Tabacon Resort Hot Springs

southwardbound

• 2 months later...
Can anyone tell me if this is close enough to the Limon port that it is feasible to go here for the day? We will only be in port from 7am to 3pm.

No, I don't think it is close enough to Puerto Limon. It is offered as an excurision from Puntarenas, which is on the other side of the country from Limon and still a 2 &1/2 hour drive. We are thinking about it.

This board is all fouled up. People don't seem to realize that there are 2 ports...on either side of the country. It almost needs to be excursions EAST/WEST. We are trying to plan West Coast excursions, and people are helpful but confused.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been on the Tabacon Resort Hot Springs tour recently? DH and I are booked for this tour on the Island Princess next month and I don't know how popular a tour it is, but it sounds really great even though it is a long bus ride to the resort. At least we will get to see some of the countryside on the bus ride.

Warm regards,

Arlene

Our cruise isn't until April....can you please let us know how it was?:D It does sound great. Are you porting on the West or East side? Because we are curious about travel time too. Thanks!:)

We are porting in Puntarenas. I have no clue if it is on the West or East side.

Regards,

Arlene

The link doesn't work. And I give up. Thanks though. :) Limon in the name would sort of make me think that it is from Puerto Limon as opposed to the west side of the country. Do they have tours from both ports? The Hot Springs are in the middle of the country....but we are looking for WEST coast tours. :rolleyes:

Try http://www.coachcostarica.com. We are flying into San Jose and using them for guided tours pre cruise and post cruise. They will be taking us to Puerto Caldera(Pacific side) to board our Windstar cruise and meeting us when we disembark to take us back to San Jose. They will pretty much take you where you want to go as long as it is feasible time wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a line about Tabacon Hot Springs in La Fortuna, Costa Rica. I was there a few years ago and loved it. We were on a 10 bus tour of Costa Rica and this was one of my FAVORITE stops. We were there in the evening and it was very romantic and relaxing. As I remember it there were several "natural pools" - one being a little hotter than the next, there were also rocks carved into lounge chairs that were under small waterfalls, several other areas with waterfalls and a swim up bar located next to a waterslide. It was really an amazing place to be and the volcano actually erupted while we were there. I'm sure that you will love it! I know it was amazing at night - not sure how it is in the daytime.

Have Fun!

Can anyone tell me if this is a Princess tour and if so what is the whole name of the excursion if it is from Puntarenas. I don't recognize this as being listed for our Island cruise to that port. Perhaps I missed it in the shore excursion list. I'll go back and look.

From Puntarenas: Just did some further research. Don't know how I missed it, but I obviously overlooked this excursion on our list, but tonight I found the tour to this resort listed by Princess as "Arenal Volcano & Tabacon Resort Hot Springs" for our April '08 Island Princess port call in Puntarenas. This excursion is listed to be from 10 to 10.5 hours!

I also googled the resort name and came up with lots of links for this resort including links to Trip Advisor comments. Most everyone seemed pleased with the Hot Springs but some people who stayed there were not too happy with the hotel itself.

Hope this information helps someone. I surely agree with #2 post above. It has been very frustrating doing research here when only the country is listed and not the exact port. Happy cruising to all!

Bus travel, any travel for that matter, is VERY slow in CR once off the highway. So from the coast to Arenal/Tabacon is not far just slow and tedious. Trust me more time will be spent on the bus than at the sights. I stayed at Arenal and the volcano is great if it is clear and the town around it is interesting enough. I found Tabacon very commercial and I can't imagine having much time to try to get into the springs, if there is any space with all that will likely go from the boat combined with everyone that flocks the place.

Notice the tour description doesn't mention how long the drive is but all the others do????

In looking at the options here is what I would consider:

Jewels Of The Monteverde Cloud Forest With Lunch though you won;t see much widelife teh forest is incredible

Manuel Antonio National Park & Beach With Lunch still a drive but a great park with good swimming and a honky tonk town to stroll. I would stroll the park unguided or with a hired local for the CLIFF NOTES version in order to get back to the beach!!! Rainforest hits the ocean one of my favorite places. Maybe jump a cab and head up the street to the finest coffee shop I have ever been to CAFE MILARGO just a mile up the road!

Eco-Jungle River Adventure relaxing and you never know what you wil see

Corobici River-Raft Float With Lunch

very enjoyable float down the river.

Just some thoughts from a guy that has spent about a month there.

Well worth the 11 hour drive in my opinion!!! We did this excursion on Island Princess in January 08 and loved it. The scenery was wonderful. Our bus did stop half way there at a shop & cafe. We had 2 hours to enjoy the 12 hot pools & swimming pool (didnt us the regular pool, couldn't pull myself out of the hot pools :)) and then enjoyed a wonderful buffet lunch. The same went for the ride back to the ship...a stop along the way. My hubby & I thouroughly enjoyed the resort and are even planning on making a trip to it on our own some day. We loved Costa Rica!!!

Annetta

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2&1/2 to 3 hours each way from Puntarenas. I have not seen the roads on the west side. But they are winding and potholed on the East Side of the country. We decided not to do the Hot Springs on this trip, we are doing the Skywalk bridges at Villa Lapas instead. Too much bus time, and we decided, better suited for a land cruise. :D

Archived