FAQ on air travel

Host Mike

Sailing RC -- leaving Sunday, June 22nd 7pm and returning Friday, July 4th at 5am. We are stopping in London for 2 days. Sunday morning flight options 7:10 am arriving 10:15 am or 11:30 am arriving 2:25 pm; we would prefer to take the 11:30 am flight. Is this advisable? Also, can we catch a 11:35 am return flight on the 4th? Thank you in advance.

Sailing RC -- leaving Sunday, June 22nd 7pm and returning Friday, July 4th at 5am. We are stopping in London for 2 days. Sunday morning flight options 7:10 am arriving 10:15 am or 11:30 am arriving 2:25 pm; we would prefer to take the 11:30 am flight. Is this advisable? Also, can we catch a 11:35 am return flight on the 4th? Thank you in advance.

What time does the ship leave Barcelona? What time does the ship arrive back into Barcelona? Those are key parts of the puzzle that we need to know in order to give intelligent replies :)

John

Sailing RC -- leaving Sunday, June 22nd 7pm and returning Friday, July 4th at 5am. We are stopping in London for 2 days. Sunday morning flight options 7:10 am arriving 10:15 am or 11:30 am arriving 2:25 pm; we would prefer to take the 11:30 am flight. Is this advisable?
Not entirely sure why you are restricted to these two flights. I can see that the 0920 Gatwick departure is more expensive, but the 0925 Heathrow departure (which would be a better time to depart than 1125, anyway) should be the same price as the 1125 Heathrow departure (which is the time that I can see). In addition, the 0925 is operated by British Airways, whereas the 1125 is operated by Iberia. For your 1900 ship departure, I think that the 1125 would probably be OK, although personally I would go for the earlier departure at 0925. I share your distaste for the 0710!
Also, can we catch a 11:35 am return flight on the 4th? Thank you in advance.
On the return, you should be guided by the cruise line about flights. But personally, I would have thought that an 1130 return flight (which is the time that I can see) should be fine given that your ship is scheduled to dock at 0500. The 1100 is operated by BA.

Maybe I wasn't clear the ship leaves at 7PM and returns 5AM.

I was looking at these two flight times because it's $100 cheaper per ticket ($400 for us). Yes the 9:30 AM Sunday flight and 1:25PM Friday flight would be ideal.......just trying to save few bucks if possible.

The 1100 is operated by BA.
Sorry, this should have read 1130.
I was looking at these two flight times because it's $100 cheaper per ticket ($400 for us). Yes the 9:30 AM Sunday flight and 1:25PM Friday flight would be ideal.......just trying to save few bucks if possible.
I was just a bit puzzled by this: I can see the 0925 at the same price as the 1125 - but maybe it's different if you're buying a through ticket.

This is set up for question and answers.

Hi Mike

We change planes in Boston (arr 1:10pm) and dep for San Juan 3:15pm.

Will we be alright for time to transfer terminals then checking in?

Hope that you can help

• 2 weeks later...
If your flight is canceled does the airline get you on the next flight.Or are you treated like a second class citizen and they put you on ignore?

Only IF there are seats available on the next flight for the ORIGINATING airline. VERY rarely will an airline place you on another carrier. It costs the airline CASH out of their pocket to do this. You will most likely have to fend for yourself a great deal. Cruise air generally flies you in the day of the cruise-not a lot of room for mishaps, weather delays or cancellations.

Please read about cruise air in this thread. Should answer most of your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those of you who were able to make a noon flight out of Ft. Lauderdale after leaving the Miami port, did you take the cruiseline's shuttle to the Ft. Lauderdale airport or did you have a private shuttle or car waiting for you at the pier. I'm afraid that if we use Carnival's shuttle to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, we'll have to wait for the shuttle to fill-up before we can leave. The flight I want to book is leaving at 12:15pm out of Ft. Lauderdale and ship is due to dock at 7a.m. or 8:00a.m. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Those of you who were able to make a noon flight out of Ft. Lauderdale after leaving the Miami port, did you take the cruiseline's shuttle to the Ft. Lauderdale airport or did you have a private shuttle or car waiting for you at the pier. I'm afraid that if we use Carnival's shuttle to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, we'll have to wait for the shuttle to fill-up before we can leave. The flight I want to book is leaving at 12:15pm out of Ft. Lauderdale and ship is due to dock at 7a.m. or 8:00a.m. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since you need to high-tail it up I-95 to FLL, I would recommend making your own transportation options. Waiting for the cruise shuttle will be time consuming as they load up the bus which could take 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

With a noon flight you don't have time to dawdle upon disembarkation, especially with a flight out of FLL. Every minute is precious to make this flight.

You might also want to look how many ships are in FLL that day as that can greatly impact things as well. If there are more than 2 ships in FLL that day, FLL will be busy and with you coming up from Miami, you'll be towards the tail end of the line which means more time wasted waiting in line.

Instead of worrying about making it up to FLL, what about looking into flights out of MIA or an early afternoon flight out of FLL? A missed flight now-a-days can prove to be very expensive & time consuming - can you miss that day of work if you miss the flight?

• 1 month later...
I think you have plenty of time if you do express walkoff.

We are going to san juan in Dec. Continental has flights leaving CRP at 6:35am (2 1/2 hr layover in houston) or 8:14 (58 min layover) We leave houston at 10:10. I know dh and I can make it terminal wise as the gates are close, but will our luggage make it? DH wants to take the early flight, but I am not a morning person. Thanks for info!

When flying from Puerto Rico to Dallas do we need to go through customs?

If so how does this work do we need to retreive our luggage and also bring that through customs? I am worried about missing our connection in Dallas:confused:

When flying from Puerto Rico to Dallas do we need to go through customs?

If so how does this work do we need to retreive our luggage and also bring that through customs? I am worried about missing our connection in Dallas:confused:

Puerto Rico is part of the United States of America. No customs required. The same is true of the US Virgin Islands.

We are heading down to Miami on a cruise in Oct. We don't have a problem with the flight down but return flight that is a problem. We are going on the Majesty of the Seas and plan on doing a self disembarkment. The boat docks @ 7 AM. Does anyone have a feel for how long it will take to get off the boat and then how long it takes to go from the Miami port to Fort Lauderdale airport. We are looking at a 12:05 pm flight and don't know if it is enough time. Thank you!!:p

• 3 weeks later...
We are heading down to Miami on a cruise in Oct. We don't have a problem with the flight down but return flight that is a problem. We are going on the Majesty of the Seas and plan on doing a self disembarkment. The boat docks @ 7 AM. Does anyone have a feel for how long it will take to get off the boat and then how long it takes to go from the Miami port to Fort Lauderdale airport. We are looking at a 12:05 pm flight and don't know if it is enough time. Thank you!!:p

We have done almost the exact timeline, involving the same cruise piers and airport, with no problem. Of course, nothing is a definite. What made the most difference for us, was the fact that we self-disembarked also. I believe that makes a world of difference. We did it once, and we would do it again if the later flight is much later or too costly. Good Luck!!!:)