recommendations for underwater camera

nurseblissful

i have an elderly 35mm sealife reefmaster that needs replacing. i got my son a canon s3 after checking recommendation here. what would you people recommend? i don't want to spend $$$$$, maybe around 300-350? but the old reefmaster let me down in barbados, and i don't want a repeat. also, i do not use the camera in virginia as the water quality is pretty gross here. so it will not see a lot of use. thanks for all help in advance. lauri

Now if you want a pocket size camera....

The hubby just got me a little Olympus 770sw.... they claim that "you can drop it (from 5ft), dunk it (to 33ft), freeze it (-10�C/14�F) or even try to crush it (up to 220lbf)". Haven't taken it in the water yet so can't comment on picture quality directly. Main reason he got it for me was that it is built like a tank (I broke my little canon sd600 last year). This seemed the best combination for us as I love to snorkel. So far picture quality has been great. Won't know how it will far in the water till our cruise in December.

I got an Olympus 720SW in Ebay from the Olympus Auction folks. It is refurbished but looks like new and came with a 90 day warrantee. I got it or $178. It is water proof to 10 feet - nice display and also take movies. I got it for our Jan southern Crib cruise.

Be sure that any camera you buy is truly useable underwater. Many cameras are "dunkable", meaning that, if you drop it in the water, but recover it immediately, it probably won't suffer any damage. That's not the same as a camera desinged to be used underwater.

An example of the latter is the Pentax W30. It is a 7.1 megapixel digital camera that Pentax claims can be used in up to 10 feet of water for up to 2 hours. While that probably isn't good enough for scuba diving, it is probably okay for snorkeling or visiting Stingray City. The list price is about $300. Its available for $235, with a $30 mail-in rebate, from B & H Photo in NY, a very reputable dealer.

Complete info and specs are available from Pentax at:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camera--Optio_W30/reqID--9587364/subsection--optio

Archived