FAQ on air travel

Host Mike

2 hours ago, chev29 said:

Has anyone flown on Eurowings out of Copenhagen to Ft Myers?  We are looking for air in May 2019. Expedia rates it as a very good flight, but haven't heard anything about them. 

Eurowings is the low-cost airline from the Lufthansa Group - As usual when dealing with low-cost airlines check luggage allowance and extra fees for seats and booking - might look as a good rate at Expedia but might be more expensive before booking is completed. 

Link to their web Announcing a promotion at €240 from Copenhagen to Fort  Meyers. Airline is quite popular In Germany.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, txnative81 said:

So we found an amazing deal on airfare for dfw to bcn round trip for $1721 through Lufthansa. We can upgrade on United’s website for an extra $345 for one way business class. Is it worth it?

Is this a UA flight you would book on LH’s webpage?  If so, where are you seeing this upgrade price?  That seems awfully low and business class upgrades on UA are hard to find in advance, especially if you booked your ticket through LH.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sailing on a Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego on December 6. I am planning to fly to Mazatlan from JFK on November 26, and then on to San Diego December 4. So far, the only decent flights are on AA, and if priced as an intercity, would go for $1700 and up. Priced individually they are $345 to Mazatlan and $400 or so to San Diego. I don't think I can book this on Holland America Flight Ease. Any other ideas? 

• 9 months later...

I've booked a cruise and ezair flexible fare with Princess.

With a current promo Princess have I can save over $500 on the cruise cost. If I contact my travel agent to rebook with the cheaper fare, what happens to the airfare compenent. Does it have to rebook as this would be a worry as currently airfares are $100s of more and are no longer flexible only fixed.  Ideally I would want to keep the airfare but rebook the cruise.  Is this possible? 

thanks

Kayla

4 hours ago, Kaylacool said:

I've booked a cruise and ezair flexible fare with Princess.

With a current promo Princess have I can save over $500 on the cruise cost. If I contact my travel agent to rebook with the cheaper fare, what happens to the airfare compenent. Does it have to rebook as this would be a worry as currently airfares are $100s of more and are no longer flexible only fixed.  Ideally I would want to keep the airfare but rebook the cruise.  Is this possible? 

thanks

Kayla

I'm not sure the terms in Australia. In the US, if you are before final payment and you "refare" your cruise (not cancel and rebook) then your air that you have saved to your reservation does not change. If you need to cancel your reservation, and "rebook" then you will not retain your saved airfare. 

19 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I'm not sure the terms in Australia. In the US, if you are before final payment and you "refare" your cruise (not cancel and rebook) then your air that you have saved to your reservation does not change. If you need to cancel your reservation, and "rebook" then you will not retain your saved airfare. 

Thanks for your response.  My TA said that i would need to cancel and rebook as this price was only for new bookings??

Plus this also meant we would have to rebook airfares and they are much higher atm.  Doesn't look that attractive anymore 😞

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, gypsysouls said:

Not sure where to post this ,might be a silly question but how far in advance does anybody suggest booking airline tickets to get best price? (Legend out of Barcelona Oct 2020) looking at flights on fly2cruise re: Carnival

For Europe I would be looking at purchasing now.  Play with the features on Google Flights to see what’s typical.  Here is a screenshot of current pricing for October.  I chose ATL-BCN based on your location.

97F605D9-4053-4579-8052-3348ECBD122A.png

Make certain that you check Princess EZ Air when available (300 days out or so). Can cancel or change up to 45 days out and pay at THAT TIME.

They are a consolidator and usually beat all other prices. The guarantees to get you there on time are also nice!

You also can choose economy, premium economy, first class and connecting airports if needed. The number of stops, the flexibility, and the time that you will kill at the airport are all there. Then you contact your airline to select seats.

Has consistently been easier that using ITA Matrix (Google for travel agents) and any or all commercial websites.

Edited by Davey Jones Dentist
Update

• 2 weeks later...

Princess (Carnival Corp) posts their EZ Air rates 300 days before a cruise. Carnival Cruises are probably the same.

EZ Air has always been the best deal for me. Can change Flexible EZ Air fares up until 45 days before the cruise. (Our transatlantic last year dropped $400 a few months before the deadline.) You can change flights, times, days etc at no cost and money is refundable...

AND payment is usually due for your air 45 days before the cruise! (Your mileage may vary.)

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

We will be flying business class to meet our cruise in Budapest.  Our home airport is Denver which currently shows no nonstops. There are flights with one layover at a higher price than the two layover flights. Will Viking make the one layover flights available to us?   At an additional cost? 

Thanks, 

34 minutes ago, jim80134 said:

We will be flying business class to meet our cruise in Budapest.  Our home airport is Denver which currently shows no nonstops. There are flights with one layover at a higher price than the two layover flights. Will Viking make the one layover flights available to us?   At an additional cost? 

Thanks, 

Being that's a Viking-specific question, the answer can best be obtained from.....Viking.  And FYI, the only non-stop service between Budapest and North America has been on LOT to JFK.

18 hours ago, jim80134 said:

Thanks, 

Yes, you can work with Viking to customize your air to what you like. You pay a small fee to work with their air department directly, and then if the route you select goes over their contracted limit you can pay the difference and have them book it. I've done this many times for my own air, and for clients. It's a very good program. 

• 1 year later...

Hi. We have flights included as part of our cruise but want to extend out our holiday/vacation and stay for a bit in the destination port returning at a later date. When I tried to get the flights changed for the later date the cruise line was charging significantly more than the tickets would cost by buying direct from the airline and on top of that they also wanted a cancellation fee. Would there be any issue with purchasing the tickets independently and then not showing for the return flight booked by the cruise line - could inform the airline we wouldn’t be travelling on the day.

Edited by KeithMoon14
Found mistake

• 9 months later...

This board started long ago but see questions from 2022 so here goes.

We fly Delta to JFK from Boston to connect with an international flight to Venice no stop. EZair only has 1.5 hours between flights. I don't think this is enough time to get off this flight and go to the international terminal. We arrive and depart in the same general location.

For those who have flown out of JFK to Europe is this enough time?  Our TA seems to think it isn't an issue. Does Delta transfer our bags or do we need to collect them and go back through security?

Thanks

8 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

We fly Delta to JFK from Boston to connect with an international flight to Venice no stop. EZair only has 1.5 hours between flights. I don't think this is enough time to get off this flight and go to the international terminal. ... Does Delta transfer our bags or do we need to collect them and go back through security?

As far as I can see, this is all within the same terminal (JFK Terminal 4), so there shouldn't be a need for you to do anything other than go to the gate for your onward JFK-VCE flight. No security, no baggage collection.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

As far as I can see, this is all within the same terminal (JFK Terminal 4), so there shouldn't be a need for you to do anything other than go to the gate for your onward JFK-VCE flight. No security, no baggage collection.

That's wonderful thanks, again.