Eco Hike in St. John

loveJake

Any body every take this Princess ship tour? Transfer by boat, hike the trail, stop at the beach for a dip and end up at an old plantation then board the boat and return. We are walkers in the mountains at home and also climbed Dunns River Falls last year, so I know we can take the hike. Want to know it there is enough to be interesting, and also how long is a dip in the water. Thanks to anyone that can help.

It sounds like the Reef Bay Trail Hike in St John. To me, how interesting any tour is depends on the guide. Both times I've done this hike, the park rangers made it very interesting with their explanations of all the things along the trail. The first time I went, the ranger encouraged us to try the wild fruits growing along the trail, and she even brought some that are too difficult to open out in the wild. The dip is about 20 minutes. Hope a park ranger is your guide - they're the best!

As the op said, it sounds exactly like the Reef Bay Trail that the US Park Service does. We did it, and it wasn't a difficult trail, but in the heat and humidity it was a little more challenging than I originally anticipated.

The end of the hike was really great w/ the swim. Bring flip flops in your bag so you don't get sand in your tennis shoes at the beach. Also, check out the old plantation house ceilings and floors - you'll see the current residents are bats and crabs. :)

Thanks for moving my post.

Thanks for the replys, I think I will keep this excursion. Really wanted to see St. John since we hafve already been to St. Thomas 3 times. Wanted more then just the beach so this sort of gives you both. We are going in Decemberso maybe the humidity won't be as bad. One more question, do we need bug spray?

loveJake, how much are they charging for this tour?

I am a bug magnet, and didn't use bug spray on this hike. Maybe the bug spray everybody else was wearing kept the bugs away from me????

I've only done the hike on Labor Day, since it's only offered during the week, and I have a M-F, 9-5. It's shady for the most part, so it wasn't too hot for me until you get about 2/3 the way (Petroglyphs). The last part takes you UPHILL in the sun, so that's pretty hot, but the beach is less than 10 minutes away, so just as you're about to faint - RELIEF!

I'll be there in Jan 08, and plan on the Eco Tour too. Princess charges $82, which seems like a lot, but that's the tour we want to do, so...

Anyway, besides the hiking we are looking forward to the beach part, but I see someone posted you are only there a short time. Is this everyone's experience? How long do you get at the beach with the Princess tour?

Thanks!

Archived