Mariner of the Seas questions

g8trzz

I have been the lucky one picked to plan our family reunion for the summer of 2008. Everyone voted to go on a Caribbean cruise. To be honest, I really wanted to go with Princess as that is the cruiseline I am most familiar with. I went on RCL Majesty of the Seas for a short 4 day cruise and I was very unimpressed. But, I realize it was an older ship and thought I would give RCL another try. Can anyone tell me if the Mariner of the Seas ship is geared more for older people or is it a young, party crowd ship? I tried to find how old the Mariner is but did not have any luck. I am looking at the Eastern Caribbean cruise for next summer.

thanks

g8trzz

She was launched in 2003. We were on her in August and she is a beautiful ship. They just put all new bedding I believe at the end of April, the new bedding was great. I could not tell you about the Eastern itinerary, we were on the Western, but have been on the western with another cruiseline which would be almost the same and it was very nice. All I can say is I strongly recommend the Mariner!

Mariner is definitely a newer and much larger ship. She has an ice skating rink, golf course, rock climbing wall, two specialty restaurants, the Royal Promenade, an adults only solarium, much larger staterooms than the Majesty, and lots more. You'll find activities onboard for all ages!

I have been on the Mariner twice (Eastern and Western) -- and it is my favorite ship. I have been on 15 RCCL cruise and the ship you were on is a "classic" compared to the Mariner. The activities on the Mariner are focused for all ages -- the ice skating, rock wall, golf, entertainment are great. If you have any questions e-mail me at s1magruder@comcast.net (Put Mariner in the subject line.)

We love the Mariner and can't wait until she comes to LA!

It's a mix of all ages, not a "party ship" by any means. You will enjoy your vacation, there is so much to do on her. The eastern itenerary is a good choice!

Happy cruising :D

Agree with the above posts, I think you will enjoy the ship. She is in great shape with activites for all. Have done the eastern and western on her the last 2 years and had a great time. I have friends that either prefer the eastern or the western. I liked the example a friend of mine gave, the eastern seems to be more shopping orriented where the western is more water/beach activites. And that's not to say there's not plenty to do on each intenerary, but I tend to agree with that comment.

Have fun.

Dave

I was on the Monarch and then the Mariner. I was unimpressed with the Monarch and LOVED the Mariner. I think it is a perfect ship for a group. I think everyone will find something to do. You could also organize some games/board games/card games to play in the game room or in a public area. We saw many people doing this.'

I'm jealous, I can't get my family to join us on our Independence cruise in '09.

I was on the Monarch and then the Mariner. I was unimpressed with the Monarch and LOVED the Mariner. I think it is a perfect ship for a group. I think everyone will find something to do. You could also organize some games/board games/card games to play in the game room or in a public area. We saw many people doing this.'

I'm jealous, I can't get my family to join us on our Independence cruise in '09.

It's hard to compare the Monarch to the Mariner, you can't, it's like apples and oranges. I always get bummed when I (rarely) hear someone did not enjoy the Monarch. She's a pretty special ship to a lot of people!

I agree with you about the Mariner, it's a great ship and there is always something to do for someone. maybe one day you can give the Monarch another try! (can you tell I am a Monarch cheerleader?! :p)

We absolutely love Mariner and especially the Eastern cruise. There is something for every age. We are trying to have a family reunion on Mariner next year too. Ages range from 6 months (by cruise time) to 95 years.

I can't imagine anyone not having a great time on Mariner. I hope your planning goes well and I know you won't be disappointed.

I am so impressed with all of the replies I have been receiving. I appreciate it so much!!! The Eastern Carribean sounds more enticing than ever since someone said there was more shopping :) Actually, I will probably end up taking a poll and would be happy to go with either. I just cant for the life of me understand why Princess does not go to the Carribean in the summer. (7 day cruises). I know that if we decide to go with the Mariner I would arrange for the traditional seating for dinner. Could anyone tell me how they would rate the quality of the food? Again, thanks to everyone for all of the information!!

g8trzz

The food, to be honest, was like good to excellent banquet food. You know, you go to a wedding or other big event, and they serve you something they've made for hundreds of people at once. It's kind of a dice roll - sometimes you get something that's amazing, and other times, it's bland and mass produced. I'm not complaining. The stuff that's amazing is truly delicious. The rest - well, it's food, and it's served in a beautiful atmosphere with (usually) really great service.

The waiters will make their recommendations every night, and I found when I went with those, I usually had better luck. There was a garlic tiger shrimp dish, and a few other fish dishes that were truly memorable. I enjoyed the teeny lobster tails that came on the next to last night, but the shrimp that came with it was not prepared as well. I've read on these boards that the "lobster night" might go away anyway. There were steak dishes that people in our party really enjoyed. Then there was the mahi mahi tempura, which sounded amazing, but the tempura on it was goopy and mealy and kind of disappointing and the sauce tasted a little bit like something you'd get in a frozen diet meal.

Overall, I've heard the food on Princess is better, but it beats cooking and cleaning up myself, and we enjoy all of the other amenities RCCL offers, so we're planning to go back!

PS-did I mention that we loved the Mariner? It's an amazing ship for people of all ages.

The Mariner Eastern is a great cruise and the first cruise I ever took. It is just a beautiful ship and your family will truly enjoy it.

Here is a link to my photos from our November 2005 Cruise.

Mariner Photo Link: http://travel.webshots.com/album/518367742FumcWQ

Enjoy

Dave

Great photos! Thanks for letting us take a peek!:)

I am so impressed with all of the replies I have been receiving. I appreciate it so much!!! The Eastern Carribean sounds more enticing than ever since someone said there was more shopping :) Actually, I will probably end up taking a poll and would be happy to go with either. I just cant for the life of me understand why Princess does not go to the Carribean in the summer. (7 day cruises). I know that if we decide to go with the Mariner I would arrange for the traditional seating for dinner. Could anyone tell me how they would rate the quality of the food? Again, thanks to everyone for all of the information!!

g8trzz

Hey you may want to check out the "All things Mariner of The Seas" thread on these boards. You should be able to find out all kinds of information there. The members here are great about posting what they know. This thread may be a place to find out all you need or want to know. Maybe even some things you don't want to know.;) We'll be on the Mariner the week before Christmas and I can't wait!

FYI - We did the Mariner in May for a family trip. We were celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary ( I won't say their ages, LOL), hubby & mine 10th and brother/wife/15 yo neice went. EVERYONE had a super time. Like someone said, it's what you make of it. if you want to party you can, if you want quiet you can get that too. And my niece LOVED the teenager things.

We did the Western and absoulely rave about the swimming with Sting Rays in grand Caymen and especially the swimming with dolphins in Cozumel. Believe me I did my share of shopping in Cozumel! YEAH SILVER! Things are much more affordable on the western cruise from what I can tell. We are scheduled for the Eastern on Mariner the beginning of March (can't wait!!!!).

Have a super time and make sure whichever trip you schedule to go and join the Roll Call and Meet and Mingle.

Erika

Our very first cruise was on the beautious Mariner. Coincidentally there were two large tables near us in the dining room that were filled with a family reunion. The first night they all wore T-shirts that stated their family name and "reunion". They appeared to have a great time.

There is something for almost everyone on Mariner. Yes, in the summer there will be lots of kids, but they were never in the way. They all have their own activities. I was so impressed with how kids and teens dressed up for formal night.

Just curious, you said you were not impressed with Majesty of the Seas. Did you sail on her before her renovation?

I must confess that I envy you for being able to have a family reunion on a cruise ship. That has been my dream since our first cruise on mariner, but I just can't get my family members together at the same time. I can't even get my own sons together because of their work. I hope your family reunion does work out and you all have a great time. You couldn't ask for a better ship than Mariner and either Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries will be fun-filled and relaxing.

I actually went on the Majesty of the Seas about 4 years ago with my mom. I am glad to hear that they have renovated it, because it left a bad taste in my mouth for RCL. The ship just looked old and the food was horrible. I hate to keep throwing Princess name out, but we went on one of their older ships, "Diamond", and it was incredible.

After talking to you guys I can say I really am excited to propose the Mariner to my group. I am going to include the Eastern and Western itineraries and go with the majority. There will probably be about 60 of us from age 11 to 85.

Oh and thanks for the "Mariner " site that was recommended to go to. I am heading that way now!!!

g8trzz

Archived