Snorkeling in Cozumel

Tricia1972

I will be on RCCL and in Cozumel this December. Just wondering if you recommend snorkeling through a local shop or booking the excursion through the cruise line. This will be my first time snorkeling, but will have someone who has snorkeled before with me.

If you think a local shop would be the way to book, who do you suggest.

Thanks in advance!!

I will be on RCCL and in Cozumel this December. Just wondering if you recommend snorkeling through a local shop or booking the excursion through the cruise line. This will be my first time snorkeling, but will have someone who has snorkeled before with me.

If you think a local shop would be the way to book, who do you suggest.

Thanks in advance!!

If you want to snorkel from shore, your best deal is to take a taxi to Dzul Ha or Chankanaab Park. Chank charges $16 for admission. You can rent equipment at either place. These are two of the best shore snorkeling spots. If you want to take a boat trip out to one of the reefs, there are several good companies. Check the snorkel threads here on the CC boards. One trip that we enjoyed was a day at Playa Palancar. They had a reef snorkle trip for $30 and there were only 8 people on the trip.

Like another poster said. We never paid anyone to go snorkeling we do it on

our own.

We been there 2 or 3 times now and if the winds are calm the snorkeling is

some of the best. Just a taxi ride away you can go to many public areas

and swim not far and see some of the best snorkeling.

2630223120102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

2768603530102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

2416299790102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

2734473380102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

You can walk a block and rent mask, snorkel, BC, and fins for $9.00 from any of the dive shops and take a taxi to a free beach or just walk down the street from the pier about 300 yards and enter the water. It’s great right there and most of the time your all alone.

There is also a catamaran and snorkel trip that is very affordable $35.00 I think if you book on line. It’s a lot of fun and includes free beer and snacks. It’s about 3.5 hours long and that still gives you time to do other things.

I used to be a dive instructor during my college years and have been to Cozumel close to a hundred times. Every time I go, the diving get worst as far as marine life and underwater plants and things. Diving out of the parks off the beaten path is where I like to go with my kids. The last two times, we have found a taxi driver that speaks good English and had him drop us off some where along the road. Usually its near a public beach but seldom dived. When your finished, walk back onto the road and within 5 min. you can always get a taxi back.

Cozumal is one of the top rated world class dive spots in the world. It’s the best part of the Cozumal and should be taken advantage of whether it’s a ships tour or on your own. You will never forget it. If you have ever been certified, take a refresher course and if your not and have time before your leave, take a dive course even if your 70 years old. It’s one of the easiest dives you will ever do because it’s drift diving and you just ride the currents for a few miles and then they pick you up. Way less work than snorkeling. You will never regret it and the memory is priceless.

I have done business with the owners of Eagle Ray and they are honest and try hard to please everyone.

Again, my overstated 2 cents.

our own.

WOW These are good post Wilma shore snorkeling pictures. Where did you take these? I will be there next week!:p

Sandy

our own.

Which place are these pictures from?? There are so many choices with Beach Snorkeling i'm getting overwhelmed.

We went drift snorkeling at Palancar Reef thru RCI. Highlight of the whole week.

Considered booking independently but decided the risk of losing track of time was all too real, so the minor bump in cost was more like cheap insurance.

Best part of Palancar IMHO was when our guide took a few of us adventurous sorts to the edge of the reef. Quite the drop. Went from 18 ft or so to approx (gulp!) 3,000 ft. To quote Toyota, "Oh, what a feeling!".:eek:

Happy Cruising,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
We went drift snorkeling at Palancar Reef thru RCI. Highlight of the whole week.

Considered booking independently but decided the risk of losing track of time was all too real, so the minor bump in cost was more like cheap insurance.

Best part of Palancar IMHO was when our guide took a few of us adventurous sorts to the edge of the reef. Quite the drop. Went from 18 ft or so to approx (gulp!) 3,000 ft. To quote Toyota, "Oh, what a feeling!".:eek:

Happy Cruising,

Alan

I am considering this trip. How many people were on your boat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kruzeagain viewpost.gif

Happy Cruising,

Alan

"I am considering this trip. How many people were on your boat?"

I would guess approx 25-30. The boat was a substantially built and impeccably maintained vessel of roughly 65 feet. Two photos (most of my pics include DW) were taken from the upper sundeck/pilothouse area, and the third was taken from the main deck at the stern (back). There was a lot of indoor seating in the bright and airy main deck cabin, and the wide walk-around decks also had bench seats. It was, frankly, a bit more than we expected...but in a good way. Sun/shade or breezy/calm, there was always a good spot on board. Washrooms were even spotless (!).

I don't know if that boat always operated that way, or if it was fresh from drydock. The crew was pleasant and professional. Like most tour operators they will hit you up in a gentle yet slightly embarassing way for a wee tip just prior to docking after your snorkeling trip. Almost forgot; they carry an underwater photographer with them. We hesitantly agreed to pay for a print, but weren't sure if or when it would arrive at our home. It got home just a few days after we did, and it has a place of honor now.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

100_0855.jpg.301a6e7f6fec42f97613138b145592d8.jpg

100_0857.jpg.79f3680326ba35706385c5f4332fcaf5.jpg

100_0842.jpg.7a3ccb1437394b948152228e0aea38eb.jpg

Alan,

I am wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few more questions about the Palancar snorkel excursion offered through the ship. I am leaning heavily toward this trip for logistical reasons, but hubby likes to book independently and has some questions!

1. Did the boat meet you at the pier, or was there a bus to take you to the boat? If it was the latter, how long was the bus ride?

2. How long were you in the water snorkeling?

3. Did it seem crowded with 25-30 people in the water with you?

4. I think I read the tour in total is 3 hours 45 minutes, is that about how long you were gone?

Thanks in advance!! I am already looking forward to our time in Cozumel and especially snorkeling!

Alan,

I am wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few more questions about the Palancar snorkel excursion offered through the ship. I am leaning heavily toward this trip for logistical reasons, but hubby likes to book independently and has some questions!

1. Did the boat meet you at the pier, or was there a bus to take you to the boat? If it was the latter, how long was the bus ride?

The boat was tied up at the same pier as Explorer, literally just steps away.

2. How long were you in the water snorkeling?

Not sure, but it must have been quite a while. I'm reasonably fit and have been known to muck about in the water for hours on end, but I was quite content to clamber back aboard the boat after this trip. I would guess about an hour, but I was constantly diving down and around the coral.

3. Did it seem crowded with 25-30 people in the water with you?

No, not at all. They divided us into 2 groups at first, and then did a nifty little sub-split into 3 for the brief foray to "The Edge". Very well organized. Our group started off with about 13 people and we had a lead and tail guide, which allowed us to spread out nicely as we dove and drifted.

4. I think I read the tour in total is 3 hours 45 minutes, is that about how long you were gone?

That sounds about right. The boat burbled along at about 14 knots, so you might want to take a book just in case you're with a quiet group. Lovely journey along the coast, and it's nice to be close to that beautiful water instead of gazing at it from way up on a big ship. Our tour was one of the first of the day, and we made it back to port in time for a leisurely lunch at Windjammer's before trying to decide between touring the town (i.e. shopping) or having a decadent nap. The nap won.

Thanks in advance!! I am already looking forward to our time in Cozumel and especially snorkeling!

From a logistical and pricing standpoint this IMHO is one of those trips where booking through RCI has a distinct "peace of mind" aspect. If anything happens to the dive boat that slows it down or stops it, you don't have to worry about the ship leaving without you. There are backup plans galore.

Our dive boat in Grand Cayman lost its steering a couple miles offshore. The passengers came from a few different ships that day, and a few of them immediately panicked because they had no guarantee. The rest of us kicked back with a cool bevvie and enjoyed the sun as we rocked gently at anchor. Captain Marvin got everything hunky-dory in 40 minutes (see pic of Cap'n working away) and we carried on. So it was a bonus to get extra time on tour (sort of) without any resulting stress or complications. They even gave us an extra snorkeling stop(!).

Happy Cruising,

Alan

100_0873.jpg.03a7ccdeb19b3fb63f056c1556094ddf.jpg

Archived