2005 Itinerary

gr8twocruz

The World has published her 2005 itinerary and there are some pretty great ones. As examples there is a voyage you take take from July 4 - 18 from Lisbon to London. Another really wonderful one is in late August and has five days calling in the Arctic! In September, she sails from Iceland to Canada with five days exploring Greenland. I have enjoyed this ship; especially the food in four great restaurants and the tranquility onboard. It is definitely subdued elegance, not for lovers of trivia playing or bingo!

We're thinking of sailing The World Thanksgiving 2005 mostly because we can embark at Port Canaveral and disembark at Palm Beach - easy locations to get to from the West Coast. Most of the time is spent in Naussau. I've never been to the Bahamas but my impression is that Nassau is a bit commercialized and over-developed. Will we be bored? I already know we'll be bored onboard!

The reason I would consider the cruise is that I have access to a 2 bedroom apartment and we were also looking for something to do during Thanksgiving break. We do love tropical climates. It could be relaxing, if nothing else and my son loves the ship because there's a Playstation in the cabin and the captain will give him a tour of the bridge. I would be interested to know if there's anything interesting to do in Nassau and if there are any nice quiet beaches or is the island too crowded?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Residensea website seems to have put its itinerary into a "members only" section. Is there any way to obtain a copy of the itinerary? My wife and I enjoyed The World for a month in 2003.

-Don in Sacramento

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link, Don. I am curious to know if the World often has "Captain's Choice" as a destination, or if that is because of the tsunami. I was surprised to see Colombo, Sri Lanka and Phuket still listed as ports of call, for the same reason. So many beaches/channels have changed, I'm wondering if they will be able to dock there - or do they normally just tender?

I spoke to Residensea yesterday and they said they were evaluating the Indian Ocean ports and will probably be making some changes. Captain's choices have always been sprinkled throughout the itinerary - also, when a date is not listed then it's a sea day but occasionally the Captain may choose to call on an unlisted port.

BTW, the '06 itinerary is supposed to be out in March - 4 months earlier than last year! They think they'll be planning further and further out and will be able to announce new itineraries earlier in the year.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Prices are on the website - I think they're in the 1800 - 2500 per night range. Do you have to be wealthy? No. I've found that if you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to achieve it. I'm sure there is a certain socio-economic group that generally sails The World but if it's a priority and you want to save up your lunch money until you can afford it, then go for it!

Prices are per night for TWO including food and gratuities as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages! Prices start at $1100 per night for two people all inclusive. (Prices vary due to season and you must stay a minimum of six nights. Go far it.

Richard

Specialty Cruise

Archived