Cruise ships as emergency housing

Never heard of it. I'll become homeless if that helps!

The closest I have heard is during the Falklands War (England vs. Argentina) in the 70's or 80's, England took the QE2 and turned it into a troop ship. The covered all the carpets with plywood and shipped thousands of troops to South America.

I brought this subject up on another thread. I think it is a grand idea. Cruiseships are going to be used for the Super Bowl, so why not help the homeless. There has also been talk about volunteers/missionaries taking out of service cruiseships to third world countries to minister and doctor those in need.

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/110200/spo_1102000050.shtml

Durring Andrew RCI used Nordic Empress to house Company employees who were homeless. She arrived the Tue. after the storm. (a day leter than sched.) The next cruise was cancelled. She departed again on Fri.

According to "Under Crown and Anchor" by Kolltveit and Maxtone-Graham, those passengers who were waiting for flights were also allowed to remain onboard, as well as those who had arrived to take the cancelled cruise.

They were allowed onboard.

The ship provided fresh water and ice to both Company shore personell, and area hospitals. The ship used up so much water that she had to go out

to sea from Wed. night till Thur morning so that the water makers could be run.

John

Archived