White Pass or Carcross Bus and Rail?

Cruising Bonnie

We will be in Skagway in May 2008 and found several good excursions on the Chilkoot Charters web page. Both tours sound interesting...Carcross Bus and Rail includes Emerald Lake but everyone raves about the White Pass trip.

Has anyone taken the Carcross trip ......too many choices too little time.

Great information on the boards, thanks for all the help!

Cruising Bonnie,

My family and I were in Skagway this past June on RCL's Serenade of the Seas. We actually did BOTH the Chilkoot Bus Tour to Carcross (7 hours) AND the White Pass Railroad trip IN THE SAME DAY! The bus/rail combo was booked so just did the bus. I would highly recommend it. You could see the White Pass train from the road we traveled. On the bus, though, we were able to stop at various spots and take pictures. Emerald Lake was absolutely spectacular! We stopped for lunch at Caribou Crossing which was a really enjoyable stop. We had barbecue chicken lunch in a covered wagon, there were sled dogs and sled rides available (extra cost), and an impressive taxidermy museum of Alaska wildlife. The scenery throughout the entire trip was amazing and we watched a bear in the road for several minutes on the way back before it sauntered back into the woods. Wonderful! When we returned to "downtown" Skagway, we boarded the White Pass Railroad for a 3 hour trip. (sounds crazy, I know, but we didn't know if/when we'd ever get back to Skagway and I think everyone should do the White Pass RR at least once. The trip was also spectacular. We had great weather that day but I've been told not to bother with the Railroad on a cloudy or foggy day because you can't see much. Can't speak to that because we had a sunny day and the views were breathtaking. Honestly, if I had a choice of either the bus trip only or rail only, I'd take the bus (it was actually a mini bus - only 9 of us were on the trip that day). Best of both worlds - bus and rail. You won't be sorry.

Depending on your personal preference, another option is to rent a car from Avis and follow Murray's guide to drive to Emerald Lake. It is a very scenic/easy drive. There are two advantages of doing this: (1)cost saving especially if you have 3-5 people in your party; (2) you can pace yourself, making stops to take pictures whenever you want.

We were supposed to be on Chilkoot Charters' Carcross rail/bus trip last June, but a section of track washed out a few days before we arrived in Skagway. Instead we did the 7-hour Yukon rail/bus excursion, and that was wonderful. I highly recommend going to the Yukon by both train and bus, as you see different views and can make stops on the bus portion. The 3-hour roundtrip train goes to the summit and then reverses direction, and I've read too many comments from people who were bored on the way down or fell asleep! As Budget Queen said, the rail/bus combo trips offer the best of both.

HI Bonnie

When are you going and what ship? a group of us will be taking the sapphinre princess on may 24th!

i was looking into the Chilkoot tours and like the one that does the caracross bus and rail excursion.....its 9 hours with 5 on the train up and 4 on the bus back. it goes to lake bennett adn emerald lake too.

we are also considering the yukon bus and rail excursion too. its a longer bus ride with a shorter train ride.

let me know what you decide to do!

Bonnie from PA.

We just went came from the Aug 31 Radiance and one of the highlights of the trip was the Chilkoot Yukon Bus and Rail excursion, with Nancy as our guide. The train ride up to the White pass summit was breathtaking and one of the best experiences of my entire life. We were blessed with perfect weather, and the views were spectacular. One tip is to sit on the left side of the train as you board your 1.75 hr rail portion of the excursion. The following is a link to the excursion we experienced:

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm

I would imagine any of these choices will be good, weather permitting. Alaska was amazing and we loved the place so much that we're returning for the ULTIMATE 14 day May 3 Serenade in 2008.

Enjoy your trip....KEITH

. Alaska was amazing and we loved the place so much that we're returning for the ULTIMATE 14 day May 3 Serenade in 2008.

Enjoy your trip....KEITH

We'll be there with you on the Serenade. There's an active roll call for this sailing, with a lot of friendly and knowledgable cruisers. We'd love to have you join us, so come on over.....

Okay am I going crazy :rolleyes: or I just don't know where to find it, but where on Chilkoot Charters & Tours do they have the prices for the trips?

I looked last week and when I couldn't find, i.e., spot them on the web page, I emailed them but I haven't heard back from them yet.

As my mother says, it's probably right there and if it was a snake it would of bitten me :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Okay am I going crazy :rolleyes: or I just don't know where to find it, but where on Chilkoot Charters & Tours do they have the prices for the trips?

I looked last week and when I couldn't find, i.e., spot them on the web page, I emailed them but I haven't heard back from them yet.

As my mother says, it's probably right there and if it was a snake it would of bitten me :D

You're right - the prices aren't on their web site. I e-mailed them last fall and got their price list. The rail/bus prices for 2007 were $109/pp for the 3.5-hour trip to Fraser; $165/pp for the 7-hour trip to the Yukon; and $219/pp for the 9-hour trip to Carcross. I would expect prices to be a little higher for 2008.

How has everyone booked with Chilkoot? I filled out the reservation form, but have heard nothing, so I'm not sure it went through. Can I book over the telephone?

Yes, you can book via phone. If they aren't answering e-mails - it's possible they're taking a break. I know Harv & Marv's (in Juneau) web site says they are out of the office until Nov. 15th.

Just called and had a very nice conversation with the man that answered. We were chatting and I mentioned I was from Anchorage and he said, Susan, I said yes. He said he had read my email but hadn't gotten back to me yet, because the pricing for 2008 is close but just not quite there.

He said if anyone is worried about spots filling up that you could do the online booking and it wouldn't be processed until the 2008 prices are set, but with saying that you have to be careful as they have a cancellation policy that states the following -

A 10% cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations of confirmed reservations.

The entire amount of the tour price is forfeited if cancellation is not made within 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure date. Exceptions can be made on a case by case basis for circumstances beyond your immediate control.

Had an email this morning from Chilkoot Charters in regards to 2008 prices, and here is what it said - Susan in Anchorage

Good Evening,

We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:

1) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM

Cost: $109 Adult $69 Child (12 & under)

Itinerary: 1 3/4 hours on train to White Pass Summit & Fraser by train - Return to Skagway by bus

(This tour operates in reverse order at 8:30AM & 1:00PM)

2) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 7 Hours

Depart 7:30AM ~ Return to Skagway 2:30PM

Cost: $166 Adult $109 Child (12 & under)

With 15-Minute Dogsled Ride: $199 Adult $146 Child (12 & under)

Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

3) Skagway/Carcross Rail & Bus Excursion

Duration: 9 Hours

Depart 7:30AM ~ Return to Skagway 4:30PM

Cost: $218.10 Adult $139.05 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall/Parks Canada Interpretive Displays/Lunch Included

Itinerary: 21/2 hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett - 2 hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett – 2 hours by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

(This excursion operates in the reverse order on Wednesday and Sunday.)

All prices are subject to 5% sales tax.

Courtesy transportation is provided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions. Reservations may be made by visiting our web site at www.alaskatoursales.com and completing our online reservation form. Once we receive a reservation request, we will respond with an email confirmation that includes meeting and pickup instructions.

Regards,

CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS

Skagway, Alaska

Susan, I just started a new thread, asking what happened to the train from Lake Bennett to Carcross in 2007: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=655606 I hope the train will be back running that segment for 2008, because it looks like Chilkoot Charters is planning on that!

I found this on the White Pass railroad page, is this the one you were looking for?

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/yukonadventure.html

I found this on the White Pass railroad page, is this the one you were looking for?

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/yukonadventure.html

That's the trip. But when you click on the schedule for 2007 (http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html), the train doesn't go to Carcross. At some point during the summer of 2007, that train became a roundtrip to Lake Bennett.

Find it strange that it shows an excursion but doesn't show in their schedule. The only thing I can think of (and it happens to things here in Southcentral too) is that they change things at the end of the season. Like not run 2 shows a day of something, close earlier than during full season, etc.

Actually one of the reasons that I didn't get an immediate response to my 2008 price questions was they were waiting for the White Pass to set their prices and the other was the sales tax in Skagway. So White Pass must of decided as I got the new prices from Chilkoot this morning.

So who the heck knows.

I know the railroad had problems with the tracks in 2007. Our rail/bus excursion to Carcross with Chilkoot Charters turned into a rail trip to Fraser and bus to Carcross and back - due to the tracks washing out. Hopefully Murray will see the other thread and shed some light on the situation!

Thought, hey let's call. So I just called their 800# and unfortunately they only work Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Alaska time. So no help from them today!

It was a good thought! If Murray hasn't responded by Monday, then I hope someone at WP&YR's office can answer my question. For that matter - Larry at Chilkoot Charters probably knows the answer, as well.

I'm not even going to be in Skagway next summer, but I was just curious to see what their schedule looks like for next season!

Archived