help me decide if I should take my scooter to Baltic cruise

sashas_mom

I've been renting scooters from carevacations, which has always been very convenient. HOwever, I recently finally bought my own. We are taking a Baltic cruise next year and I'm not sure if I should take my scooter, or a folding wheelchair . I'm just trying to figure out which would be easier to travel with since I've read how difficult Europe is for the disabled. I can walk, so staircases won't be a problem, however, my poor husband is the one that would have to carry my pride a go go up all those stairs. If you have experience with traveling and cruising the baltics I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

We have taken 2 Baltic cruises with both a Pride GoGo and a light weight fold-up wheel chair. You are right, Baltic cities are, for the most part, not very accessible.

Have pity on your poor DH and spare him from carrying 70+pounds of scooter up stairs for you. We use the scooter on board the ship for the ease of movement around and the independence of being able to go where you want, when you want to, with nobody needing to push you. We use the fold-up wheelchair for all trips ashore; it can fit in the trunk of most cabs and in the luggage compartment of busses used for shore excursions. The scooter ashore is worthless - no cored curbs, uneven cobblestone or brick streets in old cities like Talinn and the center of Stockholm. We understand since we were last in St Petersburg that there is a small company offering accessible tours. Suggest you thoroughly peruse this disabled board, using the search feature for cities you may be particularly interested in. I know that we, and others, have posted on our experiences in this region. The Hermitage in StPetersburg can be done with a fold up wheel chair with considerable difficulty because there are steps leading up to the main entrance, and there is only one small elevator in the museum to get from one floor to another.:) :)

Thank you so much for your answer. You said exactly what I was thinking of doing and this just confirms that I was right. Actually we have been in touch with Denrus and they will work with me and the wheelchair or scooter. I'm with you, I think I will leave the scooter on the ship and use the wheelchair for the tours.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Eileen

I used my small Shoprider Scootie on my Baltic cruise. I rode it over the cobblestones and it got me where I needed to go. The ride was rough but it worked. I did Copenhagen, Tallin and Helsinki on my own. My scooter easily handled the distances around town. The shuttle into Helsinki had a ramp. I used Denrus for two days in St Petersburg. At the Hermitage we used the Commadant's entrance in back with only 5-6 steps instead of 12-15 at the main entrance. There were four of us with Denrus and we all fit in the littlle elevator and were able to go right past the large tour groups. There were one or two steps at some of the cathedrals and the Denrus driver lifted my scooter up and down.

I would say it depends on how you plan on spending your day on shore whether to take a wheelchair or scooter. I never use a chair beause I have no pusher and I could not manage it alone. Curb cuts are a problem in a lot of places and I have driven in the street (close to the curb) until I found a means of getting on the sidewalk. I have asked many a stranger for a lift up onto a sidewalk and they have always been willing to help.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I've read previous posts by you, and you are an inspiration!!!

We're still up in the air about whether to take the scooter and deal with it (we will be doing a week on land before the cruise), or bring a wheelchair and rent a scooter for the ship (it's expensive, but might be a lot easier on my husband). I've forwarded your answer to him. It's really up to him at this point, since he will be the one having to deal with lifting it, etc.

Thanks again....you go girl!!!

Eileen

Archived