Darkwood Beach

vidalia1

Rent a car, that's what we did. Cost ended up being just a little more than two taxi fares.

Darkwood was an easy drive from town. Plus we continued on and visited a few other places.

We will be visiting Antigua in March. We wondered if you could tell us where you rented your rental car and how much it was for the day. We will most likely do this to save money for 4 people to get around for the day and see what we would like. Also wondered what types of places you saw after you left the beach. Any recommendations on must see places would be great! Thanks.

Thanks to Kewlguy and his advice on Darkwood beach. We followed his directions walked to the local bus depot, about 10 minutes from the boat and rode out to Darkwood. $1.50 pp each way and so simple. Beach was great, chair and umbrella rentals were $13, if separate, umbrella was $5 and chairs $5 each. I would highly recommend Darkwood.

bubbachief - did you have any trouble getting the bus back or did you take a cab? thanks

No, we waited about 10 minutes. Bus stop right outfront from the beach. They said bus run about every 20 minutes or so, if you just missed one, you might have a longer than we did. Key is just give yourself plenty of time to get back.

We talked to a couple at the beach who said they paid someone $32 each way. That sounds like they got ripped off. I don't know what a cab would cost, but the bus was great.

Thanks to Kewlguy and his advice on Darkwood beach. We followed his directions walked to the local bus depot, about 10 minutes from the boat and rode out to Darkwood. $1.50 pp each way and so simple. Beach was great, chair and umbrella rentals were $13, if separate, umbrella was $5 and chairs $5 each. I would highly recommend Darkwood.

Great to hear it worked out for you John. We would love to visit Darkwood again in the near future. It's definitely worth the trip. :)

kewlguy,

Thanks so much for your info.Can you tell me what kind of drinks the bar has and food?

Thanks much.

oh have you heard of Valley church Beach?How is that one?

I'm afraid I can't help you with that info. We didn't eat or drink at the beach. Never heard of Valley Church Beach.

Can you rent mopeds how much are they?

Hey I rented a scooter in Nov. of 2007, on Antigua from Cheke's Scooter Rental. It was $65 a day and kinda worth it, make no mistake the potholes are enormous and the goats are road hazards. I picked it up right there at the port, and went out to Darkwood and had an AWESOME day. If your gonna spend the whole day at Darkwood I personally wouldnt rent one, but if you wanna drive around all day and see the island I highly recommend it. Hope that helps Todd

how is the snorkeling at darkwood?

Hi-- It is so so, the best was to the right of the main beach area. There is a reef of sorts and some fish. I would'nd go to Darkwood for the snorkeling, but it is a beautiful beach to relax and swim.

thanks bubbachief, which beach would u recommend for snorkeling, first time at antigua..cindy

Hi-- I don't have enought knowledge of the different beaches to recommend best snorkeling. Darkwood was OK, but we had better snorkeling on St Lucia. Darkwood is a really nice beach for relaxing and easy to get to on the bus.

Can anyone give us directions on how to get to the bus stop. Thanks

Hi-- Go to page 2, post #33 from Kewlguy. It took us about 10 minutes to walk there. If you have problems, ask anyone, the bus you want is #22.

An important question from my husband -- anyone remember the beer/drink prices at Darkwood?

we just visited Darkwood last week, my husband got Antiguan local beer for $4. And it was a TINY bottle.

there was a construction going on the right side of beach, we also saw black smoke on that side of the beach.

Darkwood was good and relaxing, and we rented chairs and spend about 4hrs.

But we loved Valley Church Beach! it was so beautifull and quiet. It is on the way to Darkwood. we stopped at Valley Church on the way back by bus. We walked a couple of minutes and arrived to the left end of the beach. there were only few locals at that end of the beach and no bar. It seemed like there were more people at the other end of the beach with chairs, etc but we didn't go. I recommend Valley Church over Darkwood. Darkwood is right next to the road, and you can hear the traffic.

Archived