Why Cruise to Asia?

editor@cruisecritic

Why Cruise Asia?  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Why Cruise Asia?

• Asia is so huge -- and has so many diverse cultures -- it's a good way to sample them all.
    • The ancient history fascinates me.
    • For a first-timer the range of languages and customs is intimidating; cruises offer support.
    • The chance to visit places like Vietnam and Hong Kong is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
    • You can balance Western comforts onboard with exotic adventures on shore.
    • I want to see a vast range of places -- and I'm way past the backpacking thing.

We from "Down Under" look @ Asia as our backyard and have no qualms about travelling there. Our children go to Bali & Thialand for cheap breaks, families also travel extensively throughout the region. Due to proximity, value,great shopping & word of mouth recommendations, it is a great place to holiday. As Americans look to cruising close by to Mexico, Sth America & the Caribean, so do we to Sth East Asia & it is great that Princess is now basing Sun & Dawn Princess in Australian waters.

PAST CRUISES

1987 Fairstar- Sth Pacific

2001 Super Star Virgo- Sth East Asia

2 Star Cruises 99-2000 out of Singapore Plus several land based holidays

Hong Kong, K.L.,Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Singapore.

Next Asia Cruise on RCI Legend May 2009 Singapore To Dubai Via Thailand K.L. Bombay Goa

• 2 weeks later...

I am not at all surprised that Trish posted three separate accounts of her trip! Having shared the same itinerary, I can honestly say that I felt I had been on at least three different holidays. Firstly a three day pre-embarkation stay in Bangkok (Landmark Hotel - fantastic) which saw us wading through the River Kwai on elephants; sharing the Burma to Bangkok train with goats and chickens; visiting the most beautiful Temples. Our many Ports of calls on the Princess including Singapore where we had Singapore Slings at Raffles; the emotional sail away from Hong Kong with the spectacular light show from the receding shoreline; the simplistic beauty of women in conical hats working in the paddy fields of Vietnam; the chance encounter with the 81 year old USA veteran returning to Okinawa for the first time since the war. Whilst others in the group listened to the official Guide, I listened to this white haired old man, as he told me his story of what it was really like, the true unsanitised version of war. I felt honoured that he shared his memories with me whilst other hurried past totally unaware of the living history before them. I introduced him to the Japanese guide who was fascinated by his tales and asked me to take a photo of them together to put into the Museum.

My own personal challenge was negotiating the near vertical pathway and stairs leading to the Great Wall of China, but oh the joy of actually standing on the wall and drinking in the views! This is merely a flavour of our adventures ......

Mary R.

QUOTE=Animated-one;12328498]Sorry about the above 3 postings. When I hint the submit button the page had I just spent 1 hour typing out went to error page! So I quickly hint the back button to retrieve my page...I guess I was too eager to make sure my work wouldn't be lost!:o Again, sorry!

• 11 months later...
We have travelled most of the world but not to Asia. Asia is not a place that ever interested me but my husband feels it is a place he must see.

It would be selfish of me to deny this and so we have booked on the Diamond Princess for April 2009, Guess what ? I am looking forward to it and perhaps because it is on a cruise I don't feel as intimidated by the destination.

Kathleen.

I am interested in Asia but also am going for my husband who will enjoy all of the container ports we will berth in. We are on the same cruise as you and as I do not enjoy flying it is a good way to taste different countries with only 2 flights. I love coming back to the ship each day. Another plus is if you don't like the place you never have to return. If you love it you can return for longer. This cruise will be a real adventure for us all. Lynda

See you in April 2009

We have just returned from Diamond Princess Beijing to Bangkok cruise which left Xingang on October 6. It was fabulous from beginning to end. We spent three days in Beijing pre cruise and loved every minute of it. Did I ever think my DH and I would climb a section of the Great Wall? Or stand in Tiananmen Square? Or explore the Forbidden City and The Temple of Heaven? No is the answer to these questions. Every POC was a dream and the the three days post-cruise in Bangkok was wonderful. We are 60 and 63 respectively and we weren't afraid to venture out in the evening in Beijing and Bangkok. People were friendly and helpful. We took taxis in Beijing, bartered in the Silk Market and rode around Bangkok in a tuck-tuck. Why did we choose to cruise for the very first time? Because I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and I wanted the safety net of decent medical care if required. Thankfully, I didn't need it. I stayed very well throughout. I ate in local restaurants in Beijing and Bangkok and also in the POC where luch was provided as part of our excursions. We loved this cruise. It will remain in our memories for always.

• 7 months later...

I was stationed in Yokosuka Japan for 3 1/2 years with the Navy back in the mid 1950,s and have wanted to return for many years but have not had a chance to do so.

I have cruised to many places over the years but never to Asia. I plan to take a cruise to Japan soon. In the 12 years that I was in the Navy, Japan was the best by far. I know that Japan has changed over the years but I believe that the people are still much like they were when I was there.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We are booked on Sun Princess leaving Sydney, Australia in March 2011 heading to Asia. We noticed the ship doesn't have any shore tours to The Great Wall, Terra Cotta Warriors etc, have you any suggestions as to how we would see these sights and which port is the best for access.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Terra Cotta warriors are in Xian, a several hour flight from Beijing.

Beijing is about two hours from the port and the Great Wall is further.

You should join the Roll Call for the cruise.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Terra Cotta warriors are in Xian, a several hour flight from Beijing.

Beijing is about two hours from the port and the Great Wall is further.

You should join the Roll Call for the cruise.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

This is a good recommendation that Paul has made to you, and once on the roll call for people who will be embarking on the exact same cruise as you, you can post an enquiry asking if anyone is arrange a `private` trip to the Great Wall of China and ask if there are vacancies for your group to join them - this cuts down the costs for everyone concerned. They will give you an idea of the itinerary and if it suits you join up! It certainly costs a lot less than the Cruise`s organised trips; is much more flexible and you have the fun of being in a smaller party and getting to know other people. Have a wonderful trip, I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

• 1 year later...

Archived