1st time cruiser/poster - Princess Caribbean questions

max44

Hi Everyone,:D

1st time posting so please be kind, Well ive almost gone and done it booked my 1st cruise that is, but im still a bit worried about it. Hubby and myself are really not very good at sea and always seem to be the first to get seasick really wouldnt like this to spoil our cruise but were willing to chance it, so my question is weve been offered a few cabin to chose from on the Caribbean Princess going out of Fort Lauderdale and around the caribbean in april 08 can you please advise to which you might think the better ones would be for motion and noise

Riviera deck 10 #R509

Baja deck 11 #B605 or #B631

Caribe deck10 #C433

All come with a balcony, is it bigger on some decks or are they all mostly the same size.

Also will be coming to FL from South Beach miami what would be the easier way to get there? maybe hire car, taxi,

Thanks for your opinions looking forward to reading them

in general terms, you should pick cabins on lower decks, and cabins that are more in mid-ships.....stay away from cabins closer to the bow or stern......

mid-ships, as low are possible will find less movement than other locations

pick C344.....less movement and larger balcony (partially open from above)

We were on the CB for the 9/23 cruise and stayed in Baja B641 - one advantage is the balcony is completely covered, no one is looking down on you. The ship itself is very stable, very little motion but you might want to consider getting a patch or at least bringing over the counter medication to avoid getting sea sick. Lower decks and mid ship seem to be better locations to avoid a lot of motion.

Since we too live in FL, we drive over and park in the lot right at the port. I believe the cost was $12.00 per day, but it sure was nice to get off the ship and have DH pick me up and be on our way!:D

Thankyou all so much for your quick replys,

Heres another question for you, ive looked through a few post and seen the phrase AFT what does it mean? ive tried to work it out but ive no idea :confused:

Sorry if its a stupid question, told you i was a 1st timer :o

:D

Thankyou all so much for your quick replys,

Heres another question for you, ive looked through a few post and seen the phrase AFT what does it mean? ive tried to work it out but ive no idea :confused:

Sorry if its a stupid question, told you i was a 1st timer :o

Aft is toward the rear or back of the ship....

No apology needed....we all have to learn!:D

I know your thread didn't ask about sea sickness 'cures' but I thought I would share what I have found. On my first cruise I was very ill the first few days and then took Gravol (in the US I believe its Dramamine). It worked but made me very 'out of it'. The next cruise I took Ginger pills (as recommended by people on this board) and felt perfectly fine. I started taking them the day before we boarded the ship and and took them every morning and evening and never once felt ill (well, maybe after too many margaritas in Mexico, but thats a whole different story). It may have been a coincidence and I developed sea legs, but this cruise I am not taking any chances and will do the same thing.

. Hubby and myself are really not very good at sea and always seem to be the first to get seasick really wouldnt like this to spoil our cruise but were willing to chance it,

Just curious-- not bashing. If you are planning your first cruise how do you know that you and Hubby are not good at sea?

(Do you get motion sickness in cars or amusment rides?)

I know its whole different thing but have sailed on a few boats from the Isle of wight ferry (in the UK), big ferry across from Belgium to UK, a couple of smaller type ferry's around the Greek Isles (just to get from island to another) but think may have been the smell of the diesel that made us feel ill. brother-in-laws small yacht in New Zealand (broke down in the middle of the Hauraki Gulf OMG):eek: , However did do a Whale Whatching tour in Boston a couple of years ago and we both were ok with that.

These were all a few hours or a full day but no overnight and certainly not for a week.;)

Hi Everyone,:D

1st time posting so please be kind, Well ive almost gone and done it booked my 1st cruise that is, but im still a bit worried about it. Hubby and myself are really not very good at sea and always seem to be the first to get seasick really wouldnt like this to spoil our cruise but were willing to chance it, so my question is weve been offered a few cabin to chose from on the Caribbean Princess going out of Fort Lauderdale and around the caribbean in april 08 can you please advise to which you might think the better ones would be for motion and noise

Riviera deck 10 #R509

Baja deck 11 #B605 or #B631

Caribe deck10 #C433

All come with a balcony, is it bigger on some decks or are they all mostly the same size.

Also will be coming to FL from South Beach miami what would be the easier way to get there? maybe hire car, taxi,

Thanks for your opinions looking forward to reading them

I have always gotten sick on boats and also car sick but have NEVER gotten sick on a cruise (10 and counting) It is totally different, it's like being in a big floating hotel. Try the ginger or less drowsy dramamine, but take it the day your getting on the ship and continue to take it. If there is bad weather sometimes there is nothing you can do but you should be fine.

One warning-you will become hooked!!

I have always gotten sick on boats and also car sick but have NEVER gotten sick on a cruise (10 and counting) It is totally different, it's like being in a big floating hotel. Try the ginger or less drowsy dramamine, but take it the day your getting on the ship and continue to take it. If there is bad weather sometimes there is nothing you can do but you should be fine.

One warning-you will become hooked!!

I am the same, get terrible motion sickness on most boats and car sick all my life. But not on a cruise, and last week we had a sea day that was rougher than what I had on my first cruise (Alaska, not rough at all). The ships are huge and have stabilizers, and if you were OK on the whale watching, you should be fine on the cruise. There are lots of options if you want to use something to be sure (Bonine/meclizine, sea bands, ginger pills, etc.). Might want to do that the first day (before you board, maybe the night before) just to put yourself at ease...and if you feel fine, don't bother after that? That is what hubby did last week for his first cruise.

My vote is for the mid-ship Caribe, out of the 3 options you presented. BTW, some have commented about a lot of overhead noise (deck chairs, other crew activity in the middle of the night) in the Riviera deck rooms. Just thought I'd mention.

I also would book the Caribe in a minute! Definitely the best as it is midship and the balconies on that deck are the biggest in that category.

My son is the queasy type and sometimes gets sick to his stomach in the car. He did fine on the cruise ship. We took meclazine (generic bonine) with us and also ginger pills (purchased at Walmart). We also found some ginger candy. No one in our family was sick the whole week.

Search on this site and you will get tons of info on seasickness meds. Then you can decide which remedies to take with you.

Thankyou all so much for your replys, and so quick too :)

I will certainly look to get some ginger pills (1st stop walmart) and then somthing less drousy. Seems a little silly just to leave it to chance that you wont get sick when there something so simple to take.

I just had to add my vote for C433. You will really enjoy the balcony size and the extra balc furniture. I don't think you have to worry too about seasickness. The cb is a large ship and even in rougher seas does not have much movement.

The cb is a great choice for your first cruise...Have a wonderful time!

Okay, I guess that's a good thing:confused: We did the Caribbean Princess in Aug 04 had this cabin through a hurricane (Eastern) and never felt a thing other than a gentle rocking motion, and then the second time in less than a year Jun 05--Western (yeah weird, same cabin!) earliest hurricane on record (I think?) same thing, just a gentle rocking motion. I would say this is an excellent cabin choice.

Loved the big balcony, half-covered, half-exposed. The balcony had 2 chairs and a table that was at dining height and two loungers with a small table for drinks :D Look for my initials carved in the railing (just kidding:D)

Anyway, if you can get this cabin--go for it!

Happy cruising!

VB1

I am the same, get terrible motion sickness on most boats and car sick all my life. But not on a cruise, and last week we had a sea day that was rougher than what I had on my first cruise (Alaska, not rough at all). The ships are huge and have stabilizers, and if you were OK on the whale watching, you should be fine on the cruise. There are lots of options if you want to use something to be sure (Bonine/meclizine, sea bands, ginger pills, etc.). Might want to do that the first day (before you board, maybe the night before) just to put yourself at ease...and if you feel fine, don't bother after that? That is what hubby did last week for his first cruise.

My vote is for the mid-ship Caribe, out of the 3 options you presented. BTW, some have commented about a lot of overhead noise (deck chairs, other crew activity in the middle of the night) in the Riviera deck rooms. Just thought I'd mention.

I have a couple of DD's that get seasick quite easily. We've tried them all --- Dramamine, Meclizine, bands, Bonine, etc. --- except Scopolomine (too many awful side effects). The ginger tablets work the best, by far. DD's start taking them about three days before sailing and continue daily for about three days after. Even if the seas are calm and they think they'll be fine, they take the ginger.

I have a couple of DD's that get seasick quite easily. We've tried them all --- Dramamine, Meclizine, bands, Bonine, etc. --- except Scopolomine (too many awful side effects). The ginger tablets work the best, by far. DD's start taking them about three days before sailing and continue daily for about three days after. Even if the seas are calm and they think they'll be fine, they take the ginger.

I was only saying that you can "choose" not to take after the first day, it's personal preference. I haven't tried ginger, no need, as I've been fine both cruises. My husband took the one Bonine the AM of the cruise departure and felt he didn't need anything after that, and he was fine. That is just him, and surely some can't do that or would not want to chance it. Even if it's just for peace of mind, I can see why some would want to continue. I still can't believe I am OK on the ship, because I can get it really bad in cars, on rides, and 100% on boats.

Archived