Park and Cruise Charleston

christau

checking the thread out for some buddies of ours

we have used the wifes handicap placard in Charleston quite a few times on the majesty and fantasy

too bad jax doesn't extend the same courtesy

looks like the wingate still does a park and ride but its not listed on their booking site, Im looking for friends of ours daughter that's going on a honeymoon cruise in a couple months I think its one of the 7 day eastern cruises to grand turk the fantasy does

so any suggestions on a hotel stay and parking and shuttle ( even if its a fee ) will be cool - however, they could always call a cab?

ken

checking the thread out for some buddies of ours

we have used the wifes handicap placard in Charleston quite a few times on the majesty and fantasy

too bad jax doesn't extend the same courtesy

looks like the wingate still does a park and ride but its not listed on their booking site, Im looking for friends of ours daughter that's going on a honeymoon cruise in a couple months I think its one of the 7 day eastern cruises to grand turk the fantasy does

so any suggestions on a hotel stay and parking and shuttle ( even if its a fee ) will be cool - however, they could always call a cab?

ken

Here's the link to the Convention & Visitors Bureau stay/cruise package page. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/

That's the best place to find what you're looking for.

I have decided to create a park and cruise folder in my favs.

we have never done P&K but it seems to be a constant conversation on many of the cruise threads for our cruises, so Ill just add and update the cities as we cruise and be able to copy the wesites over to CC later on;)

• 11 months later...
I don't have an updated list, but we're staying at Mainstay Suites in Mount Pleasant. It was $120 for 2 queen beds. No breakfast (I'd rather eat at Cracker Barrel anyway) and you can catch an Uber to port.

Are you doing a park & cruise package or are you getting a regular room and they'll let you leave your car?

Many times a hotel raises the price for the "free" parking package that actually winds up being more with transportation than the regular room rate and parking at the port for a short five day cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Are you doing a park & cruise package or are you getting a regular room and they'll let you leave your car?

Many times a hotel raises the price for the "free" parking package that actually winds up being more with transportation than the regular room rate and parking at the port for a short five day cruise.

We are getting a regular room and they're letting us leave the car there free for the week. We booked the hotel through one of the hotel booking websites. Then called the hotel to ask about the parking and they said we could leave the car there free for the week. ($120 a night for 2 queen beds isn't a bad price imho). They said they didn't have a shuttle service but we could catch an Uber into port.

I don't have an updated list, but we're staying at Mainstay Suites in Mount Pleasant. It was $120 for 2 queen beds. No breakfast (I'd rather eat at Cracker Barrel anyway) and you can catch an Uber to port.

No offense, but, all the wonderful eating places in Charleston and you want to eat at cracker barrel? :confused:

No offense, but, all the wonderful eating places in Charleston and you want to eat at cracker barrel? :confused:

In comparison to hotel food, yes. But in all fairness, we've never been to Charleston so I really don't know what's around our hotel that's good for breakfast. We'll play it by ear when we get there.

• 7 months later...

Anyone know of the shuttle service the hotels use that offer "park and cruise"? I booked the HIEX on Johnny Dodds Blvd. and we can leave our car there, so I called to find out the price of the shuttle and they said $7pp which is reasonable. When I check their website it says $10-20pp each way which defeats the purpose of free parking. I would consider a car service.....no, I don't want to Uber....or the shuttle but not for $20.

I called to find out the price of the shuttle and they said $7pp which is reasonable. When I check their website it says $10-20pp each way which defeats the purpose of free parking. I would consider a car service.....no, I don't want to Uber....or the shuttle but not for $20.

Just curious... why not Uber? It would be cheaper than paying a per-person fee for a shuttle or car service.

Doesn't Uber charge different rates depending upon volume and available drivers? Couldn't a taxi (at flat rate) or shuttle be less expensive?

Yes, Uber rates can vary, it just sounded like the poster in question had some other reason for avoiding Uber. We use Uber a lot around town and the only time we've found surge pricing or a longer wait was holiday/weekend evenings. Shuttles on the other hand are often a flat rate per person as mentioned above, so if you have several people and are staying downtown or Mt. Pleasant, either of which is a short Uber ride from the port, I'd bet they'd cost more in total than Uber unless it's a free hotel shuttle. And the problem with taxis in this area is that you have to call one on a phone and wait who knows how long for one. I mean, it's not like NYC where you can just hail one passing by.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are cruising out of Charleston this summer. I started calling hotels this afternoon, targeting downtown/Riverview area or Mount Pleasant area near the bridge. After a couple of No's about leaving our car in their lot for the duration of our cruise (the No's were Marriott SpringHill Suites, King Charles Inn) I got a Yes from the Hampton Inn Mount Pleasant Isle of Palms. The gentleman at the front desk was great, he said they have had several people leave cars in a designated longer term park area of their lot while they are on their cruise. The hotel does not take responsibility for the cars parked in that lot, per se, but they are perfectly fine with them being there and have had no problems thereof. He thinks it is about $15-$20 for a family group to Uber from the hotel to the port.

I booked it for two nights at $206 per night, including breakfast. Sounds much better than dealing with a parking mess at the port.

We are cruising out of Charleston this summer. I started calling hotels this afternoon, targeting downtown/Riverview area or Mount Pleasant area near the bridge. After a couple of No's about leaving our car in their lot for the duration of our cruise (the No's were Marriott SpringHill Suites, King Charles Inn) I got a Yes from the Hampton Inn Mount Pleasant Isle of Palms. The gentleman at the front desk was great, he said they have had several people leave cars in a designated longer term park area of their lot while they are on their cruise. The hotel does not take responsibility for the cars parked in that lot, per se, but they are perfectly fine with them being there and have had no problems thereof. He thinks it is about $15-$20 for a family group to Uber from the hotel to the port.

I booked it for two nights at $206 per night, including breakfast. Sounds much better than dealing with a parking mess at the port.

Yea, getting a hotel and Uber are the way to go. You don't have to deal with the traffic nightmare & parking at the port. The Mainstay Suites in Mt. P will let you do that and will save you about $50 a night. ;)

• 2 years later...

Just a little update!!

The Radisson Hotel Charleston Airport is closed! Also, Charleston Harbor Resort no longer has the park, stay, and cruise package. One place you can go, with a great rate, is Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston/West Ashley. Everything is included in their package.