FAQ on air travel

Host Mike

Yes-it's almost 2AM, the cargo plane just landed, I now have to work until about 6AM. While I am waiting for the plane to be unloaded to get the food manifests, your little project will give me something to do for an hour or so. Don't know what I will come up with, but something hopefully suitable.

Not sure if Jimc_usa is still here, but from his other posts, I gather he is going on the NCL Epic TA - departing Miami May 7, arriving in Barcelona May 18. Wanted to stay another couple of weeks, which would put the return at around June 1. So, MSP-MIA around May 6, BCN-MSP around June 1.

Not sure if Jimc_usa is still here, but from his other posts, I gather he is going on the NCL Epic TA - departing Miami May 7, arriving in Barcelona May 18. Wanted to stay another couple of weeks, which would put the return at around June 1. So, MSP-MIA around May 6, BCN-MSP around June 1.

Just using the dates you posted, I can very easily see how using a combination of a Delta ticket for MSP to FLL to board the cruise (plus a shuttle to the cruise port which was figured in) then JFK to MSP on the return plus an Aer Lingus ticket from BCN to JFK will result in a TOTAL fare of just slightly over $1000.00. In fact, if you are willing to take a 12 hour flight from JFK through Washington DC (Reagan airport) with a 7 hour layover, I can get the total price down to about $920.00 IF booked at today's prices.

Delta price is $442.00 from MSP to FLL on May 6, then the late night return from JFK (no long layover). AerLingus from Dublin to JFK on June 1-$502 and AerLingus from BCN to Dublin is $53.00. One bag of 50 pounds plus 22 pound carryon. IF you need the extra bag, AerLingus has a nice feature-flat rate of $50 for a second bag on USA flights.

You will have to change terminals when you arrive JFK/USA. And you will have to handle your own luggage at JFK. But with online check in for Delta, shouldn't be very complicated. AND you have NO long immigration lines entering the USA on AerLingus. You are PRE CLEARED in Ireland, so get your luggage, walk it through Customs and off you go to the Delta terminal. 3 hour layover at JFK, which should be more than sufficient. AND you MAY have to spend the night in Dublin-the entire schedule (intra Europe) for AerLingus is NOT out yet for the public website but AerLingus has some pretty good "packages" for hotels and sightseeing. The schedule through March DOES NOT require an overnight.

There are other, more complicated ways to do it and get the price down to about $750-800 but that involves changing airports in NYC as well as a transfer from Palm Beach to MIA for the cruise as well as flying FROM MSP on May 5.

Just got to put on the old thinking cap.

Edited by greatam

• 2 weeks later...

Any one know how long the security line waits are at the Memphis airport?

I tried looking it up on line and everything is really varied anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes.

I know your thinking "Just get there in pleanty of time" but I'm not actually leaving from Memphis...I have a hour and a half layover there and my brother works there as one of those drive around security guys. I wanted to quickly meet up with him and he says I can meet him outside the terminals but it's a hassel for him to get inside to me.

Just wondering if there's anyone out there that flys out of there often enough to give me an idea.

• 4 months later...
Just using the dates you posted, I can very easily see how using a combination of a Delta ticket for MSP to FLL to board the cruise (plus a shuttle to the cruise port which was figured in) then JFK to MSP on the return plus an Aer Lingus ticket from BCN to JFK will result in a TOTAL fare of just slightly over $1000.00. In fact, if you are willing to take a 12 hour flight from JFK through Washington DC (Reagan airport) with a 7 hour layover, I can get the total price down to about $920.00 IF booked at today's prices.

Delta price is $442.00 from MSP to FLL on May 6, then the late night return from JFK (no long layover). AerLingus from Dublin to JFK on June 1-$502 and AerLingus from BCN to Dublin is $53.00. One bag of 50 pounds plus 22 pound carryon. IF you need the extra bag, AerLingus has a nice feature-flat rate of $50 for a second bag on USA flights.

You will have to change terminals when you arrive JFK/USA. And you will have to handle your own luggage at JFK. But with online check in for Delta, shouldn't be very complicated. AND you have NO long immigration lines entering the USA on AerLingus. You are PRE CLEARED in Ireland, so get your luggage, walk it through Customs and off you go to the Delta terminal. 3 hour layover at JFK, which should be more than sufficient. AND you MAY have to spend the night in Dublin-the entire schedule (intra Europe) for AerLingus is NOT out yet for the public website but AerLingus has some pretty good "packages" for hotels and sightseeing. The schedule through March DOES NOT require an overnight.

There are other, more complicated ways to do it and get the price down to about $750-800 but that involves changing airports in NYC as well as a transfer from Palm Beach to MIA for the cruise as well as flying FROM MSP on May 5.

Just got to put on the old thinking cap.

Thanks for the info - I am taking your advice and watching all those suggestions. It seems that Air Lingus via Dublin and Chicago may be the wat to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering buying their flexair ticket, the price is better than what I was able to find online for a direct flight from ewr to fco in November. What I want to know is since the tickets aren't paid till final payment can they raise the airfare price?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike; just wondering if you knew the cheapest way for airfare from Toronto to Rome return for a cruise. Also open for leaving from Buffalo instead of Toronto, if it is cheaper that way? Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your reply.:)

• 2 months later...

I am looking at a cruise leaving from San Diego and ending in Sydney. The one way fares are higher than roundtrip when I try to book myself. But when I got a quote from the cruiseline for both air and cruise, they were able to give me a wonderful price on the air. I am concerned about booking the air through the cruiseline as I have heard numerous bad comments about booking this way. Why can they give me such a better price for the air? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
I am concerned about booking the air through the cruiseline as I have heard numerous bad comments about booking this way. Why can they give me such a better price for the air?
For your itinerary, you can probably only book it by buying two one-way tickets. These can be expensive, particularly for long-haul flights, when compared to discount round-trip tickets, as there are many routes on which airlines only sell full-fare tickets if you want to buy a one-way ticket.

The cruise line has contracts with airlines for passengers who book their air travel through the cruise line. Typically, on a one-way cruise like yours, the cruise line will move about as many passengers in one direction as in the other to/from Sydney (in the case of your cruise), so it will get contract pricing akin to the pricing it would get if it was buying round-trip travel (eg to get passengers to/from Miami-Miami round-trip cruises). This is one situation in which the cruise line's commercial position can allow it to offer much cheaper air fares than you could get if you were booking as a private individual.

• 1 month later...
For your itinerary, you can probably only book it by buying two one-way tickets. These can be expensive, particularly for long-haul flights, when compared to discount round-trip tickets, as there are many routes on which airlines only sell full-fare tickets if you want to buy a one-way ticket.

The cruise line has contracts with airlines for passengers who book their air travel through the cruise line. Typically, on a one-way cruise like yours, the cruise line will move about as many passengers in one direction as in the other to/from Sydney (in the case of your cruise), so it will get contract pricing akin to the pricing it would get if it was buying round-trip travel (eg to get passengers to/from Miami-Miami round-trip cruises). This is one situation in which the cruise line's commercial position can allow it to offer much cheaper air fares than you could get if you were booking as a private individual.

I have just got answer to my question whether to book with the Star Princess cruise for Rio de Janeiro from Washington DC on January 21, 2012, then return from Santiago de Chile on February 4, 2012. After much search on Booking Buddy, Kayak, Travelocity. I didn't get anywhere, but see the more than $2,000 air fare which is more than the cruise ticket. Any suggestions other than look into the cruise line ticket which will save my time searching?

I am tempted to book into a land tour with airfare included plus the hotel and excursions.

Teresa

I have just got answer to my question whether to book with the Star Princess cruise for Rio de Janeiro from Washington DC on January 21, 2012, then return from Santiago de Chile on February 4, 2012. After much search on Booking Buddy, Kayak, Travelocity. I didn't get anywhere, but see the more than $2,000 air fare which is more than the cruise ticket. Any suggestions other than look into the cruise line ticket which will save my time searching?

I am tempted to book into a land tour with airfare included plus the hotel and excursions.

Teresa

Here you go from JFK-$1039 on one of the better airlines in the world. Surely you can figure out how to get from Washington, DC to JFK and return for less than $1000-train, bus, drive, cheapo flight.

New York (JFK) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) - Thu, Jan 19

LAN Airlines New York (JFK) to Santiago (SCL) - Thu, Jan 19

LAN Airlines 533 Dep: 8:00PM Arr: 8:50AM 10h 50m Boeing 767 Coach (Q)

Layover in SCL Fri, Jan 20 3h 35m

LAN Airlines Santiago (SCL) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) - Fri, Jan 20

LAN Airlines 772 Dep: 12:25PM Arr: 5:35PM 4h 10m Airbus A320 Coach (Q)

Santiago (SCL) to New York (JFK) - Sat, Feb 4

LAN Airlines LAN Airlines 532 Dep: 10:25PM Arr: 7:15AM 10h 50m Boeing 767 Coach (Q)

Sun, Feb 5

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $1,039.10

Total cost for 1 passenger $1,039.10

• 7 months later...
We are suppose to dock in Ft Lauderdale at 7 in morning on Constellation. What time fleight should I look at?
What guidance does your cruise line give? That's the best advice to go by, although I think most would say that at Fort Lauderdale you'd be pretty safe if your flight leaves Fort Lauderdale airport any time from noon onwards.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I are cruising from Barcelona round trip and flying from IAH Houston with another couple. For the first time we are going with the cruise line air/sea pkg - no deviations - good price -- what's the best way to select the best seats available for the 4 of us as soon as the cruise line releases our air itinerary to us? We are told we can request our own seats. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a newbie question.

I am going to be cruising on the NCL Epic November 10-17th of this year (woo!) and I have been looking at rates for flights leaving from Charlotte, NC to Miami, FL. I have read that it's risky to fly the day of, so I have been looking for flights in the late afternoon/early evening of November 9th (as of right now, I am planning to work until 5 PM, but I may see if I can get that Friday off or at least leave early).

When I first booked my cruise, I found a flight that worked well (leaving Charlotte at 7:55 pm nonstop to Miami, arriving at 9:55 pm) for around $350. Was advised by various people who have flown before that prices go down closer to the date of the flight and that I should wait until later in the year to book my flight. I have been keeping an eye on the rates, though, and that same flight is now showing a higher price. Eep.

Do I have cause to be concerned? Or were friends correct in saying that prices will go down closer to departure day?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I have a newbie question.

I am going to be cruising on the NCL Epic November 10-17th of this year (woo!) and I have been looking at rates for flights leaving from Charlotte, NC to Miami, FL. I have read that it's risky to fly the day of, so I have been looking for flights in the late afternoon/early evening of November 9th (as of right now, I am planning to work until 5 PM, but I may see if I can get that Friday off or at least leave early).

When I first booked my cruise, I found a flight that worked well (leaving Charlotte at 7:55 pm nonstop to Miami, arriving at 9:55 pm) for around $350. Was advised by various people who have flown before that prices go down closer to the date of the flight and that I should wait until later in the year to book my flight. I have been keeping an eye on the rates, though, and that same flight is now showing a higher price. Eep.

Do I have cause to be concerned? Or were friends correct in saying that prices will go down closer to departure day?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

You don't state which airline you prefer to fly on, but I have found that recently the prices go UP not down the closer to the date you want to fly. I recommend that you check the prices daily for the next few days, then purchase as soon as you can. I generally fly SW, for example, and I usually purchase the week the schedule is released. Generally, prices are least expensive on Tuesday, but not always. Flexibility is the key, as Friday evening flights tend to be most expensive.

Thanks for the reply, albeit a month late. lol

I didn't mention "which airline I prefer to fly on" because I've never flown before. So I don't have a preference, I was just asking a general question regarding flying. If I had flown before, I'd likely know the ropes and wouldn't have been asking such questions. :P

My cruise leaves on a Saturday, so unless I go a few days beforehand (which isn't possible, since I only get one week's vacation from work), my flight would have to be on Friday.

I have already purchased my tickets, though, so none of this is an issue for me any longer.

Again, thanks for the reply. :)

Edited by dreamr

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
there are advantages of both. Cruise air includes transfers and if flight is later or delayed it is up to cruise lines to forward clients to next port.

BRRRRRUUPPPPP. I'm sorry, but that is an incorrect answer. Cruise lines are NOT responsible.

Generally cruise lines will want to avoid this by either booking early flights or the night before

BRRRRRUUPPPPP. I'm sorry, but that too is an incorrect answer. Cruise lines will give you what they have available "on the shelf" from the inventory they have from their bulk contracts.

So cost of air is higher with cruise lines. Own on is lower. Generally the cost of transfers is such that the air cost with cruise lines is still way higher. You just want to make sure you get your own flight that come in early.

BRRRRRUUPPPPP. I'm sorry, but that as well is an incorrect answer. It is completely dependent on the specifics of the cruise, cruiseline, dates, routings and many other factors.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Which is better Rayanair or easyjet considering thair airfares and service quality?
That's not a good question to start with. You have to start with what journey you're doing, and where Ryanair or easyJet might fit into the plan. Only then start looking at fares, service quality, and all the extra and hidden costs of flying with them.

• 1 month later...

We are looking at a Carnival cruise that starts in LA and ends in Santiago, Chile. We usually use FF miles (American), but don't have enough miles for this trip.

We can get to LA using FF miles for the beginning of the cruise. Carnival one way back to LA is $699pp; the cheapest I can find on my own is closer to $800 and is on either Aeromexico or Copa; reviews of these two lines are so awful I don't want to book them. Those fares are mostly back to Dallas, which is fine.

We can also get roundtrip air from Dallas from Carnival for $1099pp. (We live nearest Omaha, but cruise air won't work from there.) But, we want to go in early. We prefer to stay in Chile a day or two also; can we ask for a deviation for that? And what would the cost probably be for a deviation?

We've never used cruise air for all the reasons given on these boards, but, without it this time, we probably won't do the cruise. Is there anyone who has had a similar itinerary and the flights weren't, like 5 stops, or on a horrible airline?

I know we have to take what we get, and don't know until 30-60 days out. Scared to try it! Any experiences that would help?

We are looking at a Carnival cruise that starts in LA and ends in Santiago, Chile. We usually use FF miles (American), but don't have enough miles for this trip.

We can get to LA using FF miles for the beginning of the cruise. Carnival one way back to LA is $699pp; the cheapest I can find on my own is closer to $800 and is on either Aeromexico or Copa; reviews of these two lines are so awful I don't want to book them. Those fares are mostly back to Dallas, which is fine.

We can also get roundtrip air from Dallas from Carnival for $1099pp. (We live nearest Omaha, but cruise air won't work from there.) But, we want to go in early. We prefer to stay in Chile a day or two also; can we ask for a deviation for that? And what would the cost probably be for a deviation?

We've never used cruise air for all the reasons given on these boards, but, without it this time, we probably won't do the cruise. Is there anyone who has had a similar itinerary and the flights weren't, like 5 stops, or on a horrible airline?

I know we have to take what we get, and don't know until 30-60 days out. Scared to try it! Any experiences that would help?

When is the cruise?

You might consider phoning AA and asking about award availability around your return date, using either their planes or Lan Chile, an excellent airline which is based in Santiago. You can't see Lan award availability online through AA's website, but the AA people can tell you if there's space open on or close to your preferred date.

If they see space available and you don't have enough miles, go to AA.com - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp - and buy the miles you need. At present AA is offering a 33% bonus, so e.g. to get 30,000 miles (enough for a one-way coach seat in peak season, Dec - Feb) you'd buy 24,000 miles for $660 plus tax, and receive another 8,000 as a bonus. This happens basically instantly, so then you phone AA back and book the seats. That will get you all the way home, not just to DFW. It's really very easy. You could even look for business class seats, requiring 50,000 miles each - $1100 for 40K mi + 12K mi bonus is pretty cheap for a business class flight from deep South America.