Darkwood Beach

vidalia1

Hurricanes have gradually eaten up all but 7 of the wonderful tall Palm Trees that used to be in abundance (used to be more than 30+) along Darkwood beach. Also with one of the storms Darkwood beach road was cut in two. For a couple days if you wanted to go past Darkwood you had to take a small fishing boat across the gap created when the huricane devoured the road. Also one time when the volcano on Montserrat was very active we found lots of pieces of volcanic clasts along Darkwood.

It is a lovely quiet beach. BW

Hey Grandma did you by chance feel that quake??!! Nice one, wasnt it!! Of all the islands in the Caribbean I've been too Antigua was MY FAVORITE, that little old lady at Darkwood was a SWEETHEART, spent my whole day on Antigua there and cant wait to go back. That Antiguan countryside is BEAUTIFUL!!! The day of the earthquake if you saw a guy zippin around the island on a scooter ...it was me.:D Thanks for the facts on Darkwood got anymore info were all ears. Hope you folks down there have a nice holiday. Take care Todd..thanks Grandma!!

• 11 months later...
Hey Im gonna be on the Emerald Princess in 3 weeks and we'll be in Antigua, Im renting a scooter from Chekes for the day $55 for everything great deal. Im gonna do that Darkwood beach thing actually I have the scooter all day which I hope affords me several beaches. Thanks for the Darkwood beach review Im sold. Later Todd

Hi TTEllis, I suppose you back from the cruise by now. We're also going the the Emerald to Antigua & I was wondering how you made out with the scooter. I was considering it but the extra $20 for the license put me off. $75 for the day seems a little much for getting to a few beaches.

we actually took the public bus to Darkwood. It cost like $2 a person and was an adventure in itself. we took a cab back. it was wonderful. we were the only one's there for about 2 hours. they didn't rent floats for those of you who like to float in the caribbean like I do. I was glad I had my backup blow-up ring. it worked great.

we actually took the public bus to Darkwood. It cost like $2 a person and was an adventure in itself. we took a cab back. it was wonderful. we were the only one's there for about 2 hours. they didn't rent floats for those of you who like to float in the caribbean like I do. I was glad I had my backup blow-up ring. it worked great.

After lots of reading this morning we've also decided to use the local bus service. We've got lots of time in port so that won't be any problem.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
We used the public bus #22 to Darkwood Beach last week. Cost us $1.50 per person each way. Beautiful beach.

Jo and I are going there in January. Where do you catch the bus? Did you snorkel at all and if so, how was it.

Still have great memories of the Gem and the good times we all had. John and Jo

Jo and I are going there in January. Where do you catch the bus? Did you snorkel at all and if so, how was it.

Still have great memories of the Gem and the good times we all had. John and Jo

Hi John and Jo. Great to see you both again. You walk two blocks from the cruise ship to Market Street. Turn right and walk about 1/4 mile, bus terminal will be on your right across from the public market. Take the #22. Ask driver to let you know when you reach Darkwood Beach. Coming back is easy as bus stop is right near the beach. Buses look like small vans and hold 15 people. We found the locals very friendly and helpful so if you need any assistance feel free to ask. This was the second time we used the bus in Antiqua. The first was last February on the Gem when we went to Jolly Beach which is the stop before Darkwood. Friends of our snorkeled but said the visibility wasn't the greatest. Hope to see you again on a future cruise. :)

Kewguy-- Since you have been to both beaches, which one would you recommend? We would like to snorkel, but not necessary. Would like some place to have trees for shade. Any help will be appreciated. John

They have lounge chair and umbrella rentals at both beaches. Chairs were $5.00 pp and umbrella $3.00 at Darkwood. From what I recall it was a bit more expensive at Jolly. Both beaches are very nice. Darkwood more scenic with a stronger current. Jolly was calmer. Darkwood is also smaller than Jolly. If I had to pick one next time we return I would probably go back to Darkwood.

• 2 weeks later...
Are rentals available? How much? thanks.

We were just at Turner beach which was right down the road from Darkwood beach & their prices were as follows;

• Beach Chair $5.00

• Mask & Fins $10.00

• Mask Fins & Beach Chair $12.00

• Inflatable Beds $5.00

Prices at Darkwood must be similar.

We were just at Turner beach which was right down the road from Darkwood beach & their prices were as follows;

• Beach Chair $5.00

• Mask & Fins $10.00

• Mask Fins & Beach Chair $12.00

• Inflatable Beds $5.00

Prices at Darkwood must be similar.

How was Turner? Was there anywhere to grab some grub and beer? Would you go back?

How was Turner? Was there anywhere to grab some grub and beer? Would you go back?

We only stopped there for about 15 minutes since we were on a cab tour top use the bathroom. It looked very nice, not many people on the beach, clean sand. All the beaches looked great- very scenic. Jolly, Turner, Darkwood. I didn't take notice of the drink prices but the food prices looked reasonable. We had paid $20 per person for a tour but you can get to any of the beaches using the local bus which will stop at any beach for around $2 per person. It's within easy walking distance of the ship = we passed it by on the way back. West bus terminal. I think I read #22 bus somewhere. (just ask- the people are very helpful & friendly. It''s probably a 15 minute ride by bus from the bus terminal. Next time we're just going to the beach & not do a tour. Ask anyone where the west bus station is & you can't get lost. It's right in town. We also saw a lot of local vendors near the bus terminal. There prices were most likely cheaper than the shops by the ship, but who has time to shop only to save a few bucks.

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/36151/2457860290103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/43225/2114195820103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi John and Jo. Great to see you both again. You walk two blocks from the cruise ship to Market Street. Turn right and walk about 1/4 mile, bus terminal will be on your right across from the public market. Take the #22. Ask driver to let you know when you reach Darkwood Beach. Coming back is easy as bus stop is right near the beach. Buses look like small vans and hold 15 people. We found the locals very friendly and helpful so if you need any assistance feel free to ask. This was the second time we used the bus in Antiqua. The first was last February on the Gem when we went to Jolly Beach which is the stop before Darkwood. Friends of our snorkeled but said the visibility wasn't the greatest. Hope to see you again on a future cruise. :)

Thanks for the bus tip. You just sold me on Darkwood. I was debating on going there or one of two others. I google mapped the island and I was able to see exactly where the bus stop is. I'd rather use a bus any time as long as I am not tight on time or have too far to go. I'll take $50 plus you just saved me and apply it to beers on the beach!:D

Thanks for the bus tip. You just sold me on Darkwood. I was debating on going there or one of two others. I google mapped the island and I was able to see exactly where the bus stop is. I'd rather use a bus any time as long as I am not tight on time or have too far to go. I'll take $50 plus you just saved me and apply it to beers on the beach!:D

Glad to help. We'll certainly be heading back to Darkwood on our next visit to Antigua. A good rule of thumb is to always allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship.

I was thinking 1 1/2 hours before the ship leaves.

We headed back 2 hours before the ship left. Factoring in the frequent stops the bus makes. Also remember these buses/mini vans only seat 15 passengers. So occasionally a full bus will pass you by.

At Darkwood chairs were $5.00 pp and the umbrella was $3.00. The bus was $1.50 each way.

Hi again. Was the fare in US dollars or local currency? Do the vendors accept US dollars and do you know what is the exchange rate for the local currency?

We are going on a 19 day South American cruise out of San Francisco to Santiago Chile in November on the NCL Sun. Jo wanted to know if you have ever done one like that? Hope you had a Happy New Year. John

Hi again. Was the fare in US dollars or local currency? Do the vendors accept US dollars and do you know what is the exchange rate for the local currency?

We are going on a 19 day South American cruise out of San Francisco to Santiago Chile in November on the NCL Sun. Jo wanted to know if you have ever done one like that? Hope you had a Happy New Year. John

Yes, US Dollars are widely accepted. Not sure of the exchange rate. Have never done a South American cruise as of yet.

Any island music at Darkwood Beach?????? Any beach???

No island music. Just a quiet, relaxing, beautiful beach to enjoy. There is also a bar & grill. It's not a very large beach but there won't be many people there either. Another interesting fact is the day we were there we could see the island of Montserrat very clearly in the distance as well as a few other islands.

darkwood1.jpg.7ab416f425197d44fe00fcf5d634da64.jpg

darkwood2.jpg.b68a2d0dd387bcd14f1c96aafe1b3ad0.jpg

Archived