Cruise line lost alcohol you purchased in port?

racegirl9

If you buy alcohol in port and it is turned into Princess for safekeeing until the end of your cruise, how can you be sure that you will get it? With that many deliveries, there has to be some that get lost or delivered to the wrong cabin?

I ask becuse we found a great deal on Grey Goose while in the Cayman Islands a few years ago. We are going back this November and want to get more than one bottle this time. The liquor store did not allow you to take your purchases, they tendered all purchases to the ship themselves. We did recieve our bottle at the end of that cruise but I was wondering what would happen if this time our purchases didn't make it to our cabin at the end of the week??

Anyone have any experiences with this??:o

If you buy alcohol in port and it is turned into Princess for safekeeing until the end of your cruise, how can you be sure that you will get it? With that many deliveries, there has to be some that get lost or delivered to the wrong cabin?

I ask becuse we found a great deal on Grey Goose while in the Cayman Islands a few years ago. We are going back this November and want to get more than one bottle this time. The liquor store did not allow you to take your purchases, they tendered all purchases to the ship themselves. We did recieve our bottle at the end of that cruise but I was wondering what would happen if this time our purchases didn't make it to our cabin at the end of the week??

Anyone have any experiences with this??:o

I really can say that I have never had any trouble with purchasing liquor in the Caribbean nor have I heard of anybody that did not get their liquor delivered to their cabin at the end of the cruise. :D I don't understand why you would buy liquor in GrandCayman. Is that the only port where Grey Goose is available. :confused: I'm sure that you must be aware of the fact that if you buy in Grand Cayman customs only will allow you to bring in one bottle per person. If you buy in St Thomas, you can bring in 5 bottles per person. Also remember that you cannot carry liquids of any kind on an airplane when you come back from the cruise. :( From what I have heard and read on these boards, if you do buy your liquor in St Thomas, not only will they deliver it to the ship, they will pack it very well so that you can put it into checked baggage on a flight. No guarantees that it will arrive at your destination safely, however. Lots of luck!!! :rolleyes:

I have been on 5 or 6 cruises in the last few years where, I bought liquor on-shore and have never had problems in receiving it on-board. If you are are nervous, just keep your receipt and I am sure they will make good. The good thing is that Princess has a tendency to deliver after your last port day and not the last night of the cruise. This would give you time to try to make things right.

howard, racegirl mentioned that she would be buying in the Cayman's, that usually means she is on a Western Caribbean run which doesn't stop in St Thomas.

Racegirl, I recommend that you check out the liquor prices on-board ship before you arrive in Grand Cayman. Many times the prices are similiar to the prices at the port, so that may alleviate your concern about receiving your purchase.

well I am the first I guess... a few years ago we bought a few different bottles of booze in Ixtapa, we dutifully tagged it at security and they kept it until the last night, supposedly...

Well the last night we did not receive it, we called pursurs desk and were told they would track it down. They never called. We called back at midnight and again they said they found it and would deliver it to our cabin.

Next morning still no booze... another call and they were trying to track it down. Well we weren't so upset that they lost it we were upset that they lied.

So we trek down to the pursurs' desk, join the long lines and ask what the next step is with regards to our booze. Luckily we had the receipt and they refunded the booze costs. But we had picked up something special we can't find anywhere else. (well it did force us to go back to Ixtapa the following year).

they didn't know what happened to the booze. I assume it was delivered to the wrong room. and the recipients just packed and said yahoo, lets party.

So keep your receipt just in case. Now I may even take a pic of the booze too and have the security guys smile as they take the booze away :eek:

Archived