very dry. The cove near the monastery is quite beautiful. We were on a tour with Princess and went to the monastery and then to The Grey Fox Restaurant at the top of the mountain. Beautiful scenery. WE returned to the city and had a glass of wine and walked around a bit.

My DW and I will be in Corfu next October from 8AM to 8PM on our anniversary and I'd like to arrange something spectacular there (if something spectacular is available). Any ideas? Thanks.

We spent a couple of nights on Corfu during our honeymoon back in 1981...then visited again as a port stop on the Millennium in 2003...

It's a great little island...a lot of the scenery around the island is enchanting...The Achilleion Palace is worth a visit...the town of Kerkira (Corfu Town) itself is quite nice with narrow, interesting streets...There are two old fortresses on either side of the old town that are worth a "wander"...

We watched th Sunset from Pelekas one night...but, if your ship leaves at 8:00, that would be cutting it close...

Actually, one of my favorite restaurant experiences is here in Corfu--We discovered it on our honeymoon and revisited 22 years later--and had the same waiter!

The place is called, believe it or not, "Pizza Pete's"...on Arseniou St...There are actually two restaurants, side-by-side and the other has a Greek name--something with an E if I recall correctly...They are actually the same folks and run out of the same kitchen...If you were facing the old town from the harbor, you would find this just up the road to your left a couple of hundred yards, on the cliffs overlooking the Adriatic...The kitchen is on the "inland" side of the street, the tables on patio on the cliffs on the "sea" side of the street...The waiters literally run across the highway carrying trays of food...

Get a table right along the railing over the cliffs...The view is incredible...And the waiters throw the leftover bread over the railing and the fish put on quite a show fighting over the scraps...

Have fun...

We just visited Corfu for a day off our ship. We were going to rent a car but met a great taxi driver: Sam Taxi Service (mobile # 694 436 8955) He spoke great English and we were sold by his personality. He took us to all the places we requested plus more. We had him the entire day 9 to 4. We paid him 250e because he we so good. He did a greek dance, sang and told us many interesting facts about Corfu & the culture that we would never have experienced on our own. He was definately worth the money and I would highly recommend him. We went to Ipsos, Kassiopi and Paleokastritsa and some fun lookouts and restuarants. Also he took us to a purse store where the guy made all of the purses himself. Very nice... Great day on Corfu!

I e-mailed Sunrise Rental and they have been incredibly responsive. We will be there in November on Splendour and contacted them by e-mail and they are even meeting us right after we get off the ship.

Website is: http://www.corfusunrise.com

Several on the boards have mentioned how great there were. Prices are very reasonable. Good luck!

Renting a car is definitely the way to go on Corfu--we used Sunrise and were very pleased. I didn't see much "spectacular" stuff, but the beaches at Paleokastritsa were nice, the surroundings (especially up the hill to the monastery) were beautiful, and there were a couple of decent-looking restaurants (we picniced).

Les

We booked a van that holds 6 for 60 Euros for the first week of November.

When we were in Corfu a couple years ago we took the morning hydrofoil across to Sarande, Albania and spent a few hours wandering around there. Although we did not go, others took a taxi to the Butrint (not sure of spelling) world heritage site. (ancient Greek ruins) Just be sure you know the departure times of the return hydrofoils before you leave Corfu. Also be aware that even though Albania is east of Corfu, it is one hour earlier than Corfu which is on Greek (Eastern European) time.

BobK/Orlando

Archived