use a travel agent?

michka

Good Day: I’m new to this board (or any other board, cruise or otherwise) and I’m totally enjoying reading about everyone’s comments and feedback. Thanks to all.

I've got a question; I’ve read the guidelines and I’m hoping not to insult any travel agents with this question, but I’m noticing while reading these boards that although many of the writers appear very knowledgeable about the particulars of cruise lines, destinations and ships, still most seem to book through travel agents.

I’m a little bit of a ‘control freak’, and although I can certainly appreciate a travel agent is invaluable in booking a trip if you don’t know where you’re going, etc., I find with booking a cruise, if you book with an agent, the cruise line won’t answer any questions directly to the traveller without going through the agent. I've found prices directly from the cruise line are competitive with most on-line agencies, and I somehow feel safer with giving my money directly to the cruise line than an on-line booking agent.

Are there benefits to using a travel agent I don’t know about?

Again, not tryin' to step on any toes here...just asking a question:)

I really can't make a comparison since I haven't given my money directly to the cruise line for several years now. I guess the reason I prefer my TA is that she's always been friendly and given me great service. She has in the past found me good deals, applied a coupon to one cruise while I was off on another, is easy to communicate with either online or by phone, and went to bat for us when our last cruise dropped in price, getting us a nice upgrade. I'm sure everyone has reasons why they prefer to book with either a TA or through the cruiseline. That's mine. :)

Our experience is about the same. Generally the prices have been lower through our online TA. They have one representative that is "ours". She has:

• Gone to bat for a credit from her own agency.
  • Been able to apply coupons from NCL even though we had not received the coupons from MNBA yet.
  • Straightened out a problem with cruise line air fare. We booked a cruise while on a cruise. The cruise consultant said that we could drop the cruise air any time up to 30 days before sail date. Got home, checked prices, tried to cancel. "No dice", said the cruise line. She got it dropped ;)

• 4 weeks later...

A good travel agent (ask your friends) is an invaluable ally in case any thing goes wrong. I was an agent for 25 years-now retired- and the suppliers -cruise lines- would rather talk to a professional about any glitch.;) Also you have a much better chance of getting some perks-upgrades, discounts etc if you are working with an agent whose company does a volume business with the cruise lines. It shouldn'y cost you any more and it should save you money or get a better value for yoyr money.:)

I agree with the above posts.

I have gotten much better pricing from my online TA's and they have gone to bat for me on a few issues regarding coupons, free upgrades, etc.

I recently booked the carnival Valor for next April on-line.

Quoted 855pp for a balcony. Carnival quoted me 935pp for the same thing.

That's $160 savings between the two of us!

I have checked repeatedly to see if the cruiseline would match an online price and have yet to have one do it.

Good Luck!

Donna

I book thru a TA jsut for the convenience of having her get on the phone to line out things with the cruise line. I call her and tell her what ship, what date, and a cabin location and she books it. Most flights and hotels I book myself, but will see if she can beat the price and get a commission for it. But the biggest thing is I call her and she fights things out with the line. :)

Archived