Adventure of the Seas October 28, 2007

I just returned from the Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise on October 28th. Before I left I read the message boards regarding passenger behavior and thought to myself it has to be exaggerated. Well, it wasn’t. I am posting a review of my experience on the board for you to read. As an FYI it wasn’t just my family who felt this way. It was the topic of the mix and mingle party as well as the crown and anchor welcome back party. I wish I believed my fellow cruise critic members and changed my itinerary. I am so disappointed. I did log an official complaint in the ship log as did many of my fellow passengers. Some examples of the poor behavior we experienced from the local passengers were:

People wore jeans to the dining room, kept pushing the door closed button the elevators so you could not get on, budged in line at all the buffets and disembarkations, talked through each show in the theatre, did not say excuse me when they ran into you, wore clothes (not suits) into the swimming pool, took over the outdoor pool, and as I found out from the crew members don’t believe in tipping. One of the most frustrating parts was the lack of parental supervision of their children. On the way to the dining room one night a 12 year old boy honesty ran into at full force an 80 year old man and knocked him down. The boy and his adult friends that were with him laughed when the man fell down!

I spoke with over 100 couples during this cruise at various events. These couples were from the continental US. At the beginning of the week I think we were all trying to not rock the boat and say anything to the staff about our issues (don’t want to be considered stereotyping people), but by the end of the cruise many made official complaints in the ships log. Before that we made verbal complaints to customer service. However, the crew did nothing to remedy the situation. A general announcement about guest conduct, enforcing the jeans rule in the dining room, etc. would have made a small difference and shown the crew cared.

Instead, they hired musicians that played only PR music (not Caribbean themed), had segregated activities for the Spanish speakers, and made sure to have the PR cruisers shout at the top of their lungs some PR cheer at shows, dinner, or on the promenade. If a cruise line ever wanted to make me feel unwanted this was it.

My goal is to not start a culture argument here, but would like to inform everyone of our experience before they book this route.

This is an ongoing problem and you will get a lot of flack because of this post. I posted on a similar thread that this was our experience in 2004 and no amount of postings will stop the problem. We did report to RCCL and I'm sure other people on our cruise, which was after Thankgiving in 2004. If it hasn't changed in 3 years, I don't see future changes coming.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Some of what you are describing is really reprehensible behavior (i.e. laughing when the 12-year-old knocked an elderly man down). Some of what you are saying I am not so sure I agree with. Why would they not play Puerto Rican music and have some separate activities for Spanish speakers? The ship is leaving from Puerto Rico and often approximately half of the passengers are Spanish speaking. I was glad they had services and activities geared towards the Spanish speaking passengers when I was on AOS.

I do hope that the crew becomes more proactive in curtailing some of the bad behavior that you documented but I also hope that U.S. passengers travelling out of Spanish speaking countries do not expect the other passengers to have the same set of values/behaviors they have and do not expect RCL to cater exclusively to English speakers. There are plenty of other ships in RCL's fleet to pick from if one has diffculty coexisting with large groups from a very different culture.

Having done that cruise myself, I sort of understand what you're saying, but the loyalty to the home port thing did not bother me too much, and as for people pushing the door close button, I'm not sure how you intend to have RCCL remedy that short of putting designated elevator operators on every elevator. What they CAN do something about are the other issues you mentioned. The lack of regard for rules, dress codes and overall manners can be addressed by simply kicking offensive cruisers off the ship. I doubt it would take many incidents like that for word to spread that they are serious about maintaining at least a modicum of elegance and class on their cruise line.

If there was a lot of rude behavior, that is unfortunate. Your post does seemed to be tinged with a bit of prejudice, though. There is no rule against jeans in the dining room. There is nothing wrong with having activities geared toward Spanish-speaking passengers, if there are a large number on the ship. I'm not sure exactly what distinguishes PR music from Caribbean music, but there is nothing wrong with the ship showcasing local culture of it's home port. They often do the same with ships out of FL, TX, New Orleans, etc.

I could be wrong, but I sense that you started with a negative image of the Puerto Rican people/culture and therefore were more apt to notice any rude behavior in order to reinforce your prejudice.

We did the same cruise just a year ago. While most people disagree and think your exaggerating, having been there you realize what actually does happen. Your review was dead on to what happens on the AOS. It's too bad families look forward to such a great ship only to depart very upset. We actually invested in a suite only to have a group leaning on our door bell during the night, a great “hang out” place I guess. I’m sure some people have a great time on this ship but we will never do it again. Sorry for your experience also.

MakinGpld...2 weeks ago I was totally on your side. I thought the people who made comments like mine were prejudice. All I can say in my defense is that you haven't been on that ship. I suggest you take the cruise so you can find out for yourself. I am not being prejudice, but pointing out the culture differences that created frustration on the ship.

MakinGpld...2 weeks ago I was totally on your side. I thought the people who made comments like mine were prejudice. All I can say in my defense is that you haven't been on that ship. I suggest you take the cruise so you can find out for yourself. I am not being prejudice, but pointing out the culture differences that created frustration on the ship.

I suppose it's the way you phrased certain things and some of the issues you complained about that made me feel that way about your post. Rude behavior is one thing, but compaining about the fact that they played PR music and had activities for Spanish-speakers and saying that they "took over" the pool smacks of prejudice.

Everybody is prejudice. People have varying awareness of their stereotypes and different levels of veracity with which they hold these beliefs, but it is impossible for someone to not be prejudiced.

There seems to be only one remedy to this ongoing problem. Only book the AOS when rates are high, i.e. middle of summer or vacation weeks such as President's Week in February.

Actually you only have to book early even if you are booking a high season week and you will still get a low price. March break weeks and other high demand weeks often start within $100 of all other weeks for many cabin categories. You just have to book when the rates first come out.

It is the offseason weeks that seem to be the ones that they try to sell off cheap.

Was this a Quincecera (sp) cruise? I heard that can make a big difference.

Was this a Quincecera (sp) cruise? I heard that can make a big difference.

I am suspicious as to how much of a difference this makes versus whether or not the ship is not selling out and offers locals a large price break. I think the "friction" is likely higher if there is a large percentage of locals who received cheap fares than if there is a Quinceañera (special birthday celebration for girls turning 15) occurring.

From reading the posts I think that´s the point here.

It´s cultural differences and what one consider rude another culture might consider normal behaviour.

When I read about "culture differences create frustration" I start to think that expectations of the frustrated people might be wrong.

The cruise line we are all sailing on is named "Royal Caribbean International" and I´m stressing the International here, because that is what RCI tries to push. They are marketing more and more in other countries than the US and trying hard to get an International spread of people on their ships.

JMHO

Im so sorry about your cruise. When we were on the AOS in March, we saw none of this going on. Actually the rudest people were from Utah and Colorado. Maybe we were just lucky, but I cant wait for our next cruise on the Adventure.

GO Bucs

Makingold, if it helps you to know this I was sailing with 2 ladies in their 30's who are from the Dominican Republic and speak fluent Spanish. They registered a complaint as well.

I don't think that's his point. He is not denying that bad behavior by Puerto Ricans occurred. He was simply pointing out that you expressed some degree of prejudice in the manner in which you wrote your post (i.e. appearing upset that Puerto Rican music was played). I happen to agree with him. This does not make you a bad person and does not make it untrue that there was agreatdeal of bad behavior during your cruise by Puerto Rican passengers.

I was getting off as you were getting on. After reading all the negative views of traveling from PR I almost changed my plans for AOS. I'm so glad I didn't. Everything was great and even while trying to find things wrong, I could not. The PR people on board that I met or had interaction with on board were all friendly and considerate. I can not wait to take another cruise out of PR.

I am suspicious as to how much of a difference this makes versus whether or not the ship is not selling out and offers locals a large price break. I think the "friction" is likely higher if there is a large percentage of locals who received cheap fares than if there is a Quinceañera (special birthday celebration for girls turning 15) occurring.

But my theory is that the Quinceanera cruise promotes more groups on board then might normally be. The sales might entice a single family to take advantage of the price break, where the party will be huge family groups which I would think would add to the takeover feel.

But my theory is that the Quinceanera cruise promotes more groups on board then might normally be. The sales might entice a single family to take advantage of the price break, where the party will be huge family groups which I would think would add to the takeover feel.

That could be true.

Fortunately it has not happened yet but let's please keep this thread civil. The last thread pertaining to this type of situation got pulled due to bad mouthing and name calling.

Tim

It's more like the past 50 threads regarding this type of situation on the AOS were pulled, Tim :eek:

###

Archived