Is it just me???

Little Miss

The number of posts by a poster's name can be very misleading because there are a lot of people with very high numbers who are a great asset to cruise critic as they consistently post very helpful information about cruising.

On the other hand, there is a section of cruise critic that is essentially a support group for posters with various problems. The majority of posters on that forum post a lot more frequently, but those posts are not reflected in their post count.

Cruise Critic gives us a powerful tool in that we can ignore all posts from any poster we choose.

Someone mentioned the "ignore" feature. In a few extreme cases I've used it, but it's hard to do. First, if that person is quoted you see it anyway. And second, it's hard to follow a thread if you have to skip several posts. Besides, no matter how you feel about a poster, curiousity gets the better of you half the time;).

Yes, I've got two people in my "ignore list" right now, and am thinking of adding a 3rd! :D But I agree with your observations, Heather. :)

On a related note, what does the "Buddy list" do for you? I started one with my DW's username, and nothing seems to happen any different than when she wasn't there!

I don't think the objection was so much to the posting of links as to the tone of the language used in the post. Links are fine - it's how the poster presents it.

Gizmo ~ there is nothing wrong with posting a link to another thread. I do it all the time, especially to Ports of Call and Roll Calls, if I think the link will be useful to the person asking the question. I do it in such a way that I hope I'm letting the other poster know I'm trying to be helpful. After all, that's what we are truly all about, helping one another.

If you are posting links in this manner, it's perfectly fine. There is a difference in trying to be helpful and trying to be sarcastic. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate on a message board where you can only see words. Being helpful is always encouraged!

Host Anne & Golfette - you really have got it!

At the risk of getting totally banned from Cruise Critic, I think it is time I owned up to being the OP as some of you are now starting to (wrongly) guess who the OP is! I actually thought you would guess as I posted and agreed with myself at one point.:rolleyes:

Well, who is Addict? I have been posting about 20 months - not many posts but I do log on every day and read avidly about cruising to get as much information as I can. Only took our first cruise last Xmas, took the second Transatlantic one in March, have booked Noordam for this Xmas (with great friends made through Cruise Critic and our first cruise) and have a Panama Canal cruise booked for April next year. So you can see, well and truly hooked in a very short space of time.:D

My observations are purely my own (absolutely nothing to do with Park West or parking in San Diego), although you will see by the interest in this thread that a lot of people are of the same opinion! And, no doubt you will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be mostly those with not many posts that feel more strongly about this being an issue.

Peggynfrank - thanks for the supportive comments, although I too think "get a life" was a little bit strong and not in the spirit of my original post.

I see a lot of posters have provided prime examples of what I was trying to say. As Host Anne says, this has nothing to do with providing a link being a problem, the problem only comes when it is done in a sarcastic manner. Or the "raised eyebrows" smiley being used to convey the message "oh here we go again" - that is how it comes across (in my opinion).

And consequently, this is how my own post tally is not nearly as high as I would like it to be. Yes, I am an adult (and a grandmother, and very vocal)!:D But who wants to be shot down in flames for asking a question? Hence the reason for "hiding" behind an alias. But I cannot sit by and let people wrongly accuse other posters. So Copper 10-8, I think I DO need the witness protection program please!!!!

I will add that the very vast majority of posters here are VERY helpful and I have gained most of my knowledge of cruising and cruise lines from these boards - it is just the few that think they know it all and can't resist the sarcastic comments. Someone else before me said, if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all!:D

Thank you to Host Walt and Host Anne for letting the thread continue. I think you will all agree that it has been interesting to say the least.

Thanks for letting us know. :)

There is absolutely no reason you should be flamed. I know it happens on occasion, but for the most part the folks here are pretty nice.

I think it is often the "tone" that may be misinterpreted, though Sandy indicated she was "yelled at" by another poster using all caps, and that's just wrong. She should not have been made to feel that there was anything wrong in what she posted about her parking problem.

Sometimes, it's just easier to step back and take another look - as I mentioned above, there are times when I re-read my own posts and think, "Wow, that sounds a bit snarky" or "Oh, I hope that doesn't sound condescending". It happens sometimes. :)

Thanks again for having the courage to fill us in. I, for one appreciate it... and don't worry about the folks here, they're "pussycats" compared to some board posters I've come across. :D

Gary -

It may be, but I think it was the parking in San Diego (or lack of getting it comp'ed when it should have been) that started this whole thread.... :)

Hi ekerr .... I had no idea. I read the original post and didn't get the drift.

Hope you're doing well:).

I appreciate that you chose to confront my 10/31 post head on. Better late than never.

What may not have been apparent to you was that my posts on the original Park West thread represented 22% of all the posts and as I said, been there/done that, to death. And I sure had.:D

I am sorry you did not ask, inferred my intentions and took it personally.

Why does this post not surprise me.:mad:

Well, this thread has proved my point, although I would doubt Serendipity would agree with me. Back at around post 39 I said that I'd rather ask a question and hope for a few responses than to wade through all the responses on the similar threads that I might find using the search function. So many threads go so far afield or are filled with side issues. Even though they make for amusing reading sometimes, wading through all the verbiage becomes a major waste of time. If the question is not answered in the first few responses, I just move on.

Hi Little Miss - I agree with you 100% I avoid this site as much as I can also - only if something refers to me and my cruise or I have a question and can get a straight answer will I use it. This last few months is the first time I got on here as I did not know about it and have been on 9 cruises - we have fortunately met some wonderful people whom we will sail with on the World Cruise in Jan 08 - that was a plus....

I am not sure I would bother checking in on here next cruise... it is really a pain.and people can be quite rude and ignorant to you ... I have been bitten a couple of times... not my cup of tea..

Glad you spoke your mind.. good for you

Enjoy your cruising

Frankie in Toronto

How do you do Addict and/or Little Miss. I am very glad to meet you in both your personas. You said something that needed to be said - and you said it very well. Whatever transpires on this thread from here on in doesn't really matter.

Cheers!

Come on now. All us Cruise Fanatics have to stick together. We still consider ourselves novices as our 6th and 7th cruises are booked for next year. One for the family. ABSOLUTELY, ONE OF THE RULES SHOULD BE TO ALWAYS CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE GANG PLANK. Ask questions, answer questions to the best of your knowledge. Remember, not everyone will interpret questions or answers the same. Anyway, get involved and help make everyone a cruise fanatic:D . They will appreciate it even if they don't let you know. PLEASE MAKE MARCH HURRY AND GET HERE!!!!!!!!!!!:p

I must say that I am in agreement with the original poster. I don't mean this to sound harsh to anyone so please just take it at face value...not all of us have the time to do the research that it would take to see the other and previous posts...and that is why we ask questions.

This is my take on this situation and I do not know how it is on the other boards because I have only been interested in HAL, but it seems like many of the people on here are like a little club, and if you aren't part of the club you don't get replies on your posts or if you do they are short and "should have known" type posts.

I have had many questions and have had many of them answered completely because of the knowledge of the people on these boards, but recently I have felt that I do not even want to post anymore because of the "tude" the comes with replies.

I must say that I just signed on to the roll call for my upcoming sailing and the people on there are like a breath of fresh air. When I was reading through it I was thinking to myself "is this Cruise Critic?" because the people on that roll call seem very genuine and there is definitely no attitude there.

As I said, I'm not meaning to offend anyone by this post...I am just sharing my feelings in agreement with the original postee. Actually I have wanted to mention something like this in the past but just didn't have the nerve...so thank you for taking the time to do it for me!!

Addict, thank you for introducing your real self:) . I think you should have been comfortable posting as yourself to begin with. After all, very few people here really know each other at all. Most of us could meet in a room somewhere and we'd have no idea who we are.

If I have something to say, I'll say it as me and let the chips fall where they may. Heaven knows they have often enough! But somehow I've made it through.

It reminds me of those emails that say if you don't forward it terrible luck will befall you ... never does:) . Same here. People will flame a comment here or there, but for the most part we're friends again the next time around. Not always, but then you can't get along with all the people all the time no matter where you are;) .

But which is the raised eyebrow smiley?

This is my take on this situation and I do not know how it is on the other boards because I have only been interested in HAL, but it seems like many of the people on here are like a little club, and if you aren't part of the club you don't get replies on your posts or if you do they are short and "should have known" type posts.

That is my impression of the HAL board sometimes, as well. I am active on the CC Alaska and photography forums, and the atmosphere on those two boards is nothing like it is here. Those forums are consistently pleasant and informative. Hostility and snarkiness are virtually unknown.

If people want to form a clicque, there are so many ways to do that with blogs, MySpace, etc. Maybe some of that stuff could be taken to those kind of internet venues, so that this board could fulfill its function as friendly, informative, passenger-centered, place that tolerates all questions and opinions, including those that are outside the inner group's views.

Archived