Exploring Barcelona Before Boarding

LucynPeri

I think this is a general question re cruises in general, but I'm not sure... we are going on the NCL Gem out of Barcelona on November 9. If we arrive several hours before the ship leaves port, can we drop our bags and explore Barcelona a little? Or do you have to continue on with the embarkation process once you arrive at the ship? thanks for any info or insights

I think this is a general question re cruises in general, but I'm not sure... we are going on the NCL Gem out of Barcelona on November 9. If we arrive several hours before the ship leaves port, can we drop our bags and explore Barcelona a little? Or do you have to continue on with the embarkation process once you arrive at the ship? thanks for any info or insights

Subject to embarkation/sailing time. Sure! Some cruiselines actually have a shuttle bus!

Even if you only have time for a stroll along Las Ramblas it is well worth it!

Beware of pickpockets!

Enjoy!

In October, 2007 in Barcelona, we checked in for the Dream about noon at this very well organized port. Here is how it works. You hand over your luggage (room numbers on the attached luggage tags) to the workers as you enter the port building before you check in and see it again in your stateroom. After the check in where you receive your boarding card, you can either (1) leave the port building right away and return later, or (2) board the ship to drop off your hand baggage, put valuables in the room safe, freshen up, have a snack etc. and then leave the port building and return later.

The port building is not within particularly pleasant or easy walking distance of Ramblas (although it is possible and we saw others doing it), so watch for the blue shuttle bus or take a cab, which is pretty cheap.

I echo kazover40's advice that you should do several hours of strolling in and around Ramblas.

That is wonderful news... thanks for explaining it. I'm actually pretty surprised that you can go on and off the ship, it seems like it would be hard for them to account for everyone if people are going on and off. But great news on my end. We'll definitely check out las Ramblas... thanks!

They keep pretty good track of everyone, as your ID card is swiped on and off everytime.

Surprised someone else has not mentioned it yet, but I would strongly suggest arriving at least one day earlier. More time to tour, and reduce risk of missing boat.

Oops... if you are going Nov 9th, you probably could not change anything at this point anyways.

Let me add to notes above. If you can drop off ALL your bags when yo get to the pier, you can skip checking in totally. They will take your bags and you can continue with the same cab from the airport back into town. Saves even more time.

I assume that you are flying to Barcelona the same day as your ship departs. Good luck!

For those that book their air independently (we do) I really strongly recommend that you arrive in Barcelona the day before you cruise. So much can go askew with air travel. If you plan to arrive the day of departure, you must have a backup plan. That is - look at the next port of call and know exactly how to catch up with the ship. In Spain that is not too much of a problem because there are wonderful air, rail and bus connections to almost everywhere. But, may I suggest that there is so much to see and do in Barcelona (or "Barca" as the young kids call it), that it is worthwhile to invest in a hotel room for one night prior. Here is the rub, however. There are countless options in hotels/hostals at varying prices (from $85 and up) and locations. It is a whole different issue to find what is best for you, but the boards are full of opinions and advice. Whatever you do, take 10 minutes to relax, enjoy Barca and to toast your fellow Cruise Critic buddies that are living vicariously through your experience. Best wishes.

Archived