Bar At The End Of The World

OK BOOK IT

Greetings --- Any news on what "The Bar At The End Of The World" looks like on the Infinity these days. I wonder if it is now "User Friendly."

I believe it was called " The Bar at the Edge of the Earth". But, I think it fell off. :rolleyes:

In April of 2007, the 11th deck forward lounge on the Infinity looked like an ordinary place with cocktail tables and chairs. There wasn't a mattress or gauzy drapery anywhere in sight. I agree the 'Bar at the End of Whatever' craze came and went without spreading to the Infinity.

Les

The Connie has some remaining gauzy drape-y stuff around the ceiling that makes it look like it will be the perfect venue for a Halloween party.:)

Great description. I was on the Connie TA and that room seemed totally out of character with the rest of the ship which is decorated much more tastefully. I also was amazed to see bench seats in the very forward part of the room, facing towards the interior of the room instead of the great windows looking out to sea. There seemed to be some signs that they would be doing some renovations of this area and perhaps restoring it to its previous glory.

As of January '06 it still was full of rags and old "beds". What a waste of a great space. We had been on Summit in May '02 before the whole Cirque debacle and had seen the lounge as it was meant to be used. Sure glad that Celebrity listened to the customers and dropped that concept.

Anyone know if the Summit nightclub has been restored?

Regards

No, not yet.

Hopefully, they'll find it ''wise'' to do that while she's in drydock in Europe next spring for the auxiliary diesel install,and ''other maintenance work''.

Cheers

:(

In April of 2007, the 11th deck forward lounge on the Infinity looked like an ordinary place with cocktail tables and chairs. There wasn't a mattress or gauzy drapery anywhere in sight. I agree the 'Bar at the End of Whatever' craze came and went without spreading to the Infinity.

Les

Only Connie & Summit suffered the indignity....

Cheers

:)

No, not yet.

Hopefully, they'll find it ''wise'' to do that while she's in drydock in Europe next spring for the auxiliary diesel install,and ''other maintenance work''.

Cheers

I'd happily put a match to the gauze!

No, not yet.

Cheers

The auxiliary diesel engine was installed this year on the Constellation and, in fact, was tested during this year's transatlantic. They apparently had problems during our cruise since the dining room went dark for several seconds at least two evenings during dinner, and there was a power failure on the last night of the cruise causing, people who had left 7:30am wakeup calls on their telephones to be awakened at 3am. Doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to do the job of redecorating the Bar at the Edge of the Earth while the ship is operating on its regular schedule of cruises.

The auxiliary diesel engine was installed this year on the Constellation and, in fact, was tested during this year's transatlantic. They apparently had problems during our cruise since the dining room went dark for several seconds at least two evenings during dinner, and there was a power failure on the last night of the cruise causing, people who had left 7:30am wakeup calls on their telephones to be awakened at 3am. Doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to do the job of redecorating the Bar at the Edge of the Earth while the ship is operating on its regular schedule of cruises.

Very interesting to hear. We were on the Milli that was cancelled due to hitting rocks in France. We had a power failer the day prior to this and the report was that they were runing tests on the new engine. There was also a power failure shortly before we "drifted" into the rocks. My main concern now is we rebooked for July 10 on Summit and that is shortly after she goes into drydock for the same work. Are we going to have the same problems on her. I am so happy we got my brother and his family to sail again, that was their first cruise. If there were more power outages on this sailing, I think they would run away from cruising and never come back.

Have the windows, at least, been uncovered?

Regards

The windows have been uncovered but as I noted, the bench seats at the front of the room are positioned so that if you sit on them, instead of looking forward, you are facing the interior of the room. Fine, perhaps, when there is a show going on, but worthless if you are there during the day and would like to take in the view ahead of the ship.:rolleyes:

Whether or not the decor is cool is a matter of opinion but I think most everyone will agree that it is quite out of character from the decor throughout the rest of the ship and the contrast is quite jarring when you first encounter it.:)

Whether or not the decor is cool is a matter of opinion but I think most everyone will agree that it is quite out of character from the decor throughout the rest of the ship and the contrast is quite jarring when you first encounter it.:)

That's what I liked. Everything else looked too much the same - so much so that spaces didn't have their own character, and instead blended into one another. I like it that the Bar at The Edge of the Earth is completely distinctive. You certainly can't say that about the martini bar or the Cova cafe on Summit.

"Distinctive" is a good word to describe the lounge. Unfortunately, I heard a lot of other, less complimentary words used to describe the lounge on the Constellation.;) I think the days are numbered for this lounge and its current decor, on both ships.:)

. Doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to do the job of redecorating the Bar at the Edge of the Earth while the ship is operating on its regular schedule of cruises.

Good evening,

Unfortunately, it is a bit more complex....She really has to be out of service for more than a few hours for the deck#11 obs.lounge to be restored to its original shape. There are some structural modifications to walls and ceilings, electrical re-wiring, and a significant furniture '' fixing up''.

There were threads on that topic a few years ago when this Cirque du Soleil ''adventure'' started...and promptly collapsed. Folks tought it would be simple to ''celan the place up''....but no....Some posters with engeneering knowledge explained this much better than I....

Basically, this ''re-conditionning '' requires two different trades, and would be best done when she's next scheduled for and extended drydock anyways, which,in her case, in next April in Europe.

Why didn't Celebrity used the same ''advantage'' to restore Connie's lounge when SHE was in drydock last May....search me...I haven't a clue...

Cheers

:)

"Distinctive" is a good word to describe the lounge. Unfortunately, I heard a lot of other, less complimentary words used to describe the lounge on the Constellation.;) I think the days are numbered for this lounge and its current decor, on both ships.:)

:D WELL SAID

Cheers

As one with some experience on Summit and Constellation before, during and after Cirque de Soleil I say the nightclub venue was vastly underused prior to Cirque implementation. Many times it was vacant or had a scant amount of people during the day or for the Band at night.

That is, daytime and night time. Very few people there. I can see why X experimented with Cirque to try to increase utilization. And, to some extent, it seems to have worked. There is still much discussion about it and interest in the venue now is greater than pre Cirque.

The hanging gauze is acceptable to me also. It is not really affecting the view and makes for a different experience, especially at night.

Now donning flame retardent suit.

Archived