Darkwood Beach

vidalia1

We were in Antigua on Thurs. Oct 25. I wanted a nice quiet beach with a bar and some snorkeling. The first hour we were there with only two other people on the beach. When we left there were about 20 people total. We loved it. Darkwood Beach was PERFECT.

It is about a 1/2 mile long beach with beautiful sand & water. It has a small beach bar with changing rooms, bathrooms, beer, soda, food, etc. We rented lounge chairs under huts for $5 each all day. To the right or left of the main beach are coral formations you can snorkel around. Nothing major but lots of fish. They had snorkel gear for rent but I did not notice the prices.

We used Valentine's Taxi Service 268-770-5353 or just get off the ship and walk toward the taxi area and ask for Valentine. He or his brother will take you anywhere. It was $30 each way to the beach. They will come back whenever you are ready to be picked up.

It was a day in Paradise.:D

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

I want to go to the beach so bad, but the taxi situation really concerns me. I won't have a phone and would worry too much about whether or not I would get back to the ship. You're brave!

Rent a car, that's what we did. Cost ended up being just a little more than two taxi fares.

Darkwood was an easy drive from town. Plus we continued on and visited a few other places.

The cost was for two and we arranged with the driver to pick us up at a designated time. We did not pay him until he got us back to town. That is how you are sure they will come back.

Valentine was so honorable he insisted we not pay him until he returned. I think most others would do the same but always ask the driver these questions first.

Renting a car is another good option as well.

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

On the particular day we were there it was very windy. I got the impression it usually is calmer on that side of the island but I think it depends on the usual factors, moon, tide, wind, etc.

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

Hey Im gonna be on the Emerald Princess in 3 weeks and we'll be in Antigua, Im renting a scooter from Chekes for the day $55 for everything great deal. Im gonna do that Darkwood beach thing actually I have the scooter all day which I hope affords me several beaches. Thanks for the Darkwood beach review Im sold. Later Todd

We were in Antigua on Thurs. Oct 25. I wanted a nice quiet beach with a bar and some snorkeling. The first hour we were there with only two other people on the beach. When we left there were about 20 people total. We loved it. Darkwood Beach was PERFECT.

It is about a 1/2 mile long beach with beautiful sand & water. It has a small beach bar with changing rooms, bathrooms, beer, soda, food, etc. We rented lounge chairs under huts for $5 each all day. To the right or left of the main beach are coral formations you can snorkel around. Nothing major but lots of fish. They had snorkel gear for rent but I did not notice the prices.

We used Valentine's Taxi Service 268-770-5353 or just get off the ship and walk toward the taxi area and ask for Valentine. He or his brother will take you anywhere. It was $30 each way to the beach. They will come back whenever you are ready to be picked up.

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

I second the recommendation of Darkwood Beach. We were there in March '07. Excellent beach just to lay out and have fun. Snorkeling was good down the beach to the right. We had the same experience as to having it to ourselves. When we got there there was maybe one or two other couples there. By the time we left there was maybe a total of 25 people there. Perfect!

We also had Valentine for our driver, but at that time he was working for Gordon. Glad to hear he is on his own. He was great! He took us all over the island and gave us a nice history. He also tested us along the way in a fun manner to see how much we knew about different things on the island. The world soccer championship games were in Antigua that week as well. I'd highly recommend Valentine to anyone needing a taxi/tourguide in Antigua. If Valentine is not available I would also highly recommend Gordon's company. Even if he isn't your guide the people he has working for him are great.

Out of the many eastern, western and southern Caribbean islands we've been to, we like Antigua the best.

Curious, was the water calm or wavy? We like to body surf? Thanks

The water was quite wavy when we were there. A friend of ours was facing the beach standing in the water and didn't see this big wave coming in behind her. It tossed her way up the beach and was rolling around in the classic beached whale cliche. She wasn't at all hurt and everyone got a huge laugh. Of course I didn't have my camera ready at the time. Her one-piece suit got filled with sand. :D

We all like playing in the surf so that didn't bother us. The kids had a blast.

Bummer.:(

Doesn't mean they don't have it. ;) It wasn't something we were looking to do so I didn't look to see if that was available.

They did have a massage tent there I remember and an old lady selling t-shirts and local jewelry real cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is Darkwood located? I tried looking up the map someone posted but could not find it.

Also, is the area safe? What happens if a taxi does not come back to pick you up? I want to check out this beach but I am a little worry if we cannot find a ride back to our ship.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

Kim, how long of a taxi ride was it from the cruise port to Darkwood Beach?

Thanks.

I just got back, was on the Emerald(earthquake cruise) last week here's the WHOLE deal. I rented a scooter from Cheke which Im not sure I really recommend but I did and went straight out to Darkwood its BEAUTIFUL!!! About a dozen(max) of us on the beach and then my 1st earthquake!!! The epicenter was up at Martinique according to CNN a 7.3 could NEVER tell you how humbling an experience an earthquake is, the entire beach and ocean was trembling violently, MAJOR buzz kill. Try and keep in mind I was watching the volcano on Montserrat all day long when this earthquake hit. That little Darkwood beach bar and restaurant is TOO perfect, spent the entire day there drinking Caribe's and eating everything, it was AWESOME!!! Cant wait to go back, water was incredible and full of fish trust me I swam with them all day long, beach was unbelievable and VERY few people one of THEE highlights of my cruise. Darkwood is a true unspoiled Caribbean beach cant say enough about it. Next time Im in Antigua Im going out there early and spending every second I can on that beach cant ask for much more it was PERFECT. I'd really like to thank you folks for refering this beach to me, it was a VERY special day to say the least I'll never forget it. CANT WAIT to go back. Antigua get out of the city and get out in the country its BEAUTIFUL, WOW what an Island, the mountains and people are AWESOME!!! Take care Todd

I just got back, was on the Emerald(earthquake cruise) last week here's the WHOLE deal. I rented a scooter from Cheke which Im not sure I really recommend but I did and went straight out to Darkwood its BEAUTIFUL!!! About a dozen(max) of us on the beach and then my 1st earthquake!!! The epicenter was up at Martinique according to CNN a 7.3 could NEVER tell you how humbling an experience an earthquake is, the entire beach and ocean was trembling violently, MAJOR buzz kill. Try and keep in mind I was watching the volcano on Montserrat all day long when this earthquake hit. That little Darkwood beach bar and restaurant is TOO perfect, spent the entire day there drinking Caribe's and eating everything, it was AWESOME!!! Cant wait to go back, water was incredible and full of fish trust me I swam with them all day long, beach was unbelievable and VERY few people one of THEE highlights of my cruise. Darkwood is a true unspoiled Caribbean beach cant say enough about it. Next time Im in Antigua Im going out there early and spending every second I can on that beach cant ask for much more it was PERFECT. I'd really like to thank you folks for refering this beach to me, it was a VERY special day to say the least I'll never forget it. CANT WAIT to go back. Antigua get out of the city and get out in the country its BEAUTIFUL, WOW what an Island, the mountains and people are AWESOME!!! Take care Todd

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Darkwood as much as we did. Antigua is our favorite island.

We never had the pleasure of experiencing an earthquake while on vacation, but when we were in Costa Rica in '92 we sat in a hot springs by the Arenal volcano. It was rumbling as we sat there soaking up the heat. Sounded just like thunder, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Hurricanes have gradually eaten up all but 7 of the wonderful tall Palm Trees that used to be in abundance (used to be more than 30+) along Darkwood beach. Also with one of the storms Darkwood beach road was cut in two. For a couple days if you wanted to go past Darkwood you had to take a small fishing boat across the gap created when the huricane devoured the road. Also one time when the volcano on Montserrat was very active we found lots of pieces of volcanic clasts along Darkwood.

It is a lovely quiet beach. BW

Hurricanes have gradually eaten up all but 7 of the wonderful tall Palm Trees that used to be in abundance (used to be more than 30+) along Darkwood beach. Also with one of the storms Darkwood beach road was cut in two. For a couple days if you wanted to go past Darkwood you had to take a small fishing boat across the gap created when the huricane devoured the road. Also one time when the volcano on Montserrat was very active we found lots of pieces of volcanic clasts along Darkwood.

It is a lovely quiet beach. BW

That's some interesting info about Darkwood, Grandma. Have you lived on Antigua all your life?

Archived